Rownd a Rownd

I had heard it on RaR before (I think I heard it from Jason first). I see Gweiadur considers it short for a phethau felly - not quite the same etymology as GPC but similar.

Another contraction that I’ve heard a few times on RaR ever since learning the word is fatha which means more or less “like”, e.g. fatha Superman “like Superman” in one episode.

If I remember correctly, @aran told me that this is likely/possibly from yr un fath â “(in) the same manner as” (from math).

5 Likes

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

Never shop a mate? Or admit to being a twit? No I don’t see why he and his solicitor came up with Guilty. As for loves middle aged dreams, no flies on Cathryn are there?

I don’t think Robbie shows anyone much respect to be fair. I’m hoping Vince comes along and sets him straight, especially as his behavior is affecting Owain. He seems to be the only parent with any sense. I’ve really been Team Vince these past few episodes. I think he may be a close second to Rhys as my favorite character.

Lowri and Kelvin are always talking about how they can’t afford vacations. I don’t know if they can even afford to move out which is worrying. They either have a lot of debt, can’t budget, or are both making low wages. I find the later difficult to believe. Surely, they would all benefit from their own space.

1 Like

To be fair, he seemed genuinely upset at the news Kay and Lowri brought back from the magistrate’s court.[quote=“Xcrunner10, post:743, topic:578”]
He seems to be the only parent with any sense. I’ve really been Team Vince these past few episodes. I think he may be a close second to Rhys as my favorite character.
[/quote]

He’s been pretty consistently a good guy in the time I’ve been watching. He did kind of slip from grace at one point, by embarking on a flirtation with Lowri - which was reciprocated. She was probably cheesed off with Kelvin at the time, and Vince had been cheesed off with Sophie (his then wife) for a while. It might have become a full-blown affair, but then Owain got knocked down (arguably because Vince was not supervising him…he was too busy in a wyneb-i-wyneb sgwrs with Lowri in the K-Kabs office…which was recorded on CCTV. Ken saw the video, and the story came out. Kelvin punched Vince on the chin and knocked him down, but it didn’t develop into a fight. Vince said he was entitled. Somehow Kelvin and Lowri patched it up (and I think baby Mia was the result…). But Vince and Sophie eventually divorced.

but re: 07/11/2017:

Iolo and Cathryn: o dear oh dear oh dear…

Kelvin: Oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear…!

Erin a Rhys: aw! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was only thinking, last night, that I know there can be quite a lot going on in villages and my last student flat in London was apparently of great interest to the neighbours because of the antics of us four female students and our many visitors! Our downstairs neighbours were 3 strippers, but they lived totally blameless lives at home! (We took great delight in inviting them to parties to see the reactions when our friends asked, "Which college are you and were told, “Oh, I’m not at College, I’m a stripper!”) But the goings on in R&R are something else!! Are there any ordinary families, Mam, Dad and kids? No stepkids, fno half-brother/sisters? Every day story of Gogledd folk it is not!
Edit: to @mikeellwood who had read it, you will note i have corrected the professional designation of my neighbours, having remembered it!

1 Like

U
S
U
A
L

W
A
R
N
I
N
G

Still not sure about Kelvin. Why plead guilty? I presume 10 k is what matters, re Erin, not time! Gets her £1,000 even if it takes her a week! And Cathryn is not a nice lady! How many of them has she ‘seen’?

We learned that the affair with Iolo had been going on for about a couple of months. I think we the viewers were only let in on the secret about a month ago, so I found that interesting. They think they have shut Erin up with their little play act but she’s sure to catch them “at it” again, and as she doesn’t seem to have really learned to grow up, I think she may decide to cause mischief in revenge for having been fooled. I liked Matthew’s comment that they might as well put an advert in the shop window about it. :slight_smile:

Let’s hope Kelvin can get a good lawyer. Maybe Kay would put some of her £10,000 towards his fees…come to think, RaR doesn’t have a lawyer, does it? We need some series crossover…

1 Like

Just realised - Ron must be Kelvin’s Taid musn’t he? When he gets to hear of Kelvin’s predicament, surely he’d want to help?

