Seren yr Wythnos | Star of the Week

Hello!

It’s me here, tentatively peering out from behind one of the children. My cheeks are rather red and I’ve that coy uncertain, half smile on my face, you know the one, the smile that Aran keeps telling me to throw in the trash. Apparently I should accept compliments proudly and with a broad, warm smile… well, I’m still working on that one.

I’m not really all that good at this stuff, despite being filled to the brim with your compassion, kindness and sweet, warm words, I never quite feel deserving - I’m only me after all.

But I do thank you all o waelod fy nghalon, for your deeply moving posts and such wonderfully kind words. Thank you for thinking of me and for taking the time to write. It means the world to me.

The SSiW journey has been a challenging one for us at times, especially when the finances to home to baby ratio was at its most frightening. But it only took one email, in the early days, to reassure us that we were on the right path. One heartfelt email of thanks for the gift of a language, an email which was a gift in itself. Those emails increased in numbers, each one reminding us in turn that this was indeed a privilege, reminding us that what we were watching grow, member by member, week by week was much more than a language course.

We were growing a community, a family, filled with passionate and interesting people, all working towards a common cause. Now we are here, living a life filled with all you guys, which is more than anyone could ever dream of. It is indeed an absolute pleasure.

SSiW is all you. It wouldn’t exist without you. We may have laid the foundations, but you are its walls and floors, its windows and doors and everything else which makes it look interesting, beautiful and quite frankly, awe inspiring.

So diolch yn fawr iawn for all the feels.:slight_smile:

P.S. As for the singing… gosh, that’s a difficult one. I thought all traces of that recording (done a long time ago for something) had disappeared. I absolutely hate listening to myself chortle - I find it so cringeworthy! So many mistakes and out-of-tune bits, yuck! So having that recording ‘public’ is me way out of my comfort zone! I do really love singing, but I’m not at ease in front of an audience, not on my own anyway (too many scary Eisteddfod memories from way back when). Give me a few glasses of wine or half a bottle of Prosecco, though and I’ll gladly sing for anyone… you try and keep me away from that karaoke queue!

So thank you for the kindness in regards to the singing. I personally think it’s awful… :persevere: :flushed: :persevere: :flushed:

16 Likes

Ayayay @CatrinLliarJones. Don’t be like me regarding such things. Mistakes? Outtunes? … uff … wait … were there any? Did someone hear something like that? Just don’t hide that tune now please … You do sing good, wanting to accept this or not. Since it doesn’t look like I’ll ever hear/see you singing live in person, this is what I have … this little recording which I listen now and then with joy and delight …

Diolch yn fawr for it.

1 Like

@CatrinLliarJones, if it was ever recorded @tatjana will seek it out and find it.

3 Likes

Diolch @margaretnock

Hehe. There are some things I do remember after all but if @aran chooses to make tracks private there’s no help to drag them out unless hack thingy out (which we, good girls don’t do of course). But I’d be sad if Aran and Catrin decide to do so. Brilliant voices have to be heard. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@CatrinLliarJones Never doubt that you are deserving - it shines through in that post no matter how shy you might feel.

(And, you have no idea what “out of tune” means unless you could hear me try to sing! :scream: It’s a lifelong regret of mine that I truly cannot carry a tune. This is not being humble on my part, it’s simply fact :frowning2: You have a beautiful voice!)

3 Likes

Oh, @AnnaC diolch, me too! In school physics, when I was supposed to listen until notes matched and then put a little ‘rider’ on a string and watch it get vibrated off, I could not do it! I had to calculate the right place and then try. If I got it wrong, I didn’t have a clue which way to move it! So embarrassing when Welsh in England! The only ‘musical’ instrument I could ‘play’ was a drum!
@CatrinLliarJones I thought your singing was brilliant, but I do realise being told that by me is not much of a compliment!

2 Likes

It’s my favourite time of the week again…:slight_smile:

I’m guessing one or two of you will have seen this one coming…!

Seren yr Wythnos #3

:star: :star2: Cat Dafydd :star2: :star:

I first met Cat when she and Iestyn were living in Maesycwmmer, when I used to pitch up to stay the night at short notice, and then usually keep Iestyn up far, far too late in endlessly rambling, enthusiastic conversations (for which I don’t accept all the blame, since Iestyn’s habit of experimenting extensively with highly suspicious distilled substances tends to have that kind of effect).

