Rownd a Rownd

…who now appear to be getting on well again. And goodness, we saw an actual touch of humanity from Erin! Siân’s a good influence.

BTW, on Monday’s edition of his Radio Cymru business programme, Gari Wyn was in Llangefni, on Ynys Môn. (I think he’s been there before). I confessed here recently, that I hadn’t known the county town of Sir Môn was Llangefni (or even that Llangefni was on Ynys Môn…geography was never my strong point).

Anyway, I was listening out to see if the accents were similar to what we hear on RaR. I didn’t think they were. However, I’ve been told the accents on Môn can be pretty variable. Huw Garmon (John) was actually born in Llangefni, and as far as my (still incomplete!) researches have gone, he’s the only native of Ynys Môn among the main cast members (although several of them come from not far away on the mainland, e.g. Dani & Kay I think.

I heard an “yndy tad”, and “yndw tad”, and even a “croeso tad”, so that bit of RaR usage appears to be authentic to the area. :slight_smile:

Quite amused by Carys’s commandeering and use of the bolt cutters (with tips from Rhys)…however, isn’t that giving criminals ideas…?

Nice touch in giving Barry a new padlock, so he can’t really complain.

1 Like

No R&R tonight! Football! Tomorrow at 6.30 p.m. instead

2 Likes

No, just discovered that. :frowning:

I was looking at the Amserlenni on the S4C website, and there is a long description of tomorrow’s story, which I won’t quote, since I know you don’t like spoilers @henddraig , but I did notice that nice expression “ar y gweill” (as part of “lawer o waith ar y gweill”) - on the knitting needles, i.e. (work, etc) “in progress”. This was once explained to me by a kind SSiWer, and I’m glad to say it’s stuck.

2 Likes

S
p
o
I
L
E
R

I suppose Sophie is not anyway related to Erin? Bitch is too mild a term. Except, I suppose, that she must be totally lacking in confidence to react like that!
Poor Will, doesn’t seem Mam will find acceptance easy with even Rhys anti! Will Carys realise she needs to take a chaperone to the creep’s place?

1 Like

Haven’t actually watched the latest yet, but there have been distinct signs recently that Matthew has been behaving badly, and Sophie is perhaps right to mistrust him (although she is definitely a hen ast as well!).

Except that while nothing actually “happened”, Matthew was clearly hoping that something would happen (coming to her room with a bottle of wine). Unfortunately for Matthew, Owain came along and interrupted proceedings.

On a previous occasion (in the shop I think), Matthew had made a rather aggressive and unpleasant “pass” at Llio. Llio would have been justified in clocking him one.

Hopefully, she will take Llio.

Just realised there is something of a trend here.

Wondering if RaR is reflecting the recent well-publicised episodes of sexual harrassment IRL?

Oh dear RaR…don’t get too serious like PyC! :slight_smile:

Thinking back to old ti/chi discussions here, I noticed the creep trying to pull Carys didn’t say Gei di fy nhydio :slight_smile:

I must have missed that in the discussion, but I’ve now looked it up in GPC. :slight_smile:

Did he say something like “you don’t have to call me ‘chi’” ? (I don’t remember the Welsh he used).

Try Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread and the next few replies.

Yes, he said something like that - Ti ddim angen dweud chi wrtha fi neu rhywbeth fel 'na. The subtitles had “you don’t need to be so formal.”

2 Likes

I was somewhat bemused by Llio. I thought Mathew was stalking her, but it seems the other way around! I found out just after watching this about S4C, so can’t think of much else at present.

Yeah, the news re S4C looks… troubling. Difficult to see them keeping up the range of quality programming.

I think Llio has some kind of plan/ulterior motive - what, I don’t know - but I think she’s setting Matthew up for something.

Oh, and Barry, defending Carys’s honour - the old romantic!

I’m not sure exactly what she’s doing, but perhaps trying to do something clever to defend herself. I’m sure she’s the victim here.

What’s all this about S4C then? I haven’t heard anything. What have they said?

or google for “s4c funding” or “s4c licence fee”

1 Like

I am hopeless Mike. I can’t send links! But if you put
www.gov.uk and then search for Building an S4C for the Future as well as government response, you will find the report by Euryg Ogwen Williams. This is dated December 2017, but it only just got published, after the comments! You will see that Euryg is wishing all the best for S4C whereas some press reports seem to suggest otherwise!

2 Likes

So Barry in full defence mode and nasty little chancer seen off! The Llio/Sophie show continues and Philip has my sympathy for his ‘volunteering’ experience. What’s with John’s ex? Don’t trust her, myself.

2 Likes

I don’t really, either.

Also, I felt her appearance in the cemetery was, as Rhys noted, “not the right place and not the right time”. Yet she kept pushing herself at him rather than giving him space – or even time to grieve at the grave.

Meanwhile, Dylan seems to have become a more or less permanent character (while the other students are not mentioned any more at all).

That was quite a spectacle, wasn’t it! Handing over that cheque and telling her, “you don’t need to finish the work, just take the money and leave me alone”, quaking in his boots. Good to see him go.

But how will it work out between Barry and Carys? As he had said before, “this is who I am; I’ve never hidden who I am from you” – she’ll have to bear that in mind before she decides to come back. Even if he appears to agree with (most of!) her conditions… he’s not going to change fundamentally in a matter of days.

Or, perhaps, ever!
Re John’s ex - She obviously went deliberately to find Rhys after Wil mentioned he’d be there. She is pushing and pushing whenever she can find any of them. Dumped by whoever she left John for? Certainly, I’d imagine. Down on her luck? Surely! She needs telling that John has moved on and he needs to marry Sian so Madam can see that she burned her own boats and must sink or swim by her own devices!

1 Like

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

What’s the equivalent of “caught red handed” in Cymraeg? Da iawn John! Busy now, but had to lol about that!

1 Like

Am catching up a bit. In the episode of Tuesday 3rd April, I noticed in the subtitles “gwnaeth” and “gwnest”, said by Wil, and pronounced like that (I think).

I don’t think that’s the way they normally speak on RaR. Will have to try to notice if it’s something Wil usually does.

I agree that Barry isn’t going to change much. He thinks he’s clever enough to fool her. He is clever, but he might try to be too clever.

John’s ex. is ofnadwy, isn’t she?

I’m still not sure what Llio is playing at regarding Matthew. Surely not just to get him in trouble with Sophie? I can’t see that would be to her advantage.

Does anyone else think Philip is getting sweet on Lowri? That’s going to end in tears. He’s going to be set upon by Kelvin when he comes out, and also by Kay…and I think he should be more worried about Kay!

1 Like