Another thing I thought of… when Terry was told that Kelvin had been caught smuggling drugs, he said, “but the boy doesn’t even smoke” (or something like that).

And then I thought, nobody on RaR smokes, do they? In a population of even that modest size, I would have expected at least a smoker or two. Or is smoking really so out of fashion in the UK these days that you’d be hard pressed to find a smoker in a random population sample?

Jason? Erin? Kay? I could well imagine one of those smoking cigarettes somehow, yet they never do (or at least it’s never mentioned).

On the other hand – as on Star Trek – they never visit the loo, either. So who knows what they’re doing while the camera is not pointed at them.

I’d say it’s out of fashion in what you might call educated circles. Not so uncommon in what you might call working class circles. The public smoking bans means that it’s harder for people to find places to smoke.[quote=“philipnewton, post:749, topic:578”]
Jason? Erin? Kay? I could well imagine one of those smoking cigarettes somehow, yet they never do (or at least it’s never mentioned).
[/quote]

Definitely Jason, and Maybe Kay & Ken. I’m sure it was pretty common among taxi-drivers at one time (and professional drivers generally) to smoke, to help while away the many waiting times. I’m not sure to what extent smoking restrictions limit that nowadays. (Edit: I wonder if people are allowed to smoke at the tables outside Copa?)

Edit2: Oh yes, was going to say that as RaR originally started as a programme aimed at young people, they may have a policy never to show smoking.

2 Likes

I suspect S4C has an anti smoking policy. It is ironic that the only program set in the here and now in which I notice a lot of smoking is Casualty on BBC1! I suppose Holby City is the same but I never liked that so do not watch! Cop shows tend to show smoking. Anyone remember if Y Gwyll does?

No (I don’t remember), but the new “Bore Mercher” has a tiny bit in.

Not sure about ‘Bang!’ either! :smile:

I haven’t finished the latest episode yet but Michelle is getting on my last nerve about how Meical spends his own money. I doubt Terry is charging them an extravagant amount for the new kitchen. I’m sure the 9,000 is plenty for a kitchen that size. At this point I’m hoping he makes another pledge to Erin and gives her all the money. There are worse things than not having an updated kitchen. Look at poor Lowri and Kelvin :pensive:

Ugh Vince, my new favorite person. He’s trying so hard!

I had to look up salad cream (Robbie’s sandwich). We don’t have it in America that I’m aware of. It seems similar to mayonnaise.

1 Like

There something in salad cream which I hate! When I was young and food was or had recently been rationed, mayonnaise was never seen. Salad cream was all we had and I just ate undressed salad. I very nervously tried mayonnaise when it reappeared and wow, delicious! I don’t know what is in Salad Cream!

Agreed.

And what happened to “You broke it, you fix it”? Why should he have to pay for her little stunt with the sledgehammer?

1 Like

I do. You’re probably best not knowing. :mask:
Actually we do have it, and sometimes I like it, but it is definitely too different to be a substitute for mayo. I gather it was used instead of mayo because you could make it with powdered egg and fillers, and it takes an age to go off, so was a good alternative in times of scarcity. I know someone who eats it with peanut butter in a sandwich :confounded:

2 Likes

My father likes salad cream quite a lot as well - not always easy to find British salad cream here in Germany so he occasionally imports it.

Perhaps it’s also due to his age, i.e. it was what was around when he grew up so that’s what he acquired a taste in.

1 Like

I learned to hate it! And @cat-1 peanut butter too! Very fussy eater me! Well not so much learned to hate, it was :expressionless: at first taste!

1 Like

I’m not always a fan of peanut butter either! Good with chocolate but certainly not with salad cream! I’m more of a cheese and pickle person myself! :cheese: I wonder if the pizza parlour in R&R ever uses Welsh cheeses?? :pizza: