Six Nations

That’s an understandable point of view (and one that I share to a large extent). Doesn’t mean we were lucky last Friday, though…:wink:

One of the easiest ways to reduce size in the game would be to cut back on the ridiculously long half-time periods. If half-time was a two minute break on the pitch to have a drink and then get on with it, the players who prioritise size over endurance would suffer badly in the second half - and the game would move at least a few steps back in the direction of lighter, faster players.

1 Like

Sob! :sob:
New tactic! Give England a chance, boys! Let’em score 19 before we wake up and smell the coffee!
Didn’t work, did it? Should’ve made it 16, see!!
(I’ve reverted to the idioms of my youth, but in those days we walked over them!!!)
Any one got any ideas what got into our lads???

I felt it was our tactic obviously, too.

[size=20]I WAS ANGRY I’D RATHER BLOW FIRE AT THE END![/size]

I mean, we could do better …

Actually all Welsh teams lost yesterday except U20 on Friday who beat England U20 42-16. Women lost 13-20. (just for the record as I know not many of you follow happenings in all teams…)

I have had my eyes on the U20s for a while. They seem to be doing a lot better than the senior team! Back in the day, Barry John and Gareth Edwards played for Wales when they were under 20, I’m pretty sure. Maybe Warren G should take note!
I will grovel and admit that I was raised to see Rugby as a great game for men and I am too old to start seeing a load of girls in a scrum as watchable! I know that nowadays lots of little girls grow up wanting to play for Wales, but… In that respect, I am a creature of my era!!
p.s. Terrible experience yesterday, living in Scotland, team hasn’t beaten France for ten years… and I know that if Scotland win, England get the Championship for sure!!
Now I can only hope France wake up, smell the coffee and stop the English getting the Grand Slam!
If we play like Saturday, we deserve to lose to Italy!!

1 Like

You should watch them some time. They’re playing better and better and it isn’t even a bit odd to see them in scrum. Actually they many times can be more passionate (in good way) then men. However they’d need to do a lot yet to win anything else (like World Cup or something like this).

2 Likes

I know several ladies who play rugby and I fully support the women’s game. I just find watching women getting wet and muddy a little pervy, I find it difficult to overcome this and it is distracting from enjoying the rugby!
I agree with your point about the game becoming for giants and too much a physical confrontation. In many ways I think this is why 7s has become so popular. Rugby is supposed to be a game anyone can play, but nowadays you have to be big to be a back too
The England game whilst painful to watch the first half, was interesting in that England played an intense physical game for the first 15 minutes or so, which we seemed completely unprepared for and took too long to recover from. Then later on we realised we could actually string a couple of passes together and finished the dominant team, but we were too far behind.

Excellent analysis!! I suppose I shoud get interested in women’s rugby as they are less likely to rely on brawn!! As for Wales, if someone had told me in 1972 that one day we would forget to pass the ball when playing England, I’d not have believed them! I recall being at a BaaBaas game with David Duckham on one wing. I forget who they were playing. Oz? Blacks? ANOtherside? Anyway, someone in the crowd called out, “You’re all right today, Dai, you’ll get the ball!” Which summed up the difference having Welsh half backs made!

You really should get over it. My daughter’s friend plays international rugby (admittedly for England!) and that led to me actually getting off the couch and getting to my first live 6 nations match a few years ago (supporting her opponents, Wales, of course!). I know the men are bigger and hairier, and that there’s more of a crowd and therefore more of an atmosphere, but the women don’t mess about! There is little in my mind more physically impressive than playing international rugby. To do it only a few months after giving birth and while still breastfeeding, and yet still throw yourself body and soul into every tackle without a moment’s hesitation is mindblowing!

3 Likes

Yah, but did yuo notice that almost every woman player has long hair by default? (I’m atlking about hairstyles of course) This is amazing since I feel sometimes they’d remain without them at the end, doing scrums, tackles and what’s more to it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only played rugby at school (terribly) I was still bald by my mid-twenties though.Then there’s the lovely Adam Jones, who despite a long career in rugby still has lovely long hair. It’s unfair I tell you, unfair!

1 Like

I love his hair! He wouldn’t be what he is without it. I sense (you’d maybe say I’m stupid) these hair are his good energies providers if he cuts them off he’d loose something valuable. (and this reminds me about the my hair story and loosing the good energies/vibrations …)

Well, there is an ancient precedent:

Samson had two vulnerabilities, his attraction to untrustworthy women and his hair, without which he was powerless. These vulnerabilities ultimately proved fatal for him.

(For legal reasons, I feel I should emphasise that the above statement is in no way directly applicable to Mr Jones … :smiling_imp: … )

Yup. I know the story and it obviously is much truth in it. Some things just mustn’t be changed, no matter what …

Well, season over… 6 Nations that is. I am obliged to congratulate all of you who support Loegr (through gritted teeth) :dragon_face:
If only we hadn’t played the first half last week while still sleeping!! Now I believe, the team is going to tour Seland Newydd !!
Frankly, I’ll be very glad if we can beat a Province or two!! Looking forward to watching on TV, though!!
I well remember the agony of the days when live reporting of the game was at 2.00 a.m on radio. So there am I in a 1st floor flat, not daring to turn it up in case I waken neighbours above and below (I was in England), and not able to cheer or make any noise, as I then missed what was said!!

1 Like

@Hendraig :

This programme would appear to be up your strydd!

Takes me back, certainly! But makes me sad, so stopped listening. Can’t forget recent sight of him on TV, wouldn’t have known it was him, weighs…a lot, drinks…a lot…all because he was too good, lacked any real challenge and, like George Best, could see the only way was down!

To all who follow from outside Wales, matches are on S4C yn Gymraeg with English divided, some on ITV and some on BBC. First Wales game next Sunday afternoon, English on ITV. Don’t know about availability outside UK. May be carried by local channels in some places - well, we’re playing Yr Eidal (Italy) first, so you might pick it up from there @tatjana !!!

1 Like

Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Oohooo, my neighbours against my favourite team …! This should be something!

Thankfully, for now, I have my online resources which are mostly prety legal and some matches are also broadcasted on one of our channels too. Since rugby is more popular in our country these days than it was 3 or 4 years ago I might be lucky enough to watch all matches on TV although I rather watch them online. This way I can make some screenshots, tweet in the mean time with some encouraging words to the boys and fans (although no one probably reads them and the boys don’t know I’m posting at all since they play the game) and then afterwards I enjoy the victory or cry together with my Welsh friends and all fans of Welsh team.

Yah, I hardly wait too.

Today on BBC, "the best six rugby teams in Europe! "
Are they? I think the loser, whoever comes 6th, should play two games, home and away, against Georgia and the best plays in the following year’s 6nations. If other teams want to set up a junior nations tournament to challenge Georgia for the chance of promotion, fine! Else, how can we honestly claim to be best 6?

1 Like