Rownd a Rownd

Did others notice the problem arising from recrding drama? Nobody could have guessed that Gwyl Dewi would be so snowy that most schools were closed! But it wasn’t very ‘real’ to see nice spring weather in R&R when it was actually very snowy! :snowflake:

1 Like

I hink I am right that Barry hasn’t married Carys, so is he trying to punish her and show her who is boss because they have no formal written agreement re-workshop? I used to like Barry. Now? I want to wring his neck!

As (I think) Carys said, he needs to “tyfu i fyny”.

3 Likes

It’s interesting for me to watch this programme now. I dipped into it a few times ages ago but I was rather overwhelmed by the Gog accents and slid back to Pobol y Cwm :slight_smile:

Since then I’ve heard the northern Welsh listening exercises over and over again when I’ve been running 5-day Intensives and I’ve noticed a huge difference! I now have virtually no trouble at all understanding any of them! I’m feeling really bi-dialectal :smile:

4 Likes

@philipnewton @henddraig sorry to stick my nose in but I heard “… yffach …”, used a lot in PyC that I’ve always assumed is a southern sort of equivalent to ‘uffern’.

1 Like

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Now, Jac off to family, good! (Hope he finds peace with them even if unable to forgive Tad).
Family off to Ron, good. Have I met him? Memory failure!
Barry situation - bad! worse! ofnadwy! Giving Arthur an excuse to shine as good husband is the ultimate sin!!!

He came up to Glanrafon after David died, and stayed in David’s flat for a couple of days to wrap up things.

He was “not amused” that Meical was not speaking to David.

1 Like

Can someone enlighten me as to who David was please? And what was his relationship to everyone?

Firstly, to @philipnewton Thanks, now you tell me, I remember it well!
To @Deborah-SSi David was half-brother to Meical and Kay, Ron fathered all three, but I don’t think I remember who M & K’s Mam was. I think David’s was a friend of Kay - embarrassing! David was trying to be conventional. He had lived down south and came up north ever so smart, financial adviser, helping Wyn and others. Started a conventional relationship with Dani, who fell hook, line and sinker! Problem, really David was gay or at best bi-sexual. 2nd problem, David fell for Rhys and vise versa. In the end, it had to come out because living a lie never lasts. By the time David was killed in a car crash which, in all honesty, was dear little Erin’s fault, everyone knew he was with Rhys not Dani, but she still mourns her lost love.
Everyday story of life in Gogledd Cymru??? :wink:

1 Like

Aha, that explains a lot. I was starting to wonder if David had been in a relationship with Rhys, but I couldn’t see where Dani fit into the picture. And I thought PyC was convoluted!

I went off PyC because it seemed so very convuluted, in comparison, R&R seems positively uncluttered!

Wonder if that’s actually the last we’ll see of him? It will be a shame, if so, but that’s how RaR often seems to work. Or he may disappear for months and months, and then come back, at least for a bit (like Cathryn).

This has been explained already, but just to say that Ron was a big part of the story for a while, but it seems like his time has been and gone, and I doubt if he’ll be back properly. His actor played a fairly minor part in Craith, BTW. Took me ages to recognise him. He was the father of the girl who survived an attack by Dylan. (I never could grasp or remember her name).

Barry is being an unspeakable. So is Matthew, I think.

1 Like

The nurse? Wasn’t it Lowri something, I think?

1 Like

By chance, I found an old S4C series on our smart TV, called “Pengelli”.

They seem to be running series 2, and there are some series 1 episodes. I could tell it was quite old by the lack of mobile phones, and the style of cars, and there was something about the style of production that dated it. Also, the lack of subtitles was a clue. I’ve noticed that revived old S4C series quite often don’t have subtitles. I’ve wondered about that, and speculate that it might have been because originally, things on S4C were mainly aimed at first language speakers, rather than learners, and also perhaps, there was less appreciation of the needs of the deaf or hearing-impaired.

Anyway, I noticed several actors who either were in, or had been in Rownd a Rownd (e.g. “Philip”, played by Maldwyn John) - all looking much younger. Most characters seemed to be northern speakers, so I guess it is set in north Wales, but I don’t know where.

If I read the Roman numbers correctly in the copyright line, it was made in 1995 (which doesn’t sound all that long ago to me, but - to my surprise - the arithmetic makes 23 years ago).

Does anyone remember this series from the first time around?

1 Like

Nope, but I just found it on iplayer yesterday and watched a bit of it too! Must be sommat in the water Mr E! :joy:
My attention was held by the hairstyles mainly! Did I spot Rhys Ifan’s little brother in there too?

Sorry! Couldn’t get S4C on my part of Gower! Got Channel 4 lovely from North Devon and they got S4C!!!

They were a bit “interesting” weren’t they?! :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I don’t knowingly know him.
The only definite current RaR cast member there was “Philip”, sporting a much younger hairstyle and an earring! (or earstud). Also a very young-looking “Alwyn Garej” (Siân’s brother, who moved away). Also the lady who played Cherry’s mother (Cherry and her family no longer in the programme). This lady was also the wife of the First Minister in “Byw Celwydd”.

Oh, and also Megan! - Mr Lloyd’s lady friend who jilted him and ran off with his money…! Get a time machine and call the Heddlu! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rhys, left, and the less recognisable Llŷr on the right. Pops up in Welsh stuff here and there.

2 Likes

I honestly thought, when we first saw Mam Wil, that she was a man in drag! Had we met her before? It would be hard to find someone less like Sian! Mmm…thinks, is that what Erin is aiming to become, because if so, I’d say she’s already missed, her Mam is much kinder!
I had never been so aware of the fact that parents bear heavy responsibility for how their offspring turn out as when exposed to Sophie and her brat of a son! Or is that not how it is in real life?

At first, I was convinced that I knew her face, but the more we saw of her, the less sure I became.
Wonder if she’s going to cause trouble between John and Siân?

1 Like