Rownd a Rownd

Mike, I don’t think \i remember Griff - before I started watching I think. Can you tell us anything about him? Did he duff Lowrie up? Would Robbie remember the kidnap and grab-back and understand anything about why he ended up with Lowrie and not Griff? I suspect insecurity there!

No, I have never seen Griff, so that must have been before my time, as it were.

1 Like

Orangwtan! And diolch for posting that, it had me snorting and chortling. Mae o’n mor rwd!

1 Like

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Cake and eating it spring to mind! John needs to try to, understand what Siân is facing vis a vis her job if she keeps the baby!
Robbie - no surprisss!
Happy Christmas hovering agead! :smile: :wink:

That’s a good point.

But apart from that, if they can make it work, it might be good for all of them. e.g. it might just bring out the maternal side in Erin, and make her think of someone else for a change.

I wonder how old John is supposed to be. Well into his 40s, presumably, and maybe a tad more.
Siân is no doubt a bit younger. She was almost married to Matthew at one point, and I assume he might still be in his 30s, and so might Siân be, although maybe not for much longer.

BTW, didn’t we discover that Glenda had been a midwife (and didn’t she deliver Harri’s baby when they couldn’t quite make it to the hospital in time)? Soapland is never afraid to re-use a good storyline… :slight_smile:
(Oh hang on, maybe it was Alwenna).

Robbie: not condoning him or anything, but why hadn’t the little chump eaten the evidence already!!!??? (but maybe he was planning to sell them).

I really wasn’t sure what to think when Robbie tore up his own shoes… didn’t he know how little Lowri could afford anything at that point?

Though I suppose she tried to keep the children out of her financial worries.

Also, I’m just as confused as John, when he asked, “Why did you tell me that you were expecting, when you’ve already arranged everything?”

Was Siân expecting John to change her mind and cancel the appointment? I don’t quite understand how it would be helpful to tell him that he’s a Dad for just a few weeks.

Also, I thought that the Band Pres Cilbedlam would be a “Money Band” and wondered what that might be… something to raise money for charity? It wasn’t till the rewatching that the trombones in the picture told me it must be a “Brass Band” instead!

And speaking of subtitles – right at the end, Siân says “I’m nervous” according to the English subtitles, and I thought at first that she had said Mae gen i nerfau as well – but the Welsh subtitles have her saying Mae gen i 'ngyrfa “I have my career” which I assume is what she actually said!

I wonder whether the subtitles (both English and Welsh) come from listening to the sound track or whether they come straight from the written script!

2 Likes

See thread ‘Beware of Subtitles’! I started it because it applies to all programs not just R&R. In fact the programme I gave as an example was News!!
Thanks to years of watching the Eisteddfod, I knew pres = brass = money (an idea familiar in Yorkshiire, "where there’s muck there’s brass!). And arian = silver = money
My personal feeling re-Robbie is that he is too self centred to know or care whether his present can be afforded. He is angry because he’d taken to his adopted Dad and now he’s lost him and it isn’t fair!
The idea that a baby brother or sister might help cure Erin’s immaturity…mm…well, we still might see!

1 Like

My guess would be from the written script, because occasionally they will have the “correct” form, although the actor may say it slightly differently.

That’s interesting. I hadn’t spotted it. I’d still say it’s from the script though. The script is in Welsh, so the subtitles can come (more or less) directly from the script. And then my guess is the Welsh subtitles are translated into English, and I think in this case someone just slipped up. Admittedly, it could also be that someone heard “'ngyrfa” and guessed “nerves”.

I sort of think Siân wanted to be talked out of the abortion, just as (IMHO) she actually wanted to be talked into getting married. In both cases she was a bit taken back by John’s actual reaction. John seems to be a fairly “in your face” “what you see is what you get” kind of guy, while Siân is a bit more uptight, and keeps her true feelings bottled up to a large extent.

2 Likes

I’ve sometimes wondered whether he may have Asperger’s Syndrome — I see myself in him sometimes. His directness, his inability to catch subtexts easily, etc.

If Siân wants to stay together with John, I hope she will learn to be more explicit about her wishes! I think it would make life easier for both of them.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Fair play to Kay - she really does seem to be more supportive of Lowri. Instead of “what were you thinking of, putting my daughter in danger by driving while tired”, she was simply glad that everyone was safe. (As was I, for that matter! I don’t like all these traffic accidents.)

