Say Something in Polish?

My purpose in learning Welsh was to get it out of the way to be able to learn a foreign language, but i felt I had to learn to speak Welsh first.
The plan always was to learn Spanish, because I had enjoyed my time in Honduras and wished I had been able to speak more with the locals and I liked the sound of the language.
Having finished my second bootcamp in Cymraeg, it is time to get serious about learning a foreign language.
However for some reason, I find myself tempted to learn Polish instead. Largely because I like the sound of the language more and it has some wonderful words. There is also an Eisteddfod that happens in Poland every year, bilingually in Polish and Cymraeg. So wouldn’t it be great to go there and have some basic Polish? Also that the Slavic languages are just that bit more different, which is tempting!
I know there is Say Something in Spanish, which would probably be the fastest way to learn a third language, but I am tempted and would be interested in people’s thoughts?

I remember suggesting this a long, long time ago. In particular, I could see the Say Something In method working really well with a language with cases.

My mum grew up bilingual Polish and English, but our generation didn’t learn Polish (Mum and her siblings only spoke it with their parents), so it’s a language I’d be very interested in learning, even a little! :slight_smile: I agree, SSi would be very helpful for learning noun cases and so on.

I’ve been delivering stuff into all sorts of places over the last few years and it’s inevitable that you’re going to meet Polish workers. I learned a few useful phrases but that only awakens a desire to have a conversation. More or less every time I’ve said “Thanks for your help”, I’ve been asked how I can say anything in Polish, but it’s curiosity and a natural desire to be polite on my part. And it’s fun to be able to surprise someone by saying “Happy New Year” (szczęśliwego Nowego Roku). I’ve found Google Translate quite useful for picking up the odd phrase because some languages include a spoken version of what you’re asking about.
Having said that, I tried that with some Chinese (Cantonese) and decided that when I said what I thought would be correct, the app told me I was WAY wide of the mark…and although I got closer, I was still struggling… Maybe I should try listening more…!

Well, despite my ancestry, my own Polish doesn’t extend any further than “dzień dobry”, “do widzenia” and “dziękuję” (hello, goodbye and thank you), and counting to 10, so you’re probably doing better than I am! I haven’t had much contact with Polish speakers since coming to the UK, or else I might try to learn a few more words. But if we had SSi… :grinning:

@Courtenay
Surely there’s a Sklep Polska near you? I love some of the Polish bread on sale and I’ve just heard there’s a Polish bread that is like Pumpernickel but even tastier, so that is next on my “To try” list. There’s only one shop I go to for phone screen protectors and last weekend he told me there was no charge because I came back again and greeted him and asked how he was in Polish (so I paid him more than the £2 it normally is!!). I keep looking for and responding to opportunities when they present. If I recognize a non-British accent I always ask where someone is originally from, although some people can be a bit reserved, mainly because they’ve been on the wrong end of a racist comment, which is a disgusting thing to have happen to you. But they soon cheer up after a thank you and a smile!
Except yesterday, when a fork-lift driver said “Bulgaria” so I said “Kussenem” (Hungarian!!) and he asked “What’s that?”, so I had to explain, I got the two mixed up and immediately remembered “Blagodaria”… I’m not actually an idiot, but just sometimes I do a good impersonation of one…

No, not in this part of Kent! :unamused:

Thanks for the responses, I didn’t really get an answer, but there seems some interest in SSiP.
I’ve had a go at Duolingo Polish. I’ve just about got my head around the principles of the case system, it looks wonderful once you can get in embedded in your head and can recognise what’s going on. Looking at the comments in the exercises it looks like fellow learners are getting into muddles trying to use the case system perfectly. Whereas i am not worrying about it, but just being aware of it. I’m trying focus on getting the stem of the words and understanding what case is used, without the detail of correct spellings. A problem with this is sometimes I confuse myself: For example, jestem = I am and Jesc = to eat, seem to have the same stem, so when presented with different pronouns and cases, they conjugate, but I don’t know which ones are for which.
I suppose my question really is do I want a hard challenge, or an easier one to get to be able to speak a foreign language quicker?

Hello! I went to Poland earlier this year and totally fell in love, so would be very interested in Say Something in Polish… I think the thing is that SSiW has totally spoiled me for all other ways of learning languages, because it’s just a million times better than anything else out there! Every time I go on holiday I get incredibly frustrated that there isn’t a Say Something in Croatian, Say Something in Portuguese etc! I search the web for something similar and there is never anything as good!

For Polish, I signed up for a month’s subscription to PolishPod101. I was a bit concerned about it initially as it’s a bit spammy, and I still get loads of emails from them (partly my fault because I haven’t unsubscribed…). They have a broadly similar approach to SSI but nowhere near as systematic - there are lots of individual lessons, they don’t build on each other, and there isn’t enough repetition to ingrain the learning so you need to listen to each lesson loads (or at least I did - I found Polish far harder to pick up than Welsh!) It doesn’t combine the words into building blocks of sentences the way that works so well with SSi. But it was the most useful source I found for learning Polish, and I managed to learn the essential phrases. After the initial steep learning curve I found myself really loving Polish and wanting to learn more. I think it’s a beautiful language.

What would be really wonderful would be mini SSi courses for tourists in loads of different languages - it would (I assume!) be less intense to set up than a full on course, and could be a great introduction to people to the method. I would happily pay for a short course in say Croatian (can you tell I’m planning a trip to Croatia next?!) which would teach me the essential phrases like please, thank you, hello, good bye etc.

Anyway, I just thought you might want to check out PolishPod101 in case it’s any use to you, and to add my support to the idea of SSiPolish!

You are very kind, it’s a horrible looking homepage, my head hurts without any Polish! Yet if it’s the same underlying methodology it might be worth looking into, so thanks for the information. Do they use actual speakers or a computerised voice? …I’m wondering how many languages I can learn before the SSiBorg can produce SSiEverything, which would be fantastic https://www.polishpod101.com

It’s a beautiful language: ciasteczka są smaczne - The biscuits are tasty, which just puts English to shame

It’s not, because the SSi Method is proprietary - but it may have some elements in common… :slight_smile:

In February I was tasked to spend some time in the Gdansk area, helping an organisation achieve certification later in the year; meaning that I would be visiting the region fairly regularly throughout the year.
That said, I began jotting down some basic Polish words and phrases that I thought would come in handy; I even setup a free Wordpress© blog (9-day Polish?) prior to my 1st visit. I combined this with an online trawl of free online Polish tutorials…all with the aim of making a good first impression.
It worked and I received favourable ‘pronunciation’ comments.
Imagine my disappointment when, the week following my visit, I was pulled from the team…my services were required in Norway instead.
I hope that a solution can be found and that a SSI (or similar) Polish/Polski can be devised. Dream it, think it, work it.

I’ve just noticed this thread. Yes that sounds a great idea.

Also just my opinion, but as well as Welsh (obviously) and Spanish, Polish is one of the languages that I personally hear most in the UK, so could be practiced with friends without the need for travel.