Rownd a Rownd

Well, I’m glad John ended up with his New Year’s kiss. He’s certainly had to work for it, poor chap.

1 Like

I could give Arthur a good slap though. :joy::joy:

#sorrynotsorry

2 Likes

I think I’ve posted this link before, but anyone who hasn’t seen it may find it interesting:

http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=dale-street-or-cilbedlam-menai-bridge

Sometimes the programme’s website refers to “Cilbedlam” without being too specific as to what exactly it refers to. Well, it turns out that Cilbedlam (or perhaps Lôn Cilbedlam) is the real Welsh name for the real street (aka Dale Street) where a lot of the action in RaR takes place.

The other name you see referred to is “Glanrafon”. I believe this is the name of the fictitious village(?) or small town, or a part of a town, where the action is supposed to be taking place.

1 Like

and which is clearly intended to be somewhere in NW Wales (perhaps even in the rough area of Menai Bridge), from various clues (such as Kylie talking about popping over to Bangor to do some shopping and use her vouchers, or the reference in the recent episode to Llandudno being about half an hour from “home” for Philip).

1 Like

This confused me a lot as I always just presumed R&R was in Menai Bridge. Glanrafon meant nothing to me.
Oh and @gruntius, I totally agree. I frequently want to administer severe chastisement to that man! He needs a serious, sharp lesson! But maybe he’s too old now to learn that other people do not just exist for his benefit! (Not that I am immune from a selfish attitude to life! :cry:)

1 Like

Well I’m not so sure where home is for him any more, not Spain, no shop, maybe he’ll find a flat in Cwmderi? (since I suspect that Garry Monk wasn’t in Poland or Portugal, but with Alwena in Spain) and since Kevin’s found he’s blown his chance in Cwnderi he’s got to relocate to Glanrafon and…
No, hang on, I think that I’m suffering from a bit of confusion from an intense christmas period of Welsh soap opera catch up time!

Funny - I was just thinking today about the possibility of crossover between the two series.

And do the characters in RaR ever watch Pobol y Cwm on TV, and vice versa…?
I can imagine it might give rise to some good “in jokes”.

As to whether “Glandrafon” is really Menai Bridge (or a district within Menai Bridge), well, we know that “Cilbedlam” is really there (even if the shop etc is fake). And yes, people are always popping over to Bangor.

However, I have yet to properly locate the street where Iris & Arthur, and Meical and Michelle live. I did have bit of a look for it when I visited Menai Bridge some years ago, and have also tried using google streetview, but with no luck. If anyone finds them, please let me know! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T
Can anyone understand why it isn’t obvious to Llio that the photo is a selfie and there is no evidence at all of Iolo being there? The little bitch, clearly in need of psychiatric help, has done so much to show her instability, why don’t they really look into the situation? What makes me really cross is that this plot line is exactly the sort of scenario which leads to genuine cases being dismissed as fantasy!

1 Like

I suspect that in such a ‘bolt out of the blue’ situation such as this it can be easy to miss the obvious and to allow fears, thoughts and suspicions take over, particularly when everything was done so publicly and Llio has only had a brief look at the photo rather than the chance to look more closely. I imagine the plot has a fair few episodes to work out this story of the coming weeks!
One thing though, I’m finding Philip harder to understand, leaving me to go to the subtitles a lot more. I think the breakup’s affected the clarity of his diction…or is it just me?

Can’t help with Philip, but I hope the script writers aren’t setting Erin up. Eventually, it is found what she did - then she meets a real predator and nobody believes her story!

2 Likes

Now I am feeling sorry for Philip and Matthew and even Sophie, such a mess! Can’t feel sorry for Dani, she is so sure of herself! Still detest Erin until someone proves she has good reason for vamping older men and blackmailing them!

1 Like

Looks like I have some catching up to do this weekend :slight_smile:

I have some catching up to do as well, but I usually find Philip fairly hard to understand most of the time. The actor, Maldwyn John, has done some radio drama on Radio Cymru in the past, and he’s usually difficult to understand on there as well. Speaks very fast I think.

1 Like

I caught some drama on there recently, I didn’t realise that Radio Cymru did it. I’ll migrate a bit more from Radio 4 then!

It just seems to be now and again. You have to keep an eye on their schedule. Sometimes one-offs, sometimes short series. There’s the occasional comedy drama or comedy quiz too.

I’m slightly surprised that they don’t have a regular soap.

They should do a soap for leaners, easy or easyish Welsh, 10 mins a couple of times a week, maybe need to email the controller of Radio Cymru…

… and have now had a trawl round the BBC Cymru website have got contact details so will have a go!

1 Like

Would you mind PM-ing them to me? Those things can be hard to find sometimes.
(Not for immediate use, but maybe in the future! :slight_smile: ).

Thanks.

2 Likes

When Llio went back into the classroom where Jim “Gym” was waiting for her, one of the things she told him was Peidiwch becso “Don’t worry”.

That wasn’t in the subtitles (probably left out to save space).

But I got it from the SSiW motto :smiley:

2 Likes

I patted myself on the back a few times in recent episodes, noticing bits that had been left out of subtitles. (That way I can tell myself I’m not cheating by using them. I’m, er, assessing their quality… :wink: )

3 Likes

Just popping down south briefly to Pobol y Cwm. I’ve noticed they’re using sandwich rather than brechdan so is brechdan more of a ‘northern’ word or is this just the scriptwriters testing to see if I’m paying attention.

And also ‘just’ is used alot as in ‘dwi’n just mynd allan’