Rownd a Rownd

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. During the northern bootcamp 2013 we were lucky enough to have a guided tour of the set and learn a lot of the tricks of the trade mentioned in these videos. I wasn’t watching R&R then so none of the sets meant anything to me, I would love to repeat that experience now, I think I would get so much more out of it.

2 Likes

There are some other RaR videos on Youtube, including a day in the life of the actor who plays Meical (with more “behind the scenes”), the same guy running the London Marathon, and behind the scenes of the caravan fire episode (I was watching it by the time that episode played, so very interesting for me). Quite a few others though.

At least someone on RaR was wearing her cenhinen Bedr today:

Da iawn ti Dani.

I only just found this posting!! I’ve started to watch and will come back to them because they are fascinating, Diddoral iawn iwan!

1 Like

I hope you enjoy them! It’s very “gog” as you will have noticed.
I don’t know whether you’d call it dialect, strong accent, or what, but I find some characters quite hard to understand. Perhaps just extremely colloquial and they speak quickly and run words into each other a bit more than the others.

Sorry, it was the ‘behind the scenes’ stuff I just started to watch. I have been watching all this season of R&R. Most of the time I spent in Gogledd Cymru was in that area, so I don’t mind the accent at all, and Jac adds a bit of de now and again!

Yes, sorry, I realised that later, and deleted about half my first draft of my post, which I realised was then irrelevant.
I’d looked at some of their youtube vids before, but only recently found the “behind the scenes” ones. I found the “Meical” actor just as hard to understand out-of-character as in it!

“David” was brought up in the De I think, even though his dad Ron is a Gog. The other “token De’s” :slight_smile: that I can remember are Llio and Cathrin. Oh, Carys also, Llio’s sister.

Good to see that Alwena made it back safely from “Byw Celwydd”!

Not for long I guess, but nice to have her around again, if only for a while.

1 Like

I’ve just seen there’s a new family making an appearance too, maybe running the garage.

1 Like

Here is one of them:

http://www.s4c.cymru/caban/?p=13641&lang=en

(Another refugee from Byw Celwydd! - thought I recognised the face, and an actor of that name was in at least one episode of Byw Celwydd according to IMDB, although it isn’t mentioned in that article).

1 Like

I suppose the number of actors who can do so yn Gymraeg is limited. Also, if you know a person and they’ve done well in one programme, it is tempting to go with what you know rather than risking a new untried person. Which makes it very hard to get going!!! I am used to knowing a pretty large number of those in any S4C production!

1 Like

And I have now come across Richard Elfyn (the wonderfully wicked Meirion Llywelyn in Byw Celwydd) a couple of times on Radio Cymru.
Edit: e.g. here

Mini-spoiler Dydd Mawrth, 19 Ebrill 2016

Does anyone else think they are lining up Sian and John to be an “item”?

Ydw!

1 Like

Well (for the moment anyway), the Sian and John story seems to have subsided, but I have another surmise:

Will Lowri make a play for Jac…? Thought she was being fairly bold in taking him for a drink, and getting what looked like half-sloshed…admittedly they had been joined by Carys, although that had not been the original plan…if Carys hadn’t turned up, the night might have ended differently…
…Lowri almost strayed off the path of marital virtue once before, and it seems as though she’s become bored with “Kelv” once more …
…or am I reading too much into her “concern” for Jac…?

I always find it fun when soap life sort of intersects with real life (however obliquely), and the chance came again in the 16 Mehefin 2016 episode (still available at time of writing):
http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=529479445

As part of his running battle with Meical and Michelle, Arthur decides to “lose” a parcel he is supposed to deliver to them. We get a nice shot of the address:

Meical Samuel Williams
4 Lôn Pen Nebo
Cilbedlam
Ynys Môn
LL59 5AL

Now, we’ve come across that postcode before on parcel labels (Arthur has form for this kind of thing), and if you feed it into Google maps / streetview, it is slap bang at the set of Round a Round in Dale Street. Now according to

http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=dale-street-or-cilbedlam-menai-bridge

…this street is also known as “Cilbedlam”. (Although on the street sign you can see in streetview, it has another name).

However, I had a nose around with streetview, and if you look near the end of Hill Street (which is not far from Dale Street, you see a street sign which bears both the English name of Dale Street, and the Welsh name: “Lôn Pen Nebo”, and if you move the viewpoint up the street a bit: bingo! you find the row of houses where Meical/Michelle, Iris/Arthur, and Vince/Cathryn all live; very recognisable when you see them, but I’d never been able to find them (on streetview) before.

(Would now like to find the houses of: David, Wyn, Llio/Iolo/Carys, Terry/Glenda/Sophie).

:slight_smile:

@mikeellwood Thanks for that, I’m having lots of fun poking around on streetview! I found where the cafe/newsagent/etc are, too :slight_smile:

There is no episode for yesterday on the International webpage - was it not shown at all, or just missing for me? :frowning:

I hadn’t noticed it go! We are/have been in political meltdown and I think it got lost in the wash!
Looking on Catch Up on Sky, actually I think it was pel droed which took over - TNS (New Saints) playing some one in the cup for teams in Europe that win promotion to their Premier Leagues…er…I think!!
@mikeellwood Do you know?

1 Like

@tatjana If you are not too busy packing - above you will see I quoted all of a post. On my edit screen, only the bit I meant to quote, about the episode appeared, The same thing happened in a mailing to you on another thread once! I don’t know why I’m picking up unwanted bits which I can’t edit out because I can’t see them!! Any ideas?

Tagging @AnnaC:

It looks like there are two episodes tonight, so I guess Tuesday’s just got held over.

1 Like