Seren yr Wythnos | Star of the Week

I have to hug the lot of you

I’ll be standing eagerly in line. There’s certainly a lot of me to hug. :laughing:

3 Likes

4 Likes

Bonhomie.

1 Like

@gruntius.

I know he has interestingly magnificent beard which live looks even more magnificent than on the pictures.

I know he’s a great story teller at least by what I could read about happenings and feelings on the bootcam two or three years ago.

I know he’s a drummer. I bet he’s excellent one despite I never heard him playing and I just don’t want to hear all those funny “moanings” about drums etc … :slight_smile: I always found being drummer is magnificant thing … all that thythm and many times improvisation … YES this is it!

I also know he did and still does many great things for SSiW being on bootcamp or otherwise and that he’s great supporter of Saith Seren. Welsh language gains from the people like Geraint.

I know I’ve met him on the last year’s Eisteddfod at the unofficial SSiW gathering. And I also know that when meeting him and all that bunch of lovely people I just didn’t know what to say. My socializing abilities flied away somewhere but still it was great to meet Mr Beard and all the rest there.

So, thank you for all the hard work you do for SSiW the community and Saith Seren. Thank you for being there on Eisteddfod when I was so that I could at least say helo to you. Thank you for participating on here with all your encouraging, helpful and interesting posts.

4 Likes

B… bashing drums :smiley:

2 Likes

Congrats @S_J and @gruntius

I remember being ssooo excited when SJ got the S4C thing it felt weirdly like some collective triumph for the whole SSIW concept and then the Jodrell bank well -max geek points. I am envy :wink:

And Geraint - my mostly enduring memory other than the grin through the beard is burbling at him in Welsh at a SSIW Birthday party and getting a “WOAH! You need to SLOW DOWN” because his Welsh just sounded so natural I’d gone full blatherspeed :wink:

5 Likes

Well, here is a much belated “Diolch” to @gruntius for shining a light on a certain corner of Wrecsam at a time when I really needed it.

Back in the Spring of 2015, when I had only been following SSiW for a mere 4 months and had just had my first conversational session at the SSiW Manchester meeting, I was impatiently excited to look for more opportunities for “real world” Welsh conversations. The idea of waiting a whole month for the next Manchester meeting was too painful…

So, when Geraint was talking in the SSiW Forum about the (now famous) Saith Seren in Wrecsam, I became very keen to try what I saw as the nearest “Sesiwn Sgwrs” actually in Wales, even if it meant a 50 mile road trip. As it happened, the timing was quite critical; I had only been going to the Saith Seren for 2 or 3 weeks when its imminent closure was announced - but I was already hooked and could not let that happen. Thankfully, @aran stepped forward and organised a rescue campaign and I am happy to say that I (together with all the other supporters, many of whom are on this Forum) have been able to support the Saith Seren ever since.

SSiW and the Saith Seren have been the twin pillars supporting my Welsh journey ever since. It also helps that my Grandad’s ancestors came from the area too, so now the Wrecsam area feels pretty much like home.

Diolch once again, Geraint, for the intro to what I now regard as my “local” Tafarn (even if I live 50 miles away).

6 Likes