Rownd a Rownd

No, I think he got on at Bangor. They always get on trains at Bangor in RaR. Bangor’s just across the bridge from Menai Bridge /Porthaethwy isn’t it.

And as @henddraig says, it looked like a small station where they got off.

1 Like

You are right. I was coming from the false assumption that they’d go to Llanfairpwll Station, which is pretty close.
I did some location hunting on Google Maps and Street View, and in fact Jac boards the train at Bangor. The meeting then happens at Llanfairfechan station.

3 Likes

Thank you Hendrik for the detective work.

In answer to my previous question “can you really travel direct from Bangor to Cardiff”, I have now found out that not only can you, you can do it via this rather special train:

Or at least you could in August 2017. I hope it’s still running.

And there seem to be a reasonable number of other direct services running on more normal Arriva trains, plus some services where you have to change at Crewe and sometimes Birmingham as well, and maybe other places.

I was fairly sure there was no direct line within Wales between north and south, so I assume that even the direct services have to go via England.

If anyone knows the exact route they follow, do please let me know.

Didn’t I see something about a new franchisee taking over in Wales? Or was that only on certain routes? I would adore to sample true, old-fashioned British Rail/British Transport Hotel hospirality! The Yorkshire Pullman looked after my little cousin and fed her royally when she was on her way home after visiting me in Harrogate in late 60s. Buffet on platform at Stalybridge station run by lovely local lady, all home cooking! South Wales Pullman for all my time in Lodon, great service, good food…!! Ah, those were the days!

That’s true – they go via Shrewsbury and Hereford in England.

1 Like

Thank you Philip.

I used to use that line when I lived in Harrogate, '69-'72! I wish that train had existed then!! The weirdest in those days was the summer service from Manchester to Penzance with ho buffet (only a trolley of snacks and drinks that came on and off someplace of route) and no sleepers, which chugged its way through the night! That was the one my father came to meet and was told, “No more trains, Sir, we’er just locking up for… er…” What’s that then?" asks Dad as train approaches and arrives and arrived some more… a very LONG train. It stops. Sound of door opening and closing. Train moves off as sound of footsteps coming over the footbridge herald my arrival on nearby platform. “It’s the summer night service to Penzance!” I told the station person whose mouth was still open! “I’ll be on it most weeks. Here is my ticket!”

Spoiler

29th May 2018

O diar, poor old Ron. Meical (and Kay when she came round to it) thought they’d found a new family in David and Ron, and now they have both gone. Sad. :frowning:

Dani & Jac canoodling in the rented cottage: I couldn’t see them clearly at first, and thought Philip and Lowri must have had a rush of blood to the head and decided to start snogging there (since Philip owns it).

Would be funny if Arthur’s lottery ticket was also worth a lot of money.

1 Like
  1. He doesn’t deserve it!
  2. It would be statistically so improbable as to strain my credibility!
    In fact, if that happened, I would be very cross!
2 Likes

Fi hefyd! / Me too!

2 Likes

Just new lungs!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
.They enjoy annoying me! Two horrors combine to rip off Iolo and Wyn! Mind,Iolo is all too easy to fool!
Jason and Erin heading for fall. Wish I had more idea about Ron. Not sure if I should feel sad or whether Kelvin deserves letting out for funeral. I just hope Arthur and Mags try to rip each other off and both get caught out! I wast Arthur to squirm!

1 Like

Yes, trust Mags to pull a dirty trick like that, and Arthur to be her accomplice.
I hope they come unstuck soon.

I’m sorry Ron won’t be back. He brought humour and sometimes wisdom to the programme.

I’ve got a feeling Kelvin will break out to attend the funeral. Stupid, but this is Kelvin we’re talking about.

1 Like

Who’s Ron? I haven’t been watching RaR for that long, so I don’t know all their names yet :slight_smile:

Ron was Meical and Kay’s dad who came back into the story a couple of years ago and it slowly emerged that he had another son (M and K’s half brother), David. Ron wasn’t around for that long really but David became a central character with his relationship with Dani and then his personal torment over his feelings for Rhys and eventually leaving Dani for Rhys and then dying in a car crash leaving Rhys (and Dani to a lesser extent) emotionally destroyed. David’s name is still bandied about quite often because of things like the money he left, the charity race, the stolen charity box, etc. Ron never really got mentioned much after leaving (and making a very brief reappearance after David died). Phew.

3 Likes

You watch it occasionally then :smile:

4 Likes

Now and then. :slight_smile:

I always watch it on iPlayer a few days (at least) later so I rarely read this thread because of spoilers.

1 Like

The actor who played Ron made a brief appearance in that S4C detective series a few months ago. The serial killer series. “Ron” played the father of the one girl who managed to escape before any great harm came to her. (I’m pretty poor with names at the best of times, and my memory for details of this series has completely deserted me for the moment. I remember the face of the killer very clearly though.

BTW, did I understand correctly that Ron had had a mortgage-free house that would probably be left to Kay and Meical? I’m a bit surprised because I thought Ron had debt problems at one time and had had to sell his house in Cardiff to pay them. But perhaps David bought him another one or something.
(David was always portrayed as a bit of a financial whizz).

Anyway, Michelle’s eyes are already ringing up the £ signs, but Meical will probably give it to David’s charity!

Whenever anyone says something like “stick with me kid…” you know their period of success is destined to be short. (Barry will probably present him with a bill for back-rent).