Rownd a Rownd

Aha! found it.

(Doesn’t (I don’t think) directly refer to Llio, but she was definitely “la femme” for whom one must “cherchez” in that case).

2 Likes

Matthew looks a lot ypunger, but Siân has just had a hair cut! And there was me thinking she was an innocent cop with no previous experience! Well, she is, but she knows how to stand up for herself! Watch it John!

1 Like

Ah, thanks for that backstory!

I remember that… but I thought that he had promised Carys to get out of the phones business?

Though I suppose it’s possible he just switched from phones to buying and selling something else.

Poor Carys. I think she’d really like him to have a solid, “proper” job and to spend time with her and Tom.

Just to yr ast drws nesa (or something along those lines).

Thanks for the video!

Also interesting to see how some people have changed and others haven’t – it’s most obvious with the younger ones, of course, e.g. Dani (quite a bit slimmer in that video) and to some extent Lowri, I thought. I noticed that Dewi was there then, too.

Who was the young lady in white with the bouquet of flowers in each hand who called out “Siân!” down the aisle right after Siân left at 0:21? I don’t think I know her. Is that Nel?

The video is from May 2013, so this is about four-and-a-half years ago.

Also, funny how the Fedra i esbonio! from Mathew at 0:40 was echoed just this episode (as Alla i esbonio! this time) at 15:58 on the Clic player! Is he always having to explain himself to his partners? :smiley:

(I’ve been wondering for a while just what he sees in Sophie.)

I had always assumed that she does still work there to some extent (in addition to her paper route) – I presume her hours might fluctuate depending on whether it’s term-time or school holidays.

1 Like

@mikeellwood Thanks for all the backstory and the video! I remembered reading something about a previous relationship of Matthew’s, but had forgotten it was with Siân. (I started watching right before Nel died -that’s when it started to be available internationally.)

1 Like

Oh well spotted. Come to think, where Siân used to live (in Alwyn & Nel’s old house) was next door to Llio’s place (that she rents from Philip). I don’t specifically remember Siân moving, but by the time John & family moved to their present house, it turned out that Siân was across the road.

I never saw that, but I did have a break from watching RaR for a while, and it was probably in that period. Whatever he promised her, I doubt if he ever intended to give up wheeler-dealing completely; that seems to be his main business interest. And he is “known to the police” (& hence usually his dealings with Siân are a bit frosty).

Yes - I guess she was chief bridesmaid, being Siân’s niece.

Well spotted again! I must watch out for that. I imagine it’s a well-used line in soapland, as is “Dw i’n mor sori…”.

Indeed!

2 Likes

D
R
A
G
G
I
N
G
out
the
plot line
and the suspense!
So, next? Babi T wakes, Carys bursts into tears of relief, Barry in damger of passing out due to nervous exhaustion.

1 Like

Hard not to feel we are being manipulated.

On a linguistic note, I was interested to see (in the Welsh subtitles), just before they started to try to wake Tom up, the doctor said: “…cyn gynted ag y bo modd”, which looks a bit subjunctive-ish to me, presumably meaning approximately: “as soon as there (may) be a way” or something like that.

Perhaps this sort of language is used in delicate situations when you want to soften the language a bit.

1 Like

Michelle’s cash deal (behind Meical’s back): what could possibly go wrong …?

We talked about this before, but it does look like we are being telegraphed a breakup between Matthew and Sophie and a hook-up between Matthew and Llio.

And for once, I was cheering on Kay and her interventions in the café! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hadn’t even thought of the “behind Meical’s back” angle.

My first thought when she mentioned “cash” would be that that would break the deal! “Ma’am, I’m a law-abiding citizen. If you want to work for us, we’ll keep this all above the board. I prefer to deal with professionals.” And so much for Paid â chodi cywilydd arna i “Don’t embarrass me”! Though it seems that the boss was not quite so law-abiding if it can save him a few quid…

Indeed; good on her!

Mine too, actually. I thought that had put the kibosh on it.

