Shwmaeathon 15/10/18 - who and when?

Shw mae, @Netmouse - no need for a full hours’s conversation. I’m hoping that people will pop in and out and say shwmae and have a sgwrs and just generally share their Welsh.

So if you’re available for 10 or 15 minutes, with occasional stops to, umm, encourage your kids, that would be brilliant. It’ll make good wtaching as well.

On other news, the post cyntaf slot has been changed to 7.55, and it’s going to be a phone interview with Cat joining the hangout from our very own chaotic family breakfast. So @margarethall and @Betterlatethan - if you were specifically wanting to speak to Cat and be in the background of the radio interview, then arriving at 7.50 will get you there. But whenever you come, and however long you stay, it will be great to speak with you!

3 Likes

I’ve noted the revised time, Iestyn. Actually that will suit me better – as long as I wake up in time! I have to go out at 8.45 to get to my 9.00 a.m. Welsh class, so 7.45 to 8.15-ish will be fine.

1 Like

I’ve signed up for Monday at 8pm my time, which should be 1am your time, since it was an empty slot. I’ll bring virtual coffee :slight_smile:

FAO @Iestyn
Updated at 14:25 YM time; 13th Oct
Here are the results of my click survey and this thread augmented by a guesstimate based on the 17 people who were “allowed” to express interest on WSP/Slack.
The following are the forum names of the 29 people who clicked my survey by 13th October:
brigitte, siaronjames, Hendrik, AlanP, JohnYoung, Cyprain, Tricia, AnnaC, Sionned, Novem, Betterlatethan, KateM, margarethall, vikta, delawarejones, gisella-albertini, AnneEvans, tatjana, mikewilliams-1, Bob, dee, BronwenLewis, Kshreeve, jo-hornagold1, Isata, billspawton; philipmcmanamon; Richard-R; louis

To this add tygerc, helenlindsay, HuwJones (me) and Catriona who expressed an interest here but did not click my survey.

That comes to 33 as of today
I estimate that 1/4 to 1/3 of the 17 slack respondents may not be SSiW members so, taking this into account, my best guesstimate is that there will be 39 to 44 participants. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there. I am on BST and can be around mid morning, if that’s any good. (I’m guessing that will be a relatively quite time, as many folk will be at work.)

I’m a bit rusty, as I’ve been travelling for a month, so not able to ymarfer siarad a gwrando. But I’ll do the best I can :slight_smile:

2 Likes

PS I can see from the Doodle that you are a bit thin early afternoon. I can try and log in then but unfortunately we are going be without power for a coup!e of hours in the afternoon while a new meter is installed, so I can’t promise!

1 Like

I’ve got as far as getting Dee to send me a Slack invitation. Then I saw the instructions for how to join a hangout and my brain froze over slightly. I’ll get myself registered on Doodle for a slot during the work day (hey, my job is to promote the Welsh language so this counts, right?) and I’ll make sure I have enough coffee to work out how to connect. Looking forward to chatting with you, Iestyn!

1 Like

Sara, if you want to have a practice hangout with me on Slack this weekend, just let me know and I can talk you through any problems :slight_smile:

…actually that applies to anyone who hasn’t joined a hangout before and would like to try before the shwmaeathon!

4 Likes

I put my name in the Doodle for 13.00 to 14.00, but I made a mistake because I thought the time-table was Britlish time, but it is my local time. I can finish my work earlier, but maybe I’ll be some minutes too late. Maybe someone can fill in for me from 12.00 to 12.15 ( British time)?

1 Like

Helo, I’m in Zeland Newydd and would love to try to take part. I am therefore on NZDT, 12 hours ahead of BST. Unfortunately I’m a bit lost with all this hangout, slack, doodle stuff - if I email admin at say something, will I get an invite or link which will connect me to google hangout on my iPad (I do have a google account) which I can see is there but I have never used? If not what do I do to connect? Ive never really had a Welsh conversation but that is not nearly as worrying as trying to get connected. If I manage it it will probably be between 1 and 2am BST Tuesday, although I’ll probably try to connect much earlier than that (on the Monday morning) to see if I can.
Robin

If you have twitter here are some details about the whole thing: how to participate etc. https://twitter.com/DailyWelshWords/status/1049313667903315968 however I believe you can view the link without twitter acount too. If you click on the tweet, the whole thread will open and in the following tweets there are informations you need.

