Slavic languages

It’s a long time ago that I was in Zimbabwe - and I had no idea how to go about language learning back then, really - just had a couple of grammar books - but I certainly didn’t find the overall structure of sentences all that unfamiliar… :sunny:

I remember that one of the cases was for long, thin things - so it included snakes and roads - which I thought was rather lovely, if a little tricky…:wink:

3 Likes

How intriguing! And how very subjective. I wonder how that came about as the language evolved - perhaps snakes and lizards of various kinds were very common in the area.

1 Like

It would be lovely to be able to see how it developed. I don’t know how it matches up to other Bantu languages. It certainly makes 5 or 6 case languages look as though they’re being very reasonable…:wink:

1 Like

You can both start…

4 Likes

Wow, Tatjana, I am constantly tempted here to start some new language! Slovene, modern Greek, Shona!
And I already have Cornish and Breton on my list (provided I ever learn Cymraeg to at least some degree of fluency).
But a language that has a special case for snakes and roads does seem fascinating…

3 Likes

Hello all. I just thought Id say hi and mention that Ive only recently found this site and think its fantastic! I’ve been trying to learn Croatian since I visited Dalmatia in 2008, I took a few courses in London and recently took a few lessons in Split when I was there for a holiday. Its my favourite language but I keep putting it on the backburner as the internet resources for Croatian are not up to scratch when compared with, say German or Spanish. What I love about it is that its been hard to learn and it has thus become a personal challenge, a long term language goal. Aside from the cases, while its not so hard to say Ja sam or I am, when you want to say that in the past it changes depending on if you’re male or female Jam sam bio/bila and if you drop the subject you need to invert the verbs bio/bila sam. Its little things like that that make a real challenge and also a joy when you finally get your head around certain things.

4 Likes

Hehe! Can I put you more chalenge on here!?

Learn Slovene with all things you’ve already mentioned + duality? What about that? And even dual thingys change with genter and time!

Jaz sem. - I am
Oni (dve) sta. - They (two) are for feminine (apeals for neutral too)
Ona (dva) sta. - They (two) are for masculine.
Oni so - They are. for masculine or mixed genters
One so. - They are for feminine
Ona so. - They are for neutral.

and then past
Jaz sem bil. - I was.
Oni (dve) sta bili. - We (two) were. for feminine (aplies for neutral too)
Ona (dva) sta bila. - for masculine.
Oni so bili - they were for masculine or mixed genders
One so bile - They were for feminine
Ona so bila - They were for neutral.

So, duality brings extra challenge …

Oh, and, of course as many Slovenians I speak Serbo-Croatian too. (pure Croatian is a bit different from Serbian and we were taught mixed version of both in ex Yugoslavia. :slight_smile:

So, despite is’t not Slovene - Chiers for learning Croatian!

Vrlo dobro i nadam se da nastaviš učiti. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow now that is tricky! I have a student out here who is half Slovenian and he speaks it so I’ll have to try and practice with him :smile:

Moram uciti Slovenski i hrvatski

Tačno! :slight_smile:

Slovene expression:

Moram se učiti slovenskko in hrvaško .

1 Like

Oni > O’n i’n - Nor so different from Cymraeg. :wink:

Mae hyny’n iawn! - You’re right! (Hope I’ve written this right).

I didn’t even think about this but it’s more then obvious. :slight_smile:

But you have to include “so bili” also, not just “oni”.

We could also say “Bili so.” already knowing those were “they” and that they “were” and leave “oni” out. As a matter in fact we usually leave specimen out of sentence anyway. I’ve written it only for demonstration. So you could say “Bili so doma.” - They were at home, and we would already know we talk about them …

1 Like

Они (Oni) is “they” in Russian too. I was very surpised when I found that we share the same paraphrase for possession:
Mae rhywbeth gyda fi - cymraeg
У меня есть что-то - (U menya est’) - literally “There’s something with me”

3 Likes

We will discover that Cymraeg is actually even not so far from Slavic languages.

I’ve read some words on your FB page the other day and found out that I understand prety much and that my knowledge of the scrypt only has to be renewed and not more. Happy for this really.

2 Likes

I have a very firm opinion that Celtic and Slavic people are soulmates:) There is an Irish folk song “A son in Amerikay” about a mother who writes a letter and writes “to me son in Americay” on the cover, so the poor postmen can’t find the guy. And this plot is almost identical to the plot of a very famous Anton Checkov’s short story about a boy who writes his grandfather a letter about how badly he’s treated in his master’s house and instead of the address write “to my Grandfather in the village”. I was very amazed when I discovered this! Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045ewuVWZhE

This is very impressive! I need to find out if I can understand Slovene as well!

3 Likes

You did earlier, remember? I’ve written two or three sentences about myself and you (almost) completely understood it. With Croatian it would not be different I believe.

I can understand the general gist of what you’re talking about but not the details… (on your fb page I mean)

The gist is OK. In time it can be more then that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll practise by reading your page:)

1 Like

I’ll try to practice yours.

Facebook can be a good learning tool.