Shwmaeathon 15/10/18 - who and when?

I am BST and happy to fit in anywhere that I am free on the day, just let me know nearer the time or alternatively I will keep a lookout. I know some of the challenges on the weekly e mails of those on the structured courses have been one and two hour conversations, that could fill in a lot of time if you hi-jack a few of those people. You could do a “wanted list” nearer the time. @Iestyn

3 Likes

Saturday I’ll do my best to get tips about where to find a good connection in Napoli, from the bride or her sisters - before everybody gets too drunk to answer! :grin:

As for popping in myself, I can’t tell exactly when yet but more likely sometime between 13:00 and 15:00 BST

2 Likes

Diolch bawb! I have put an event on the WSP channel. I have 17 people attending so far (one of them is me!), so I could do with one or two more…

I’ve also got a bit more info on saysomethingin.com/shwmaeathon - take a look and let me know any comments, especially things I haven’t said or things that aren’t clear.

Diolch!

2 Likes

@Iestyn The type of membership we have of Slack apparently means that there’s a limit of c.20 people who can be registered for total hangouts at any one time, so anyone expressing interest at this point receives a reply:

"Eventbot Calendar Uh oh, your workspace has reached its limit of 20 participants. Upgrade Eventbot to allow for more participants."

This has come up before. It doesn’t mean people can’t join the hangout on the day, just that it’s not possible at present to put one’s name down for it. I guess more folks will be finding the same thing as they try to register…

5 Likes

Slack limit the number of people who can accept to join a hangout but we have found during the last six months on the course this doesnt really matter and as Alan says people who havent registered can join a hangout, its seems to be a case of first come first served. Just a thought but if you want to keep a record of people and times it may be an idea to keep your own list and if you do please put me on it as I was unable to register too. Pob lwc

2 Likes

Like @Tricia, I was one of the 17+ who tried to say “I’m interested”
Following Tricia’s suggestion, this might give @Iestyn a better idea how many and who :
Please “Like” this post (click the :heart: ) if AND ONLY IF you intend to join Iestyn’s Shwmaethon on the Slack WSP channel.

Please do not click “like” otherwise.

29 Likes

Yes. This will give a better idea of numbers if wr actuslly press like on Huw’s post. As mentioned, the expression of interest on Slack is only that. Not a real reservation. Im pretty sure that anyone (registeted with the Slack WSP) can join the hangout up to a max of 10 st any time. So we can just rotate or whatever Iestin advises on the day. I hope im not speaking out of turn. Cheetd John

2 Likes

Good idea Huw and I’ve liked. I dont think some folks on Slack are on the forum so may not be aware.

2 Likes

Good points, @JohnYoung and @Tricia. Whatever emerges from the “like count” will have to be inflated by a guess at non-SSiW Slack participants.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up on the Slackbot limit thing. And a great idea Huw to ask people to like your post to indicate that they are interested.

I need to get a handle on who is going to be speaking to me when - just to make sure that I can start and finish with people there, so NZ /Aus at 3 in the morning on Monday, and USA / Canada / Hawaii etc in the run up to 3 on Tuesday morning.

I’ve started a new thread in “meet-ups” to ask about people and places here: Shwmaeathon - who and when?

Diolch!

2 Likes

I presume if I don’t express my interest but just grab the link from the Slack and put it into the browser separately it would work just fine. So I could click like to your post but I’ll just infiltrate myself in through the hangouts directly if I may … :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Seasonally adjusted”, surely?

1 Like

You mean the original post or yours?
(Just in case, I like both!)

I had tried to say I’m interested too but for Slack it was sold out! :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, the idea is to use Huw’s post to get an approximate count of the number of people who will drop in and say Shwmae on that day, since the automatic system at Slack will only let 20 people “register” for talking on a specific time/day/something like that.

2 Likes

@tatjana and @gisella-albertini
This “like click” exercise is purely intended to respond to Iestyn’s wish to get a better idea of numbers, since Slack indicates only 17 participants. This “limit” has been explained by others here and on Slack but the advice seems to be that the stated Slack limit is not a real one, so feel free to join or not as you wish,

If you think you might join the Shwmaethon, Tatjana, please go ahead and “Like” the post. It would not, of course, commit you, but I hope personally that if you do join, I may be in the hangout at the same time. :smile:

2 Likes

I’m terrible at remembering stuff at times but I’m about during the day when slack tends to be quiet, so I’ll try and join in a lull. Oh I’m running on Pembrokeshire time!

1 Like

Will try in the afternoon, Wales’ time.

1 Like

I’m 5 hours behind BST. I expect I’ll be available sometime in the 11pm to 3am range your time. I’ll try to say shwmae when you’re not busy-I’ll try to keep a lookout.

1 Like

I’ve put my big :heart: to the suggested post! :slight_smile:

Diolch!

I’d be glad to catch with you eventually on hangout. :slight_smile:

So, @Iestyn the crowds are gathering and I’m happy for that. :slight_smile: Let’s make it big!

1 Like

By sheer luck of coincidence I have the day off on the 15th, so I am rather flexible. I’m planning to be online after sleeping in and breakfast, so you can expect me to show up at around 10yb (Central European Time), filling blanks that need filling and scooching over if the place gets too crowded.

1 Like