Rownd a Rownd

I think you hear that a fair bit on Rownd a Rownd also.

But your question made me start thinking, what is the best Welsh alternative for “just” in that situation?

“newydd” only applies in the past, doesn’t it? (“I have just done something”).

“dim ond” doesn’t really sound right here (does it?).

Would it be “ar fin”? (But I’m thinking this might sound a bit stilted in this sort of sentence).

(Gweiadur.com has given me “bron â” as an alternative to “ar fin” (which it translates as “on the verge of”).

2 Likes

While looking for something else, I found this, about the actor who plays John, when he first joined the series:

(In English and Welsh, so might be useful for reading practice).

So the actor who plays John is an Anglesey boi, so presumably we can assume his accent is authentic for the area.

1 Like

I am sure there was mention, when he first bought the garage, that he was a ‘local boy come home’!!

1 Like

The article also mentions that Rhys is from Llanuwchllyn, on Bala Lake, which is Gwynedd.

Eleri Ann Roberts, who plays Erin, is from Llan Ffestiniog if I remember correctly – I believe she said so in a little clip where “Rhys” asked “Erin” and “Wil” some questions about each other to see whether the actors knew each other as well as a twin would.

1 Like

As you know, one of the shops in Glanrafon(?) is called “Sgram” – I just found http://nrhenllys.magix.net/public/slang.htm (a glossary of Caernarfon slang) which gives “Sgram” as a local dialect equivalent for “Bwyd” (food)!

(Also Gweiadur lists it as “grub” or “a feast”.)

That Cofi glossary also gives “sbio” as a local word for “edrych” (look); I also heard “Sbia!” on RaR a fair bit.

3 Likes

Isn’t ‘scran’ dialect for food in Scotland/N.E England as well? Must be a common root.

@Pete2 quoted it as used in Port Talbot which is about as far from R&R country as you can get and still be in Cymru!

1 Like

Interestingly (for me), scram is used in Port Talbot for scratch…eg the cat has scrammed my arm.

Diolch am hynny! I’ve always wondered why the cafe was called Sgram, but I never actually tried to look it up!

I feel like I’ve heard sbio quite a bit, in RAR and elsewhere. I know there is a line in an Elin Fflur song with “Camu ymlaen heb sbio 'nol.

2 Likes

“Mae’r gath wedi scrapo Sionni bach!”
Scram yn Abertawe hefyd!

1 Like

If Erin doesn’t go to the person who is supposed to give her councilling what will be done?

Good question.

Reminds me of her father’s threat that one day when she was lying in bed – “If you’re not downstairs in ten minutes in your school clothes, then… well, I’ll be off now” or something like that. I think he’s pretty much at his wit’s end with her as well.

Also, what does David really want? He seems to be spending an awful lot of time and affection on Dani.

Finally, I realised the other day that two words that I know fairly well now through RaR are busnesu (meddle, pry, be nosy) and ffraeo (quarrel, argue) – simply because you hear them so often…

2 Likes

I have someone in my life I am very close to who is going through the same torture as David and it is a far from easy decision. Kudos to R a R for shedding light on a subject that has too often been ignored or not treated thoughtfully in society.:thumbsup:

3 Likes

This and the trans-sexual lass becoming a lad in Gwaith Cartref - S4C is more adventurous than BBC, I think!
I do wish they would get someone to realise that Erin needs proper psychiatric help, though, she is driving me mad at the moment! Or maybe I’m wrong and she is just BAD! :angry:

1 Like

Gwaith Cartref is one of my favourites, though I’m not quite sure where it’s meant to be set?
I don’t watch any soaps on any other channels, but S4C’s got the lot for me, got to confess to being a touch addicted to Rownd a Rownd, Pobol y Cwm and Gwaith Cartref.

1 Like

Her father (what’s his name - John?) could also do with some anger management classes, I think; he seems to fly into a rage at the slightest provocation.

Probably interesting as an actor challenge but not, perhaps, the best role model as a person.

I got bored with Pobol! Too like most English soaps? Not sure…just didn’t grab me!

If I was writing R&R, it would transpire that Alwena’s doctor had found something nasty and fatal, like a brain tumour and she is trying to save Phil from hurt!

1 Like

Hang about - about 7.30 minutes in Tom was wide awake, 30 seconds later? Narcolepsy surely, either that or Barry really didn’t want to deliver those pizzas…
(and I’d also really like some playlists of the music they play on R&R, some I know but most I don’t and some great tunes)

I’ve often thought the same thing…

What is Barrys’ work ouside of Ty Pizza anyway…I just hope he doesn’t’ turn into some devious Gary Monk type character…

2 Likes