Seren yr Wythnos | Star of the Week

Well done Sionned - thanks to your efforts, it is clear to the whole world that SSiW is the empire where the sun never sets…

…and poses the 'travelling Welsh learner’s problem": what is the shortest route for a Welsh speaker to visit all SSiW members on the map?

2 Likes

Uffff … There’s no the shortest way I believe … but the long is surely pleasant enough if just I’d win some jackpot and have all 24/7 holidays … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would think a proximity equation based on the distance each member is from your starting point,
marked as west or east of said starting point,
Starting with nearest to furthest for say traveling west would make the most distant member the midpoint of your journey
then visit those furthest to nearest of the other half of your list, to put you back at start point.
Then make a pot of tea and let us know how many pairs of boots you wore out.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Surely it is also a function of the number of pubs on the way? :wink:

4 Likes

Sionned - I think to give my perspective of her contribution is that maintaining the map seemed a thankless task and this person who was quite new to the forum committed to it. At times it seemed the equivalent of sculpting Mt Rushmore with a butter knife.

We thought it was bizarre to actually volunteer and I suspect most of us thought “I’ll give it a week.”

Just another example of the amazing community that has been built through contributions beyond what could reasonably be expected.

Diolch!

4 Likes

And a big thank you from me as well, Sionned - I’ve no idea how many times taht map has been unveiled to gasps and smiles as people realise that there are people learning Welsh all over the world. It really is a thing of beauty before we look at how useful it can be to people looking for peole.

A worthy star!

PS so sorry to miss you on your visit - sometimes I wish I led a boring life so that I had time to meet the interesting people and do the interesting things that I can’t do at the moment because life is so interesting. I think…

6 Likes

How did I not know that @Sionned looked after that awesome map!

2 Likes

I wonder if S4C would be interested in filming a new series - In how many different countries can a traveller speak Welsh? I’d volunteer to be the traveller so they wouldn’t have to look far :wink:

6 Likes

That would be an amazing journey - get a group together and it would be a touring bwtcamp!

4 Likes

Now there’s a thought - take some totally new learners along to countries where they don’t speak the language so they are forced to use Welsh with the people we meet and immerse them in Welsh outside of Wales! Sounds like great fun to me!

3 Likes

I agree!

1 Like

@Sionned, diolch yn FAWR for keeping the map going through the many travails of the early days up to the glorious present. Am I misremembering, or didn’t Google Maps wipe us out entirely at one point when Google was changing its technology…?!

There’s actually a book in which a Welsh learner did that: Pamela Petro, Travels in an Old Tongue. I don’t always like her take on the Welsh expat and Welsh learner communities she encounters, but the book is great fun for Our Kind to read.

1 Like

I thought I remembered a book along those lines, but a travelling bwtcamp would be a new take on the idea.

1 Like

and actionpacked (I’d say …) :slight_smile: [quote=“dee, post:329, topic:7542”]
I wonder if S4C would be interested in filming a new series - In how many different countries can a traveller speak Welsh? I’d volunteer to be the traveller so they wouldn’t have to look far :wink:
[/quote]

Croeso yn Slofenia! :slight_smile:

When are you comming? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does anyone, anywhere in the byd mawr of Welsh learners know the name of the book?

1 Like

Tahl wrote it above - Travels in an Old Tongue, by Pamela Petro.

2 Likes

Oh missed that! Gwych!!

2 Likes

I haven’t been around on the forum for a while, sorry about that. But I come back and find that there’s an old school reunion going on!!!

My warmest congratulations and hugs to @louis @robbruce @hewrop @tahl @leiafee and @Sionned !!! Also the biggest thank you to you for being consistently supportive and enthusiastic. Thank you also for being generous with your time and skills and helping make this place so, so much better that in would be without your involvement.

:star: :star2: :champagne: :star2: :star: :star: :star2: :champagne: :star2: :star: :star: :star2: :champagne: :star2: :star: :star: :star2: :champagne: :star2: :star:

3 Likes

@Sionned I am very late to this thread this week, but still wanted to add my own thanks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hardly know all you lovely Seren yr Wythnos, but has been fascinating reading about you all. It is clear you all are great supporters of SSIW and have had a huge influence on its development. I’ve felt a bit shy popping in with a comment, as everyone seems to have personal connections, but as a late-comer to SSiW I realise more and more how much the early pioneers have helped make everything work so well andcontributed to such a supportive, friendly experience. So thank you all :sunflower:

10 Likes