I thought Cat was very patient to put up with me hijacking Iestyn, and I also (yes, I know, don’t laugh) thought she was a fairly quiet person! Ahem. It turned out that she was still in the early stages of learning Welsh herself, and understandably didn’t want to get drowned in an out-of-control high-powered-hosepipe-stream of overly-enthusiastic-Aran-Welsh…!

Now, to be honest, when I feel that people talk too much, I tend to be rude to them. Cat, by contrast, makes them quite remarkably good banoffee pies. Which, ahem, keeps them coming back and talking more…[/redface].

When Iestyn told me that he’d found a female voice for the southern course - or, to be more precise, that he’d asked Cat and she’d agreed - even while they were going to be on an 8 month journey around Europe with Ioan and Emrys! - I thought he might have been drinking (again). Put it this way - if you’d asked me to record Welsh lessons for other people when I was still in the process of learning, I’d have laughed at you and run for the hills.

Those of you who know Cat will know, of course, that courage and determination aren’t in short supply from her - as we’ve all seen as she has dealt with the enormous challenges that her back problems and caudina equina syndrome have thrown at her - leaving her in chronic pain with severely restricted movement - oh, and four children.

But even in the face of such painful difficulties, she’s kept recording, she’s got back to working part-time, she’s carried on travelling, she has always thrown herself into Bootcamps with huge enthusiasm and she has refused point blank to even countenance any kind of giving up.

She is, in fact, a model of determination for all of us, and I respect her courage more than I can easily express.

#***#

What have you appreciated most about Cat over the years?

What difference has she made to you?

Let’s give her a chance to see how much she really matters…

Seren yr Wythnos #1

:star: :star2: Iestyn ap Dafydd :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #2

:star: :star2: Catrin Lliar Jones :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #3

Seren yr Wythnos #4

:star: :star2: Dee McCarney :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #5

:star: :star2: Spenny :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #6

:star: :star2: Jeff Lewis :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #7

:star: :star2: Ifan Baines :star2: :star:

17 Likes

I learned the Southern course first and Cat’s cheery hwyl at the end of each lesson was always something I waited for after each lesson because it marked another lesson accomplished. Thanks Cat for helping me learn Welsh.

10 Likes

Cat was brilliant on bootcamp! Considering how exhausting pain can be she really didn’t allow it to impact.

She would patiently sit and chat with all of us and our stuttering Welsh. I’ll always remember her impression of Orville, and @isata’s reaction, during 20 cwestiwnau.

I was so surprised to learn that Cat had learnt Welsh. Her accent is very natural and she’s so comfortable in the language.

I’ve only had the pleasure of meeting two of their children, to which both Cat and Iestyn assured me were the calmer two…raising the four children is credit enough but they’re all so talented and have a very unabrassive and natural confidence. I hope I can do half the job Iestyn and Cat have done when I have children.

I very much hope Cat will be in Tresaith again in July.

8 Likes

Cat, I said this in some other post, but it’s worth repeating - I feel like you are my friend after listening to your voice for the last almost-two years. I wouldn’t be a Welsh speaker without you. I’m so impressed that you dived in as learner and agreed to be the female Southern voice. I am so grateful for your willingness to continue making the Southern lessons even with all your health challenges. As a mother myself, I can only begin to image how difficult it must be to have chronic pain and limited movement with four small children. I am in awe of your determination and courage.

And also, thank you again for making my prize for the SSiW Eisteddfod Ar-Lein last year - I love it to bits, and I still can’t believe that with everything going on in your life you made it!

Diolch yn fawr iawn iawn iawn am bopeth!

7 Likes

Cat, I’m so happy to see here as “Seren yr Wythnos”. You deserve it so much. I spent four Bootcamps in Tresaith with you and our chats about everything, family, work, disease,household, meant so much to me and gave me confidence to speak Welsh, more than all the challenges we made outside the canolfan. You and Iestyn are really stars. (And if you say that Elliw Mair is a calm child I wouldn’t want to raise a not-so-calm one)

5 Likes

Cat and Iestyn both have lovely voices, and when they are put together in the Southern lessons, 1 + 1 certainly equals more than 2 ! Thank you, Cat, for supplementing Iestyn’s dulcet tones with your own!