Well, I might be wrong about that, but I think she waited until Meical had gone outside to take the phone call from the “customer” before cash was mentioned.

2 Likes

Incidentally, who owns the garage and who works there?

We mostly only see Rhys there – John just on the odd occasion to check something in the books.

Does John own the garage, or does Rhys? Is Rhys employed by John? Does John work at all, or just bask in the money that Rhys brings in?

I had to think of fhat when John saw Rhys in the Copa and told him that this wasn’t spare time – can’t Rhys divide up his time himself, and decide himself how much money to make that month?

1 Like

I think John owns the garage and he set Rhys up in it - as manager/mechanic perhaps.
I rather got the impression at the beginning that John was at his wits end - about a lot of things, including what to do with Rhys. It seemed like John almost foisted the garage on Rhys whether he wanted it or not, and he didn’t seem at all enthusiastic about it at first. But he seems to have settled down to it now and has people like Barry depending on his services.

I doubt if John ever gets his hands dirty - doubt if he knows a spark plug from a carburetor - think he’s more at home looking after the books. :slight_smile:

In the character webpage at S4C I think it says he’s a property developer.
At one time, it seemed he had a day job at a gym - not as a worker, but perhaps as manager or owner (more likely). However, we haven’t seen him there lately. It’s never really clear how he spends his time when he’s not at home, or at the garage.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly! Sure feels like there is going to be some further angle to all this…

Yup, I think it’s definitely coming!

This seems right to me, too.

As far as what John does, somehow I got the impression that he sells cars (at a dealership or somewhere), but it’s entirely possible that I’ve misunderstood something along the way.

I really want Tom bach to wake up and be fine! I really like both Carys and Llio and I don’t want their relationship ruined, or for Llio to have to carry a heavy burden of guilt (even though I do think she should have been more careful).

2 Likes

I admit, I have never considered John as a candidate for dubious wheeler-dealing. I got the idea he moved the family away from whomever Erin had got mixed up with - possibly a teacher she had seduced! Rhys was bought the garage and I think, at first, felt out of his depth, not sure if he could run it, used to just getting told, “Service the red Citroen” or whatever, but he found, with minimal help from Dad, he did just fine and he was all but wed to a very bright man, so not as foolish as he had seen himself! Now he knows he is competent, but John hasn’t quite accepted that. But what does John do??? I never really took enough notice in him to tell, some sort of dealing, but???

1 Like

@henddraig No, no, not what I meant! Maybe it’s s cultural difference…a dealership here is simply a place where a certain brand of cars is sold, perfectly legitimate. I simply meant I thought John might be a car salesman, no “dubious wheeler-dealing” implied or involved!

2 Likes

No i didn’t mean you thought John was doing anythung wrong. Just that when asked how he makes a living, I found it hard to think of anything legal that fits! You can’t live on intetest nowadays! WHAT intetest??

1 Like

I’m sure John is as honest as the day is long. But he still might be a natural wheeler-dealer. Some people are just like that. Wyn is another, except that he is probably more ruthless. He’d (Wyn) never break the law, but he might do down a “friend” if it suited him (I think). I don’t think John would. Might just be an age/experience thing.

2 Likes

Diddorol iawn! Pwy ydy Dylan? I thought he looked familiar. Is he someone I should know?

1 Like

You know you’ve been watching Rownd a Rownd too long when…

…you dream about meeting the actress who plays Llio at a kind of quiz night.

I was too scared to speak Welsh to her, though, and only chatted briefly with her in English.

4 Likes

Siân implied that he yn rhedeg busnes gwerthu ceir ceiniog a dimai - the English subtitles say “sell tatty cars”. So I think you’re right.

And that VW Passat that broke down was a “part-ex” (not a term I had heard before but which I gather means that someone bought a car from John and paid him partly in cash and partly by trading in his old car), which is also consistent with John’s being a car salesperson – and given the Welsh original, I suppose he runs the place rather than just being employed at one.

On an unrelated note, I wonder where the got the ultrasound images from – do those machines save video that you can play back later, or was that a live moving image, and if so, from whom?

1 Like