Shakespeare

I’m by no means an expert, but I do have to deal with copyright issues regularly as part of my job, so here’s my take on it.

I believe you would be safe to do this under the “fair dealing” exception because you are only copying a small proportion of the work and not the heart of it; you would be copying it for review (in the sense of you and other learners being able to review the translation and language nuances); that in only copying a small proportion you would not affect the market for the original publication adversely; you are fully accrediting the source.
For further reference: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright

As I said, that is my individual reading of the law (rather than my authoritative statement!) so I wouldn’t be at all offended if you want a second opinion!

2 Likes

Your advice is clear and more tnan authoritative enough for me, Diolch yn fawr eto.
Here’s the link to the opening page scan

Without sparing your blushes, I’d like to say what a tremendous resource you are for the SSi community on the Welsh language, Welsh literature, copyright law and so many other fields. :star:

When is the best time for us to prune our young (18 month) Magnolia, please? :laughing:

4 Likes

I’ll delegate that one. I’ll ask Meinir Gwilym next time I see her in the office! :wink:

3 Likes

Oh yes, some “lovely” literary forms there! It’s a whole other language again, isn’t it?! :joy:

1 Like

Meinir says not to if you can avoid it - it’s a bit young yet and lots of types of magnolia don’t tolerate pruning very well, but if you must, do it just after it finishes flowering :wink:

Diolch o waelod galon iddi ti a meinir. :smile:
Who needs Wicipedia? :laughing:

1 Like

@HuwJones - I’m sorry I missed your question until today. Twelfth Night happens to be my favorite of Shakespeare’s plays and I bought a copy of it in Welsh when I was there on Bootcamp. (Was that already two years ago?!) It appears to be the same one you got - J.T. Jones translator.

1 Like

Identifying as I do with Toby Belcher, I particularly like "Wyt ti’n meddwl. am ty fod ti’n fucheddol, na cheir na theisen na chwrw byth mwy? / Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale? " Act II Golygfa III :smile:

3 Likes

I’ll be the clown, Feste:
“Wel ceir, myn f’enaid i, a bydd sinsir am byth yn boeth yn y geg!” / Well said, 'pon my soul, and ginger shall be always hot in the mouth! [translation back, not quite Shakespeare’s original words]

1 Like