Sir Benfro dialect

I have been searching for some additional resources to help adapt my learning to the particular dialect of my area on the north coast of Sir Benfro. I’m trying out my first real conversations and have come across some very different words to the ones I am used to.

For example today I misunderstood what someone was saying when they used a very local word for ‘busy’ (I’m used to ‘prysur’). Other words I have come across include ‘feidr’ for lane, ‘iet’ for gate and ‘wes’ for yes (although I don’t know if its use follows a pattern like ydw, ydy, do etc.)

There seems to be a very local dialect here which makes life ‘diddorol iawn’ but I would like to learn more.

Trouble is when I google Pembrokeshire dialect it only comes up with the English dialect of South Pembrokeshire.

Does anyone have any links to useful resources on this?

Diolch

2 Likes

I managed to find this if it’s any help. Based on hearing people from that area in the media, wes is equivalent to oes i.e. you’d still use yw, ydw etc. as in other dialects. Oedd in other dialects also changes to wedd (so o’n i becomes we’n i) and ddoe to dwe losing the mutation.

1 Like

I’ve heard it referred to as “the land of the wes, wes” - and yes, it’s equivalent to oes in more standard Welsh.

If you email Margaret at Menter Iaith Sir Benfro Margaret@mentersirbenfro.com and ask to be included in their email list, you’ll find out about lots of events for Welsh learners in your area, and you’ll be able to learn more about the dialect there.

1 Like

When the Eisteddfod comes to Sir Benfro, “A Oes Heddwch” famously becomes “Wes Heddwch” :grinning:

2 Likes

Recently moved to Sir Benfro so all of these links will be useful. Diolch.

Diolch yn fawr iawn pawb! Very helpful!

Dwi newidd ddechrau dysgu. I can learn more about the local dialect as I go along.

Dwi’n meddwl ei fod yn bwysig.

Diolch!

1 Like