S4C outside UK

The Clic app I have is for Android, you don’t really need it as the site is mobile friendly, just use a standard web browser. Actually, there are probably enough S4C viewers in the US for things to be stored somewhere on a US server. I would imagine @mikeellwood may have been the first person to try and watch S4C from the Canary islands.

2 Likes

I have been watching the Welsh Affairs Select Committee questioning the Heads of S4C and was shocked to find that the channel’s remit has never been changed since 1981/2 when Maggie Thatcher was induced to agree (finally!) to it being set up by public protests and Gwynfor’s threat of hunger strike!!
All digital output has been managed on a budget never designed to pay and reduced in the last year by about 30%. Ditto the web site and any aps. Being watched outside Wales, never mind outside UK was not in anyone’s expectations in 1982!! I have written to Liz Saville Roberts MP (Plaid) to thank her for her support of S4C on that Committee!
Of interest to @Deborah-SSi and @aran!!!

2 Likes

You think? It’s as popular a holiday destination with people from Wales as with people from elsewhere. I would be very surprised if there hadn’t been people trying to catching up on their latest fix of Pobol y Cwm on hotel wifi before that!

1 Like

what was I thinking, there must be thousands of people, catching up with the latest events in ‘Pobol y Cwm’ in the Canaries, though i’ve never been myself. It may still be a bandwidth issue. The interesting question is do people use Clic/ Welsh language radio in Patagonia?

Aha, if the S4C app is not offered abroad,that might explain why it doesn’t work abroad!

I downloaded and installed it while I was still in the UK (it works great there!)
Thanks for the info. There was no indication (when downloading) that I saw that it was UK-only.

There seems to be a lot of wifi around this island but its probably aimed mostly at promoting local business and the local network infrastructure probably isnt suitable for streaming this kind of thing. I was also unable to download programmes via iPlayer Radio, although I am able to play them without downloading.

1 Like

Dont know about servers but I guess the US has a more mature and sophisticated telecomms setup than Lanzarote.

See “Submitting the Petition” for reaction from Select Committee!! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

I just saw this on BBC Wales News!!! Not victory, but at least a battle won!!! Now, please, those of you in Wales, try to get your MPs to support S4C, and maybe AMs can help too??!!
Thanks to all who signed the petitions!! :sunny: :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Sadly, the S4C app itself isn’t offered in the US iTunes store (although “Cyw”, “Cant o Blant”, and “Dal Ati” apps are on offer.) It’d be nice to be able to watch “RaR” via an app rather than the internet browser on my phone or tablet… But then again, at least the fine people of Wales are kind enough to share a few Welsh programs with us international learners without having to employ nefarious methods. :wink:

1 Like

I have lived most of my life outside my homeland so perhaps see things from the exile’s viewpoint, but I honestly think the people of Wales would choose to give access to all programmes without a load of hassle!! A subscription would be good, but that takes:

• realisation from S4C that people want to watch and are willing to subscribe
  • ability of someone at S4C to set it up!!

Here, here! I may be in the minority, but I’m sure I’m not the only one outside the UK who would gladly purchase a subscription/TV license in order to have legitimate access to UK programmes (especially S4C offerings.) Although if such a scheme were to come to fruition, I’m afraid of the distraction it might cause in some of our lives!

1 Like

Me, too!

(@henddraig - I don’t think I ever posted it on the forum, but I did sign the petition a couple of weeks ago!)

It had never occurred to me that the various app stores might be country-specific.

Any way (or eniwe as I sometimes see it written in Wenglish), I have now successfully managed to watch some programmes via the built-in browser on my (Android) phone, so honour has been satisfied, as it were. :slight_smile:

Back in the UK yfory so back to my trusty desktop, I guess.

Am now wondering about a tablet now though…

1 Like

Unfortunately here’s one more thing and this is Copyrights. Even if program is yn Cymraeg if it is not the ownership of S4C and the authors, copyright laws or anything similar do not alow it to be broadcasted abroad, such program can not be accessed from abroad even if you pay the subscription. For example: I’m a subscriber to our national TV and I can watch the program many ways but if it’s the broadcast of foreign production (like BBC for example) on the program there’s regulation which says such program can not be broadcasted on the Internet and is not available. You can watch such broadcast only on TV. Since we - internationals have the only access to S4C through web and mobile data, this is the similar case. I’ve go the idea of subscription on my mind too, but taking all this into considderation, such subscription would not help much though.

1 Like

To @AnnaC Thanks!! I do notice lack of some countries more than others, which is why poor @YDraigGoch got hassled for so long!! I knew we had one person in Brunei, but hadn’t counted everyone in the USA!!!
To @tatjana Thanks! I hadn’t thought of copyright and of course you are quite correct. They need to negotiate with all concerned before setting up anything which lets the world see a programme!! However, they have recently increased access, so it can be done!!!

1 Like

Yes. Where is the will there’s a way … ALWAYS! (As far as concerns me).

Well, the idea behind Copyright is that it protects those who own something and others can’t gain from it. If the subscription meant that the owners of the Copyright would get more in royalties surely that’s a win-win situation. Laws are supposed to benefit people, not work against them, and if the Copyright laws are holding Cymru back from developing an international TV presence then the powers that be need to change them!

2 Likes

I would have thought copyright meant you had some control over what happened to your work. Other than that, it would be allowing other people to determine what was good for you or what stood for Wales. You are the best and only arbiter for the first, and the would be as many opinions over the second as there are Welsh people!
I certainly wouldn’t want other random people deciding what was best for me, or what I should do to best benefit Wales or the Welsh language. I can understand copyright resting in the hands of the person who produces the stuff. That’s the point of it, as it were!

1 Like

Well, it very quickly happens agencies and organizations took control over your work the minute you’ve signed contract with someone… It’s actually hard to determine when you break that law of copyright and it holds for all areas from TV to music, photos, software and what’s more to it. You actually can very quickly be acused of breaking that law and you’re not even aware of it … I’m telling this from my own experiences. Strange, but even sharing legally shareable content can be the subject of breaking the copyright laws …

But there is more … some countries are forbidding broadcast of certain content no matter how “normal” it seams to us. For example: I can’t have application Spotify despite it seams entire other World can have it and can listen to the music on it, simply because it is not (yet) negotiated to be “allowed” in our country. And another example: I couldn’t buy “World in Union” song performed by Hayley Westenra on iTunes in the time of RWC 2011 simply because it was not in Slovenian store and this for not allowed to be purchased in my country and I was also not allowed to purchase it from another store if even in European Union. To my surprise a week later I could grab it from the very same iTunes store.

So many things are the part of the game when comes to copyrights and what you’re allowed to watch, purchase etc … and it’s wrong believing that there are any thoughts about what’s the best for one language - and Cymraeg is not the exception. Those thoughts I believe come the last in the row of thinking by authorities who decide whether one content can be available for particular area or not. Money rules the World and also quite big birocracy of certain countries, including my own (it’s all about copyright and not policy to make things clear) …

1 Like