Scottish Welsh learners meetup

Shwmae pawb,

I was wondering if anyone here lives in Scotland - particularly southern Scotland - and would like to put together an informal Welsh learners group? I live in Glasgow and I’m on Course 2 with the SSIW Northern course - and I’d love to meet any other Welsh learners based in Scotland.

Thanks!

1 Like

One for the email, @Deborah-SSi? :slight_smile:

And a very warm welcome to the forum, Juliette… :slight_smile: :sunny:

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, Aran!

I’m really enjoying the course. I even sneaked off for an hour to do Lesson 14 yesterday, on Christmas day!

I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say that I can’t thank you and Catryn enough for the SSIW materials. I know a few learners in Wales and I heartily recommend the course, particularly when they say that they are finding learning Welsh difficult and / or not enjoyable. That’s not the way it should be! Concentrating on speaking first is a great idea, and when I see written Welsh I find it falls into place a lot of the time if I’ve learned how to say it already!

2 Likes

Hi Juliette
I live in argyll but I am in glasgow quite often. I would definitely be interested in learners meetings.

2 Likes

I live the n Argyll but my travelling days are over, unless I have to go to Paisley in hospital transport for a minute op! (Lierally, removal of little cist on from finger) so do not expect to see me!

1 Like

That would be amazing, Sharon. I’ll see if anyone else shows any interest on the forum for the time being and maybe we could be having conversations in Welsh soon! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s the spirit!

It’s always exciting to see learning interrupting people’s ordinary lives… :wink:

Thank you so much for your lovely words - they really do mean a huge amount to us :slight_smile:

I have a friend who might be able to make an occasional meetup if it gets going otherwise - she’s in Edinburgh and can’t always travel easily, but sometimes can - I’d love to see a Scottish meetup happening… :slight_smile:

Tagging @Deborah-SSi again just to cut through the Christmas noise… :wink:

2 Likes

@juliette-jones So sorry, I forgot to say “Welcome, Croeso!” to the Forum. It is full of helpful people, many of them able to answer most of the questions which get asked! If you want to be sure a person knows you are asking them put their name the way I have put yours above, with the ‘@’!!

1 Like

I’ve been away over Christmas, but definitely get this into the next weekly email :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, Put me on your list, I’m near Livingston. We Scots seem to be thinly scattered, but I’d so welcome some kind of meet.

2 Likes

Thanks henddraig! This forum seems friendly for sure. :slight_smile:

It’s really exciting to know that there are fellow Welsh learners in Scotland. Hurrah!

Thanks so much Dee.

1 Like

Hi folks,

Live in Nairn so a bit too far for meet ups. Finally got around to making a serious start, just about broke into challenge five this week. Really enjoying the challenges. Learnt Gaelic to fluency but always wanted to get some Welsh. Spent six months in Rennes a few years ago and managed to learn a bit of Breton with Oulpan but no effective way of keeping up with that apart from text books and a few bits and pieces on line but perhaps if Breton appears on speak something one day I could top up on that too.
Cheers
Des

1 Like

Look in the ‘Other Languages’ category on the Forum. @aran is aiming to get SSiBreton up and running! And you are not alone in wanting to learn! An old friend of mine from Sir Benfro remembered onion sellers from Llydaw (Brittany) who were comprehensible to him and his fellow Welsh speakers, but we suspected they had learned some Welsh, because such Breton as we found seemed fairly different!

1 Like

It’s supposedly closer to Cornish than Welsh isn’t it? It did look a bit that way when I had chance to compare some written Breton with written Cornish. However, the sound of Breton (which I have heard briefly on an Assimil course), sounded more French than anything else! Not really French when you get down to it of course; it just had that “flavour” to it. Inevitable, I should think.

@sharonmonks @Deborah-SSi @aran @pollypolly Hi everyone,

It’s Juliette again about the Scottish Welsh language meetup group. So what’s the next step, do you think? Shall we ass just agree amongst ourselves about when and where to meet?

Thanks everyone,

Juliette.

2 Likes

Hi Juliette
I will be in Glasgow this wednesday for a week or so. Is there a day that would suit you?

Hi Sharon,

Is either day at the weekend any good for you?

Hi Juliette
I think Sunday would probably be better for me. Would that suit you?