I feel sorry for Siân. “I don’t expect you to change, but you have to act differently” is not really an easy target to meet.

And is Dani flirting with Jac? She certainly seemed to be pushing herself into his life & housing decisions a fair bit. (And I was surprised that after Jac’s initial reticence – “I have a bed already and I quite like it” – he was so quick to decide to move in, “as soon as possible”.)

Totally agree! I also noticed that Robbie seems to be pretty close to learning a lesson which many older folk in R&R have still failed to learn, i.e. that the entire world does not revolve around them. that good experiences are not always deserved and neither are bad ones!
Very sorry indeed for Sian. Rhys seems older than his father in terms of wisdom!
Have we seen the, I suspect, dump currently inhabited by Jac? If it is as bad as I fancy, temptation was just too much for the poor lad! But he needs to beware of Boss-lady! Naughty Dani! Trying to get off with the hired help is very bad! Exploitation in fact!
Is Arthur actually going to come to a sad end due to setting up unsafe electrics all over flammable stands? Will the shops survive or will R&R end in a blaze of… no, not glory, stupidity?

1 Like

It’s that time of the year again – for the RaR Christmas special!

This time, featuring the ghosts of the past, present, and future.

1 Like

Yes, we’ve seen it at least once – Lowri visited him there at one point not so long ago. I think it was shortly after Jac had discovered David with Rhys and the question was whether or how to break the news to Dani – I think Lowri had gone to him to tell him that she couldn’t keep it quiet.

It didn’t look particularly like a dump to me, from the little I remember. I think it was a rented room in a bigger house – up on a bit of a hill I think?

In that case, does Jac fancy Llio? I honestly don’t think he fancies Dani, and is thus playing with fire! What is the item linked in by @philipnewton? I dare not look in case it’s an actual episode I have yet to see!

I thought he fancies Dani at least a little bit.

For example, Lowri asked him what the main draw of Llio’s place was – the rent? living close to work? living closer to Dani? And he said, that had nothing at all to do with it, but I felt it was a sort of “methinks he doth protest too much”.

And at some point in the David saga (I don’t remember whether it was after David had officially broken up with Dani), I thought Lowri said that as Dani was now single, Jac was free to make a move on her since didn’t he fancy her? I think at the time he said that he had used to be didn’t at the moment – but I also thought then that he was just being polite, not frank.

A Christmas special – they did one in 2016 and in 2015; perhaps they do one every year.

It’s not an episode and not part of the storyline, so I don’t think there are any spoilers for anything in it.

This one is based on the Scrooge story.

Yes, Jac has a long history of fancying Dani, which was one of the complicating factors when he saw Rhys with David - I think Lowri at first didn’t believe him, ascribing it to jealousy.

1 Like

I knew Jac’s history with Dani, but thought he had seen her feet of clay when sheacted as she did over David. If you all disagree, I guess I was wrong! Thanks for info re-Christmas special!

1 Like

I think this is right. He definitely fancied Dani at one time, and thought she was wasting herself on David, even before it was revealed that David was gay. Jac always had an enmity towards David, and it was mutual. Remember the fight that landed Jac in hospital.

I thought when we’d seen Jac’s place before, it looked quite nice, and it had a great sea (or estuary) view, although I suppose there are a lot of those in the area.

I couldn’t quite understand Jac’s reluctance to move in with Llio. I wondered if he had some secret love interest that we didn’t know about, and wanted to pursue it away from the prying eyes of friends and colleagues.

I have a feeling that Jac and Dani will end up together one day. Although I suppose Jac and Llio getting together is a possibility - Jac will certainly be more fun the the Bio(?) lady. (or was she a Geography teacher … no no let’s not be cruel to Geography teachers! :slight_smile: ).

I’m pretty sure that Lowri fancies Jac actually, but I don’t think she’ll do anything about it (well not unless the scriptwriters become really desperate for a story-line…).
BTW, in the programme website list of characters, we are told that Jac is a “love em and leave em” type of character. We haven’t actually seen much evidence of that, to be honest.

1 Like

That was before my time I’m afraid

Beth Biol was her name, if I recall correctly. I don’t think it was stated what exactly she teaches.

I presumed it was Beth…somebody who teaches Bioleg. Just as you might be Meic Math. If your name didn’t alliterate well, you would just get some other nickname!

1 Like