Scottish Gaelic in Duolingo now available

Ahead of schedule and an incredible 48.6K registered in just a few days. If you ever wanted to learn some Gàidhlig then St Andrews Day is the ideal time to start :slight_smile: https://www.duolingo.com/enroll/gd/en/Learn-Scottish%20Gaelic

7 Likes

I downloaded it. Although, I am far beyond the level that it contains I still find it entertaining and wanted to support it.

2 Likes

Was out canvassing last night, afterwards seven of us went to the pub, 2 fluent speakers and 3 starters on Duolingo and 2 folk listening with great interest. We might set up a wee meet-up group for Duolingo starters. I know a few more people that have started as well. Just about 70,000 on the app now after about a week. Pretty good.

2 Likes

Out of interest, does anyone know what it takes to get a language onto Duolingo? I’ve been wondering for a while if Cornish will ever get there. There’s a discussion thread about it on the Duolingo forums, which fairly regularly (maybe every few months) gets another person or two posting there to say they’d love to have Duolingo Cornish as well. But the website itself is a bit tight-lipped as to the actual process of how a new language course gets proposed, accepted, developed and finally made public.

I think there are enough fluent speakers and teachers of Cornish to be able to develop/contribute to a Duolingo course if it went ahead, although I don’t know if it has actually been proposed. Does anyone know what the process was for Scottish Gaelic and how it went ahead?

I’ve seen the odd post in the past urging people to ask for a Gaelic course. Ciaran Iòsaph MacAonghais wrote a few days ago on Bella Caledonia:

“People have been campaigning to get the language onto Duolingo for years and key to getting Duolingo to take the project forward was getting people to apply to contribute on Duolingo’s website. The success of smaller languages such as Irish, Welsh and Hawaiian further fuelled demand.”

Likewise perhaps Gaelic will help open the door for other languages. Full article here: https://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2019/12/01/scottish-gaelics-journey-to-duolingo/

2 Likes

Hi All. I’ve just started this and also the Learn Gaelic course, which has a slightly more CBAC feel to it. . I might try to answer the SSiW (Welsh Challenges) prompts in Gaelic when I reach a level to figure them out. TBH, I’m drawing heavily on my SSiW Welsh to get in through the back door, so far :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m loving it and my family are speaking to me again after defecting over the Severn Bridge :slight_smile:

So, it isn’t beta anymore. A while ago it was still in Beta periode.

it should be interesting to try although it might be I learn too many languages already. :slight_smile: Well, will at least listen a bit to hear how it sounds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you mean Duolingo, or Learn Gaelic?

This.

1 Like

Yes it seems to be going mainstream. I wasn’t aware that it was new. So I’ll have another look

281,000 using the Duolingo app for Gaelic now, a remarkable achievement for a language with only 60,000 speakers in the wild.

3 Likes

I’m trying to answer the SSiW (for Welsh) prompts in Scottish Gaelic. It’s taking a bit of research, but loving the similarites. Wish me luck. :smiley:

1 Like

If there is anything you are stuck John with put them on this thread and I will do my best. If you need a bit of pronunciation for words, there is a pretty good resource here on this learngaelic.net online dictionary. https://learngaelic.scot/dictionary/

1 Like

That’s great, thanks so much. I’ve downloaded the links for now. And will come back to you with any questions if OK.

1 Like

Hi Des, just one question:
Am I correct that there is no equivalent, or need, for our extra “yn”, in the sense of Dwi’n etc or to form an adjective, eg yn wreiddiol. I’m assuming: an, am or ans

Out of my depth with Cymraeg grammar John, just trying to absorb all I can from Saysomething and Duolingo and watching SC4, do have a couple of books that I dip into occasionally which seem to make a bit more sense every time I try though.

But here’s a note or two

Dwi’n dysgu

Tha mi ag ionnsachadh

I’m learning

Tha would be there through the verbal noun present tense but followed with mi, thu, e or i, sinn, sibh, iad, as you move through the singular and pluaral persons.

We are learning Tha sinn ag ionnsachadh

Originally is an adverb isn’t it?You do things to form adverbs in Gaelic so perhaps comparisons here (this wiki site has most grammar points)

https://gaelicgrammar.org/~gaelic/mediawiki/index.php/Adverbs

There’s definitely no equivalent to yn with nouns and adjectives (and after doing so much Welsh, I miss it): Mae hi’n hen is just Tha i sean. But the a’ or ag that @desscholes mentioned seems to do the same job with verbs: Dw i’n clywed = Tha mi a’ cluinntinn, &c.

2 Likes

HI Richard and Des. Thanks so much for these helpful answers. Aran and the SSiW Welsh Speaking Practice initiative have very kindly opened a Gaelic practice section. We might be back with a few more questions :smile:

1 Like

I’ve started a new topic. Hope acceptable to All.

1 Like