Rownd a Rownd

Diolch for posting that, @mikeellwood! I miss having subtitles but it’s not hard to follow the story :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After reading that the actress who plays Kylie (Leisa Gwenllian) also plays Bethany Summer on Rocket’s Island, an English-speaking show, I had wondered about her Welsh - in the couple of episodes I had seen so far, she had never said a whole lot.

Today I found two videos which I think are of her, from last Christmas, reciting two poems:

a comical one about her mother’s diet, and

an adaptation of “A Magical Night before Christmas”.

She has the lovely north Wales “u” sound (e.g. in “tŷ” or “cau”) :slight_smile:

Perhaps those of you with more Welsh will enjoy listening to them!

3 Likes

Ah yes, the lovely Kylie/Leisa. Well, I think she’s a proper Welsh speaker, although she sometimes writes on the RaR Facebook, and I noticed that her most recent contribution included some English, although I think it was meant in fun. I was aware that she was in an English speaking show as well, but I have never seen it.

She certainly seems to be a talented young lady.

Thanks for pointing out that she has the distinctive northern Welsh “u” sound. Although I know about this in theory, my ear has never been able to distinguish it properly from what southern speakers do. I will listen to those videos a bit more attentively.
(I learned using the SSiW northern courses, and I know northerners sound a lot different to southerners, and I can usually tell them apart, but I can’t always put my finger on exactly what it is that differentiates them (vocabulary apart).

1 Like

I think Iolo.seems most my idea of Gogledd!

1 Like

I was watching a couple of episodes of RaR today and I have the impression that the southerners there (especially David) have an accent that sounds just like English, while the others have something that sounds distinctly different.

I’m not sure how to word it, but from the general “speech melody”, David might as well be speaking English while the others obviously (for me) aren’t.

Though for all I know, a north Wales accent in English might sound exactly like what they sound like in Welsh!

Which of the characters/cast were southerners again? Llio, Carys, David?

Yes, plus Jac, and Cathryn.

There used to be a male teacher, who shared a house with Llio and another girl. (Both names forgotten! How fickle am I? :slight_smile: ). Anyway, he was from down south, and in the story, got a job in Cardiff I think.

I can’t think of any more at the moment.

1 Like

Check out a young Dani in this clip, about 3 minutes in. Not sure when it was, but years before I started watching it:

Also, Terry, with more and darker hair, and Jim “Gym” with a lot longer hair.

Mr Lloyd and Glenda haven’t changed much!

2 Likes

Cute!

1 Like

I thought he looked a lot younger and darker! Thanks for the clip! I can see that Dani formed her character traits early! Manipulative, conniving, eyebrow fluttering ‘innocence’…

1 Like

The 2015 fideo nadolig is also on Youtube in two versions (one is a " fersiwn carioci"!). They almost all seem to be good singers, but young Jac really stands out (this year also). I don’t know if he has a parallel career in music, but if he does, he deserves to do well.

1 Like

Can someone tell me, please, who the young lady is between John and Barry at the table at 06:51 in yesterday’s episode of RaR?

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=536270579

I’m bad with faces. Plus I’ve only been watching for a month or so.

Is she a character in the show or just a random inhabitant of the town?

Just a random extra, but I did wonder while watching last night if it was a prelude to a Barry/one night stand/arrival of baby plot, but no such plot twist developing, just my febrile imagination!.

1 Like

Thanks!

Well, as you probably recognised, the girl on the right is Erin, John’s daughter (who has been causing all the trouble with Iolo, Llio and Matthew) (although we don’t get a good look at her face, but I think it’s her). So I think the one on the left is probably her school friend, whom we may have seen in the odd episode at the school.

I don’t recognise either of the two, just a couple of extras I would say. The one on Barry’s left (right of screen) isn’t Erin.

1 Like

No? - Well, I was a bit surprised, as I’d thought earlier, John had said the family had gone to Liverpool, but when she turned her face towards the camera for about half a second, I thought it looked a bit like her.

Just re-watched, and yes, I agree now. Too blond for one thing. Also Erin’s name does not appear in the cast list, although I’m not sure if that is anything to go by.

1 Like

You know, while watching, I thought it was Erin, too (I’ll have to rewatch!) but in thinking about it, it couldn’t be. Erin’s father tells someone that the kids are away (he says where, but I forget just now) and he’ll be able to have a quiet morning.

I thought so… I have the impression that the cast are listed in the order they appear in the episode, and only those who do appear in the episode.

That way we also see [details=Spoiler]that the new baby is likely called Tom, and though it’s a boy, it was “played” by a “Nansi Cêt”, who sounds as if she’s of the feminine persuasion :slight_smile: [/details]

(Hm, that spoiler doesn’t seem to be working.)

1 Like

Liverpool and Colwyn Bay. (Really living life in the fast lane…). :slight_smile:

2 Likes