4 Likes

@anon86454181
Southern voice of the SSiW who, together with @Iestyn, has led me through the entire Welsh material of SSiW I’ve ever learnt/listened to. If I wouldn’t be told so, I’d never thought she once was learner of the language herself too. I many times use her pronunciation instead of Iestyn’s one as a model as sometimes she speaks a bit clearer and I understand her better. Her voice is somewhere inbetween of demanding Iestyn’s and gentle @CatrinLliarJones’ one, you simply have to follow and “obey”. :slight_smile: And yes, thank you for that cheerful “hwyl” at the end for which I long time was 100 % confident it’s something like “hayo” what always made me smile. (now isn’t much different though).

Great bootcamp host together with Iestyn and the girls,the family who, despite Cat’s back difficulty and pain - wakes with the song on their mouth in the morning and with the song they go to bed. I never sang so much in my life as I did on bootcamp last July thanks to Cat, Iestyn and girls. From the first minute you arive at the bootcamp and all the way to the last second of it Cat makes you feel welcome there. Her creativity and passion of both - making bootcampers being “animated” and learning/using the language - simply amazes me. Even when I wasn’t quite in the mood at one evening to do the stuff all the rest in the group were doing, her quiet determination, creative and cheerful mood made me come along and at least try to take part. Thank you in deed.

Great and passionate singer with strong and clear voice which goes very well with Iestyns also strong and clear voice. If they’d record music albums I’d gladly buy them all. I admire not only their voices but passion for singing which they are passing to their children (at least to the girls) as well.

The person you simply have to admire for all she does. How she deals with her health problems, how she raises the kids, all her patience and determination to do things in her life … You Cat inspired me to at least try to do more with my life. I could say more, but words are simply not enough …

Well, I met Cat only that last July at the bootcamp in person and I can’t say I really know her well, however one thing I know: not just she’s a passionate singer but she has (as I’ve said already) great voice too who I could listen over and over again.

Well, and … not to disappoint you, I’ll go within my style again …

She has a great voice … and great voices have to be heard. So, for all of you, here she is, together with Iestyn and the song which is as it would be written for them … Enjoy!

(I appologize for bad quality of recording but my camera has died and when you record with the tablet it’s very easy to put your hand near or across the mic. )

(I hope you, Cat and Iestyn, don’t mind I’ve put this clip on here for all to see. This is the only recording of Cat’s singing I have though, which is treasure to me).

Diolch am popeth Cat. Thank you for being here with us. Believe me, if it would ever be possible I’d take all that pain from you. Fighting through your life challenges make you so very special person one don’t meet very too often. I hope to meet you at some point of time again.

All the best to you! :wine_glass:

10 Likes

Diolch, Cat! I don’t exactly know you, but I know your voice so well! (I can second the relief and sense of achievement when Cat’s cheery ‘hwyl!’ finally comes up at the end of the lessons!) I’m so sorry about all the health challenges you’ve been facing - by all accounts you’re an absolute star.

And what an absolutely lovely performance - thanks @tatjana for sharing!

11 Likes

Yes. Lovely video. So nice to hear your story. I also feel as if I know you slightly from your cheerful voice. Also to know hat you lived close to us when we lived near Abertillery. Congratulations on your Seren yr wythnos!
John.

3 Likes

I’m a little slow off the mark here, but that does not diminish my huge affection for and admiration of Cat whom I first met at the very first bootcamp.

Obviously I endorse everyone’s tributes to her commitment to SSiW and her lovely family, her courage in the face of adversity and, of course, her beautiful spoken and singing voice. I’d like to add a little personal insight, however.

While processing the raw files from the ap Dafydd’s, I was privy to the hilarious giggles, laughter, bodily noises that passed between this marvellous couple. I also valued the difference in pronunciation between Iestyn and Cat which was in itself an important lesson for learners of Welsh, or indeed any language. Vive la différence :smile:

Diolch am popeth, cariad!

