Six Nations

Well, we were colonised by many other countries but somehow we don’t feel like you do toward England.

Strange, but I’ve already grapsped the feeling and all things going around this. I not just know, but when the game, feel the energies flowing there around very strongly. So, yah, I obviously, at least in my soul and at some circumstances, am slowly becoming kind of Welsh soul …

It’s very simple, if you are Welsh you support two teams: Wales and whoever is playing England

3 Likes

Yn wyr iawn!!!
To @mikeellwood The bit about the bottle is my favourite line in Hymns and Arias!! Of course, Max says his is “We defeated England…”, which comes a close second with me!! Oh and, by the way, that day, I was there!!!
I always said to Irish fans, if they won, as we were leaving Lansdowne Road (they didn’t often win at The Arms Park), “Now, you make sure you beat the English as well!” I may have thought it about France or Scotland, but they both tend to crow if they win, for which the French have a better excuse considering their emblem!!! So they didn’t need more morale boosting from me!!!

I have many Scottish friends, so whenever Wales and Scotland playin the 5/6 nations, whichever team wins that match, it is always a case of ‘well you have to beat England now to make up for it’

1 Like

I think it’s important for the friendly nature of this thread that we remember that SSiW has as many learners in England (many of whom are English) as we do in Wales, more or less…

And that while supporting anyone playing against your main rivals is a fairly common sporting thing, on this forum we all need to make sure that our friendliness to all our particularly lovely English learners of Welsh is and remains front and centre… :sunny:

1 Like

Well said! Rugby is a friendly world. There are many traditions in the friendly rivalry of the 6nations, but at the end of the day we are all friends. I have many English friends and I have a lot of love for England too <3. I was in a pub in England for the Wales v England match at last years 6nations and people were incredibly kind to me after the match, as the only Welshman in the pub.

1 Like

By the way, there are a lot of urban myths surrounding that promotional clip, including but not limited to the ‘fact’ that it was ever broadcast (it wasn’t) and that only 11 people complained (they couldn’t possibly have). In fact it was never approved by the 6 Nations who thought it was a bit negative.

1 Like

I know, but it did go viral on social media. I put it up really to illustrate that there is this shared attitude towards England rugby from all the other ‘home nations’. That whilst we are even more passionate about the England game, especially during the game, there is no hate.

1 Like

It’s only natural when you consider the nature of the relationships. Putting politics and historical baggage aside, one country has vastly superior resources at its disposal in terms of money and players: Of course everyone wants to beat them, to show that they can overcome those odds.

3 Likes

OK, Everyone on the Forum must have noticed that I’m a Nationalist, unreconstructed, but I live with a half Scots/half English friend and I lived in England for more years than most of you have probably lived at all!!
I once took an English friend to Twickenham to watch us play her lot!! I can’t remember how I got two tickets or why her husband let her come, but when we got back to their house, she cried, “They’re mad! They’re all mad!” This was because, when we finally got ahead in a close game, the chap in front of us was so excited that he grabbed his friend’s crutch and waved it over his head, while his friend hopped on his one good leg!!!
She didn’t mind my pleasure in winning, because she realised we were all as mad as each other!!
But there is a lot of history behind this, beginning when the Romans left.
Also we all know what lurks behind Ireland’s wish to win and there were a lot of years when England and France were fighting, while Scotland had the Auld Alliance and Owain Glyndwr wrote to ask the King of France for aid!!
I think we all view Italy differently. It is a long time since the Romans left and most of Scotland and all of Ireland weren’t conquered.
Scotland has a different beef with England. An Independent country ‘gives’ its neighbour a king. A granddaughter of that king asks the two countries to join so she only has one Parliament to attend. The larger country, from thenceforth treats the smaller as a colony. It wasn’t surprising. It was how they were used to treating other Nations, but it is bound to rankle!

SO: I like a lot of English people. I like most of the English people I have ever met.
But I still want Cymru to win!!
(And I still want Cymru to be an independent Nation!)
@aran I hope this will not get me banned. I feel honesty is best!! I haven’t met anyone on the forum who is anything but lovely.
I’m not lovely! I’m a crotchety old dragon! I didn’t wield green paint, but only because I was in London most of the time. We had protest parties in London about things we didn’t like and could do nothing about!!

3 Likes

Needless to say, I mis-read this and did a double & triple take…

3 Likes

What, wanting Wales to win at rugby, or wanting Wales to be independent?

Neither of those will get you banned. We pretty much only ban for unpleasantness to other users (of whatever nationality).

We’ve had plenty of conversations about politics in here over the years, but they need to take a very different (polite and friendly) tone to the usual online ranting that can be found all over the internet… :sunny:

Thanks Aran, I was beginning to feel just a little unloved. Reminds me of an old song I used to know-Nobody loves me , everybody hate me, think I,ll go and eat worms!
I have always loved watching Six Nations rugby and, of course, I always support Wales…except when England are playing!
My Mother was a great Max Boyce fan and had most of his recordings. He always made me laugh and I think he caught the spirit of the rivalry very well.
I hope everyone enjoys this years championship whoever they support.

3 Likes

May I say, Maureen, that I didn’t actually like that clip about everyone wanting England to lose. It may be true, but there again, it may not! And I remember Andy Murray getting into terrible trouble over saying something along the lines of “I don’t care who wins, as long as it’s not England.”
I don’t actually like any fans to crow when their team wins. I might react differently to beating Ireland: “Never mind, it was a good game. I hope you do better against…er…England!” Or Italy, “You are getting really good, you know, I think you just lack confidence!” Against the others, I don’t really say anything, and I’m not sure I’d say that to an Italian unless I know them well, as it does sound a bit patronising.
To @aran Thank you.

2 Likes

We were damn lucky to beat France and only succeeded because they really are not playing well!! Heaven help us against England!!

We were 19-3 up with 2 minutes to go! There’s nothing lucky about that - France never managed to put us under pressure on the scoreboard. :sunny:

1 Like

I’m not arguing with that!! We were lucky France played so badly!!!

France could have played a lot better than that and still lost. Our defence was hugely impressive. Sure, we’d all like more of the fancy stuff on top, but in the modern game if you don’t have a massive defence, you’re not at the races. That result wasn’t about luck… :sunny:

:sob: That is my problem. I am not modern! :sob:
I love old fashioned running rugby. OK we still get a bit. But we get bigger and bigger backs trying to drive through bigger and bigger forwards. Is it to become a test of strength instead of skill?? Are schools telling little lads like Barry John and Shane Willams, “Don’t expect to play in any serious team, you’re too small!” I think I’ll go in mourning for Rwgbi Cymru!! :disappointed: