Rugby Players

Aran suggested making up sentences. So, this is my first effort. I hope it’s not too bad.

I want to say: “The Welsh players look lively. They should win this game this afternoon”

“MAE’N CHWARAEWYR YN DISGWL Y NFWYIOG. DYLEN NHW YN ENNILL GEM MA P’NAWN”

3 Likes

Very timely @david-rees-4 Hopefully they will win tomorrow against France! Gobeithio y byddan nhw’n ennill yfory yn erbyn Ffrainc

Hi Jenny = thanks for your response. Was my Welsh translation OK?

Almost but I’m no expert @david-rees-4 ! I’d say “Mae’r chwaraewyr yn edrych yn fywiog. Dylen nhw ennill y gêm hon p’nawn ‘ma”. My understanding of “disgwyl” is that it means “to expect”; also, there is no “YN” with the I should/ought (dylwn i etc) pattern. Shame about yesterday’s result :weary:

Hi Jenny-5. OK, not too bad then. Listening to Aran on SSiW (level 2 - Challenge 1) he said that there were two ways to say look - Edrych and Disgwyl and that either was acceptable. In fact he used Disgwyl in that ‘lesson’ - which is why I used it. However, I have heard both used quite frequently. I take your point about the use of “YN”. I do have a habit of over-using it. Thanks for your advice and comments. Both are very helpful. I will be posting more “practice sentences” in the future and I hope you can help me with them. As for last night’s result in Paris it was very disappointing. Welsh forwards were very much second best to the French 8 and there’s an old saying in rugby that “forwards win matches. Backs only decide by how much”. Anyway - on now to next Saturday’s important 6N game against Scotland at Parc Y Scarlets in Llanelli. Ymlaen Cymru!

Ooh I’ve missed (or more likely, forgotten) that explanation for ‘disgwyl’. Thanks for the heads up @david-rees. Happy to try and help if I can but there are plenty of others on the forum with much broader knowledge/experience than me so I’m always happy to be corrected :joy: