Shwmaeathon 15/10/18 - who and when?

Do note that it seems to be impossible to join with a mobile phone (at least with Samsung android). The link from YouTube opens Play store and not the Hangouts app itself. And the link itself is incomplete and cannot be copied. Args. I’ll try again with a computer after my run.

1 Like

A big thanks to Iestyn for taking the time to talk with me. This was my first conversation in Welsh so it was very exciting for me and I was also nervous and could not think of some pretty simple words. Iestyn was very patient and creative in keeping the conversation going, I could not get my camera to work so he was at a disadvantage. Nevertheless, we talked about our children, work, movies, American baseball, and other things. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to communicate with someone in Welsh. Learning a language is rewarding but being able to communicate with someone else, even in limited way, is the ultimate payoff for hours put into learning.

8 Likes

Does it work with this link @tygerc?
https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/ytl/kJfz_tOvJhwjL7xYRUxHkd26kj0k9N1Ma0zRzfC4O_I=?hl=en_GB

1 Like

Yes @Deborah-SSi, that works. Thank you. I tried to get on this morning at 5am gmt but couldn’t so this helps a lot. I’m in work at the moment but popped on for a sec to check the link. I hope to be back on this evening.

2 Likes

Hi, good chat this morning and a fine way to start the week. Hopefully I’ll pop in again later on.

I just tried to sponsor Iestyn, but I couldn’t get it to accept the start and expiry dates of my card - has anyone else had a problem?

1 Like

I’m watching live and everyone looks and sounds great except poor old Iestyn and it’s his gig. Someone get to llandysul and sort his WiFi out. :thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

I’ve sponsored this 2 days ago, but all went well. No problems at all. I’m a signed in member of MyDonate so it could be this is it and I have 2 Credit cards on the file both MASTERCARD though.

Unfortunately I’m at work and poped up just to see if here’s something new. Can’t watch though.

I’m asigned to drop in at 8 pm UK time hopefully all will manage to cheer up @Iestyn enough to hold on until then and hopefully WI-FI gets better until then also.

Anyone sang Coffi Du until now? No! Sorry I won’t either. Still didn’t master the lyrics though.

Have great fun pawb and good luck!

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In Llanrug (3 miles outside Caernarfon) - probably after 9pm tonight. Busy with other stuff in the daytime.

Good news is my ZEN internet connection seems to be a good speed. But having only recently moved house, some of my IT stuff is still back in Bolton, Lancs. Hopefully the equipment I have with me will work for the hangout (like it did for Siaron’s hangout a few weeks back).

1 Like

I saw you, Mackie, but by the time I found out how to join via YouTube, you had gone.
(I forgot that I hd previously opted out of YouTube - paranioa strikes again. :laughing:

@Iestyn just posted a new link to Shwmaeton so if you find difficult to join through any platform you can join here I believe. https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/ytl/JZw9zLWgJRBJvH_1uTkL7ebsE6hsD5PIrImb4mV92sA=?hl=en_GB

Join us and siarad. Quite some interesting faces I’ve seen. :slight_smile:

Hwyl!
Tatjana

1 Like

Ha I was laughing this morning when you joined the chat for the first time and then found myself in the same pickle late afternoon. They say god loves a trier and we tried our best. FairPlay to you I watched on you tube most of the day and you was like a pro in the end. I watched heno tonight and everyone looked great even the box supporting the lap top.
FairPlay to Iestyn, with all the floods and WiFi problems he has soldiered on and got lots of people to try slack for the first time. I thought I was tired after getting up at 4.30 to drive back to Barry but he had already started by then. See you soon. :+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

I’ve spent a few hours on the Shwmaethon, some in Llandysul and some at home in Ystrad Meurig and enjoyed every minute of it. Diolch o galon i ti @Iestyn am dy syniad mor gwych. / Thank you for your inspired idea (whether you thought of it “in the bath or in bed”). It was a wonderful exprience (profiad ardderchog) to speak to people from all over the world in our shared beloved langauge.
Arwr wyt ti, Iestyn / You’re my hero. :clap::clap:

6 Likes

So, for all those who didn’t find today’s HENO yet and @Iestyn and @HuwJones in it from around 30:27 with all who were online at that time, here’s the link: http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/797770056

You all look great!

3 Likes

Just did it and no problem.

What I would say to @Iestyn though is that I didn’t realise until I saw your post Kate that there was a charitable donation possible. Perhaps I was just too lazy to see it or my Welsh was not brilliant but, if I missed it then others might not have realised they could donate something as well.

Link to Shwmaeathon part 5 - the final instalment…

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/ytl/VGpPqUUojbjfyLnoC844PfgRaEsmxm6BCuLGhLLI1Xg=?hl=en_GB

3 Likes

Hey, Kate:

I had to enter my information twice, but it was fine after that and I live in the US.

Funny story, for everyone. I dialed in this morning and used my Wife’s Gmail account, because I don’t have one. I was greeted with her name, “Sh’mae Millicent.” HA! Second thing I asked if it was still raining “cwrw.” Clearly, I need to learn weather temsr. :rofl:

5 Likes

I was going to join in before going to bed (about 21:40) but the screen on youtube was full of people (about 10 people I think) and a couple of people actually commented on this so obviously the busiest part of the day. Then I thought I’d join for a bit when I woke for my mid sleep trip to the loo which is always between 01:30 and 02:00 but last night it didn’t happen till 03:42, gutted. TMI? Maybe. :joy:

I hope everything went well.

Llongyfarchiadau.

5 Likes

Well done @Iestyn, it was great to talk to you, Huw, Cat and all the other SSiW ers.
I hope things are getting back to normal at Llandysul following the floods, it must be terrible to have your property damaged in that way.
I expect there won’t be much chance of a lie in with those lovely children, perhaps a siesta? Llongyfarchiadau

3 Likes

Oh, I was there too and it would be really great to see you there too. Sorry you didn’t enter.

It was published on @DailyWelshWords on twitter in the Shwmaeton thread and I saw it there. I had the idea to post it here, but obviously I was disturbed with something and forgot. I bet the site on MyDonate will be opened long time after the shwmaeton so there’s still possibility to donate.

Thank you. I’m interested in if you’ve finished in style with crowd present due to early morning hours. I slept like an angel so didn’t wake up to hop in at the end of the session but I thought about at 4:30 when waking up, if the finale went well though.

Chiers to all who took part and to all who had good intention but couldn’t manage to go along.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A few more Shwmae’s from Ysgol Y Cwm, Trevelin, Patagonia :slight_smile::
https://youtu.be/-E3r3rn3YvA

4 Likes