Hope it helps in a way.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in Melbourne, which I think is 10 hours ahead of BST. I’ll put myself down on Doodle for the 7-8 am timeslot, which seems to be the only one left empty at the moment, but I could join a couple of hours earlier or later as well, and if you’re running thin towards the end I could pop up again the next day. The joys of coming back from holidays and not being due back at work just yet!

2 Likes

Thanks @tatjana… From Iestyn’s tweet, I gather that there will be a link to join the Hangout in the info under the SSi Languages YouTube livestream video.

I am assuming that the two Slack communities I am in (namely 6mws and Welsh Speaking Practice) will also show a link in a channel somewhere…

I shall be spoilt for choice… Good thing, too. I am doing a day-trip to Newtown/Drenewydd, Powys. I was there on Friday for the day, to be entertained by Storm Calum… This time I hope the weather will be calmer and that I’ll be able to explore the town on my own a bit, before joining @nia.llywelyn and her book club at the library all of whom are hosting a guest, authoress Zoe Pettinger! Now that would be a lovely occasion/bunch to join Shwmaethon but who knows if we have the technology.

I have lost access to my own camera on my iPad for lack of recall of a password, so I’ll be voice + static image, I am sad to say. Mae ddrwg gen i… On the Doodle list, I seem to be the only one signed up for midnight after my return from Drenewydd…

Okay @Iestyn, I hope to drop in tomorrow morning for a short while some time between 06:00 and 07:00 BST. It’ll have to be short as we’re on holiday but I’d be delighted to add my few minutes. Maybe I missed the posting, but I understand that the link to the hangout will be posted on the Welsh Speaking Practice Slack? Has it been posted yet?

1 Like

Hiya @Iestyn I’ll join in the morning (doodle filled out!) and maybe say Shmae to Hendrik at the same time!

2 Likes

Hi @bedw_arian, in case you’re still trying to work this out - if you email admin as specified, they will send you an invite to Welsh Speaking Practice on the Slack website. The link to the Shwmaeathon should appear there in the Hangouts channel, which you just click on when you’re ready to join in. Yes I’m sure that alternatively you can also join via your google account. The advantage of joining WSP on Slack is that you will be able to chat one-to-one or in other hangouts when this particular event is over.

The Doodle link on this thread above is simply to allow you to book one or more time-slots over the 24-hour period. I’d never seen it before now but it’s pretty clear and easy-to-use. Being a complete technophobe, I’m sure that if I can manage to connect up, you will be able to also! Pob lwc.

1 Like

Sorry to be slow to answer all of these. I don’t know if Llandysul made the news yesterday, but the bottom of the village was under water for a good few hours. That’s where our exchange is, and our broadband has been awful today! Fingers crossed for tomorrow…

Anyway, it’s great that so many of you are here and up for taking part. Here’s a quick rundown on how taking part works:

First go to YouTube.com/SSiLanguages. You should see the live broadcast happening there without having to do anything. If you can’t, then I shall also be tweeting the link via @DailyWelshWords, and try to put it on the forum and Facebook, although this will require a measure of multi-tasking from me, which is something I’m not particularly good at!

If you can see the broadcast, there will be a description underneath that will include a link to click to take you to the hangout. You will need to be using either Chrome or Internet Explorer as your browser - things like Firefox and Edge won’t work. You will also need a google account to be able to use a hangout.

As long as you have those things, clicking on the link will take you direct to the hangout.

I aim to be on the hangout for the whole 24 hours, obviously with a few breaks. However, if the broadband drops out, then you may be left holding the slack. Please forgive me for that! If it gets too bad, then I shall come home and continue from here - the broadband is better here.

I really appreciate your help and enthusiasm - we’ll have fun even if it’s at half broadband speed!

6 Likes

I didn’t see the news published from their FB acount however I’ve seen the appeal for voluntiers to help those affected by water today and some pictures from other flooded areas so I can imagine the situation. I don’t know how it’s directly in Llandysul but photos from elswhere look like those you see from Bangladesh when the monsoon comes. Hope brodband holds whatever ir will be and all around the flooded ares are as safe as possible in this situation. If I could I’d send some warm and clear weather we’re experiencing right now, with no clouds on the sky at all, up there, but unfortunately this is not in my powers.

Pob lwc!

3 Likes

I signed up for two slots, but I cannot talk for 2 hours but will fill in during those time slots as much as possible.

1 Like

Just a reminder … 3 hours to go. (Written at 7 minutes after midnight UK time) :slight_smile:

Pob lwc @Iestyn! See you at the evening! :slight_smile:

1 Like