Sgwrs 31 (Advanced Content) Spoileriaid!

A Hwntw this week folks! Very strong West Wales accent. Topics - amateur theatre, undertakers, and television. He’s quite a character, so enjoy!

5 Likes

Soooooo excited…just downloaded e v e r y single file of the content. :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

2 Likes

Ah, such a lovvvely accent! :grin:

I have to listen to it again before I can write any more detailed comments, but in the meantime…is this the hut? (“capanna per pastori” sounds a bit funny!)

p.s. @Sean-O, you mean all the Sgwrs so far, all at once? :open_mouth: I hope you start from this one and listen to it several times very carefully, too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ydw/I do.

1 Like

Yes that’s the hut!!

1 Like

I loved this talk. And especially the bit where Rhys (a native Welsh speaker) has to ask you whether it’s ‘tri oed’ or ‘tair oed’ and you can’t explain why ‘tair oed’ is correct. It made my day!

4 Likes

I was thrilled too! And that is typical of first lang speakers, even ones like myself who have a degree in Welsh - and it proves the point that correct grammar is in no way a must for successful speaking - I know very few people who speak Welsh perfectly, we just speak it!

4 Likes

…and we got to hear a bit more from Beca this week - just so we can benchmark ourselves as to how our listening skills are coming on :wink:

…you’ve had a couple of people who have given incredibly long answers in recent weeks haven’t you - quite amazingly so in fact - so we’ve hardly heard you!

I thought the laughter was great this week - it made me smile a lot :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Rich

2 Likes

Haha yes! Some people treat the Sgwrs more as a talk given, whereas other people - mainly those that I know personally! - treat it more as a chat.
So, did you keep up with me?!

2 Likes

One of these years… :smile:

1 Like

…sorry for the flippant answer - it slipped out :smile:

In truth, I can keep up most of the time although I have to admit I find it very challenging. I often find myself thinking about what you have said/ must have said, after you’ve finished speaking…and that is something you can get away with some of the time when listening to a conversation but it’s probably not a good thing really is it.

It is the combination of a number of things - not just speedy speaking - you have a seemingly unlimited collection of northern short forms and abbreviations ( :smile: )…and a staccato style when talking quickly. I really do think you are the ultimate challenge!

But as we’ve said before that is definitely a good thing!

I enjoy your conversations very much and look forward to them every week.

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hah! Once you find Beca’s lovely, clear speech too easy, we’ll take you down to a pub in Caernarfon for a real challenge… :wink:

3 Likes

Ha, ha, no doubt!..but I’ll look forward to it anyway :wink:

Interestingly the other thing I find challenging is at the other end of the scale where the words sort of slide from one word into the other (obviously I understand completely what I mean but it is very tricky to describe :grimacing:)…

Geraint Lloyd does this a little bit - 10pm Radio Cymru - I find him hard to understand in full flow …but I’m using him as training as he is sort of half way on it…

…it is a strange business understanding the same language(?) from different mouths isn’t it?

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Guilty, your honour! I also find that I have a maddening habit of changing direction mid-sentence! I really annoy myself when I transcribe my bits!
By the way - I enjoy flippant! Keep at it!

2 Likes

Yes, words melting into one another, I can imagine that being tricky. I probably do that too… :grimacing::grimacing::see_no_evil:

1 Like

Just listened to this, it was brilliant! And we’ll done @gisella-albertini for finding the Hut, I’ll look at that for an escape.

Hambon, would bumpkin be the closest in UK English?

2 Likes