6 Likes

Cat Dafydd is one of the strongest people I know. She has battled through the last few years with so much determination and gusto. On top of this she maintains admirable enthusiasm and love of life - baking and decorating the most wonderful birthday cakes for her children despite chronic pain and reduced mobility. Teaching herself to sew the cutest clothes not only for her own four kids, but also other people’s children. Admirably maintaining her essential role as a mother, whilst working and dealing with her disability. Working at and growing her career and furthering her skills. Attending work conferences and courses, to which she travelled, via public transport, on her own, despite huge challenges! Keeping up with exhausting SSiW Bootcamps in Tresaith, with four kids, whilst still maintaining a smile, inspiring learners and entertaining the groups with her wonderful singing voice.

Cat, most definitely deserves our applause and admiration as one of the strongest and most inspiring women you’ll ever have the privilege to meet.

7 Likes

I’m sorry that I missed my chance to reply to Aran’s wonderful dedication to Iestyn. But here we go, better late than never…

Iestyn is a rock - a rock with a great sense of humour.

I first met him through our work with Cymuned, many, many years ago. I realised back then not only why Aran was so drawn to his friendship, but why the two of them got on so well - you should see the sparks that start flying around when they get together for one of their brain storming sessions - talk about energy!!!.

Iestyn is one of the most enthusiastic and positive people I know, with a real love for life and bags of energy. He is patient and compassionate, energetic and dedicated.

One of the things I appreciate most about Iestyn is his dedication to his friendship with Aran, his respect for him and the fact that he has always been there for him, in all weathers.

He is obviously a great father and a loving and dedicated husband. Also, without him, SSiW wouldn’t be the huge success it is today. So diolch Iestyn and iechyd da!

8 Likes

And from now on, you might find them a little trickier to predict…:wink:

Seren yr Wythnos #4

To be honest, I’ve always secretly thought that Dee’s Welsh was far too good for her to have any actual need for SSiW.

She came on our very first ever Bootcamp, and her enthusiasm, confidence and friendliness were a huge part of what convinced us that Bootcamps were a good idea.

Ever since, she’s been the staunchest possible supporter of everything we’re trying to do.

She got the idea of handing out business cards up and running, and heaven knows how many she’s dished out over the years. She’s had other terrific ideas (like cards in shop windows) too, which she always takes action on straight away. She does absolutely fantastic work with the weekly email newsletter (which I always look forward to reading, even though sometimes I skim it quickly enough to end up asking her to put something in it when she already has!), and she’s always a calm, friendly and supportive voice on the forum.

I’ll never forget her asking her daughter to send out an internal email in the BBC in Cardiff drawing people’s attention to SSiW - which was almost immediately followed by a senior official BBC staff email reminding everyone of the BBC’s own Welsh courses… :smiley: [I think I’d just about stopped chuckling about that two or three years later…;-)].

She has also been a huge support to Cat and Iestyn since she moved to Llandysul, always willing to lend a hand whenever possible, even when she’s had her own serious health problems to battle through.

It was a delight to see her in the recent reunion in Llandrindod of The Magnificent Saith (our very first Bootcampers) - and although we’ve never quite managed to get her to support Wales against the All Blacks, I really have to work hard to remember that Dee belongs (in part) to anywhere other than Wales.

We were so fortunate that Dee became part of this community.

Dee, diolch o galon i ti… :slight_smile: :star: :star2: :heart:

#***

How about you?

What have you appreciated most about Dee over the years?

What difference has she made to you?

Let’s give her a chance to see how much she really matters…

Seren yr Wythnos #1

:star: :star2: Iestyn ap Dafydd :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #2

:star: :star2: Catrin Lliar Jones :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #3

Seren yr Wythnos #4

Seren yr Wythnos #5

:star: :star2: Spenny :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #6

:star: :star2: Jeff Lewis :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #7

:star: :star2: Ifan Baines :star2: :star:

17 Likes

I already said it in the other Diolch thread! Certainly @Deborah-SSi is my personal Seren Fawr o SSiW! :star: :star: always helpful, runs Eisteddfod as well as n/l, great over petition and all while enduring chemo and radiotherapy! Star? She’s a Supernova! :

6 Likes