Rownd a Rownd

Aha, I had not spotted that.

Yes, I think so. One of the few occasions when ladies still wear hats, and Glenda would certainly be a hat wearer. :slight_smile:

There was a time when ladies of my mother’s generation would not be seen out without a hat*. They might go out without a coat, but never without a hat (and probably gloves).

(* or at least a headscarf).

1 Like

We usually joke about new hats when someone looks close to popping the question. Not that I’m ever wearing a hat to a wedding ever. :womans_hat:

1 Like

I LOVE headscarves! Again, I’m never going to wear one, but you do not mess with a lady wot wears a headscarf, do you?

1 Like

http://www.lots.uk.com/images/auction/jean-alexander-2.jpg

no luv.

1 Like

Of course, they can be classy as well…

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/cms/binary/6860340.jpg?size=640x420

I have to congratulate Lowri Gwynne on her acting this week, superb. She really looks like she’s worked up for real. I’m backing her side of the argument with Kay too, Kelvin really F’d up in a hugely selfish way and now she’s left to suffer.

2 Likes

NB always wore hats to weddings until knocked one getting into car. Hat blew into road under wheel. Attended wedding minus hat!

1 Like

I think she might be my hero! Hilda, that is!

1 Like

She could wear a bin on her head, mind, and it would still look good.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you for the cultural background! Diolch i chi’ch dau!

I would like to point out that hats have a practical use. In winter they keep the head warm and dry, in summer, just the latter. I always wore a hat to watch rugby and not necessarily a red and white bobble. I had a black ‘fur’ one which was incredibly good at absorbing the rain without letting it reach my head! I remember taking it off on the train and finding it was really, really heavy due to the shear weight of water! I was raised to always, always wear a hat to church - especially if you are the preacher! But now, if I was able to get to a wedding, I think I’d try to get one of those little things called a ‘fascinator’ which seems to be a tiny thing with at most two flowers and a bow!

1 Like

Also it’s one of the only things that will cure a bad hair day. Of course, then you can’t take it off, and may overheat. The last wedding I went to (bareheaded as ever) was a sea of fascinators. I spent the entire service looking out over the congregation, admiring all the sticky-up bits.

2 Likes

I should add they are also utterly responsible for bad hair days too! Hat’s that is, not fascinators. Who knows what fascinators are responsible for…

1 Like

When I wore hats, i had long hair ina pony tail. Brush it/grab it/wrap it! Having early retired at fifty, I stopped ‘covering the grey’ had it cut and found out that hats and short hair don’t always go well,together. Leave it on until you get home!

1 Like

And from Wikipedia I have learned that there is such a thing as a “hatinator”! Part hat, part fascinator.

The things that fashion comes up with…

2 Likes

Facinating stuff! You learn something every day.

I suppose fascinators are what Fergie and Andy’s daughter’s wear in the Harry Enfield series “The Windsors”. I got a good laugh out of those, and then went a googling for pictures of the actual daughters…and it turns out that’s what they wear in real life! :slight_smile:

:wink: Very true to life that series!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Good luck Iolo, trying to explain that you were in two minds about the whole thing!
A lot of that going on. People getting pressured into situations!
I loved the Mr. Lloyd suggestion! :wink:

1 Like

:slight_smile: But purists may not like “dawnseisio” :slight_smile:

Another linguistic note, I noticed Arthur (I think it was) using the “ddaru” construction, which Gareth King seems very fond of, but I’d never actually noticed it in RaR. (It’s a Gog-only thing). Mind you, I only noticed it because I had the Welsh subtitles on. I might have missed it on previous occasions without the Welsh s/t.

And how does Cathryn think she is going to “esbonio” to Vince?

One possible plothole though: I think we saw Cathryn make the booking with the hotel. So why did Iolo receive a letter from them? (Why would anyone receive a letter? Wouldn’t email be more likely nowadays?).

And technically, Vince has committed a probably sackable offence by “interfering with Her Majesty’s mails”. If Iolo wanted to be vindictive, he could cause Vince a deal of trouble. But I imagine he is unlikely to.

And where will Cathryn sleep tonight…?

1 Like

I thought the same about the hotel, email and Cathryn’s booking. Is it possible they send a paper acknowledgment and that Cathryn didn’t want it turning up at home, so told them to send it to Iolo?

2 Likes