"Slovenska beseda / Slovene word" and other things regarding learning Slovene

I’d like to get people aware of the photo album I’ve created on FB in desire to make people aware of my native language - Slovene - too. The album is called “Slovenska beseda / Slovene word” and until now contains 41 pictures related to the words I’m presenting. With each picture there is the explanation of the word presented on the picture and some of “side effects” - words which might come along with the “main” word. There is Englilsh translation to the word, its type, gender (if noun) and also all variations depending of the number - singular, dual, plural. At the end of explanation of each word there’s a little “story” behind the picture such as when and why thie particular picture was taken and (if it wasn’t me) who took it (who else apart from me it would be but my husband or son anyway …).

For now there are only pictures and written things but as it’s hard to read all those “č”, “š” and “ž” signs without hearing beforehand how they sound I plan to make a short vides of 10 words with audio presentation how they sound with which also all additional stuff with the particular word will be audio presented so you’d know how to pronunce and stress it correctly.

Along with description of formal words presented there are some colloquial words meaning the same and with some of them also some warnings to the fact that they can mean something unpleasant if not used correctly also.

My FB photo album is here but if you don’t have your FB acount it can very well happen that FB will restrict you from viewing the whole album despite it’s public. This is one more reason why I’ve decided to make a video too and publish it on YouTube so that everyone can truely get access to the content. However I’m sorry that the whole descriptions from FB will not be inclulded into the video as it would be too much of the content and with this the video might appear too long.

For now … enjoy the Slovene words and if you have some questions I’d be glad to answer them either here or directly with the picture of the word presented throught the comments (if you’re FB member of course).

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Maybe we should continue here.

Torej govoriš tudi slovensko? (So you speak Slovene too?)

1 Like

hmm… govorila sem ful dober ko sem bila mejhna, ampak potem sem nehala govoriti z mamo in sem velik zgubila… nisem se nikol naučila in zato moja slovenščina je tako napačna. ampak ja, znat slovensko “za res” je eden iz mojimih cilih…:slight_smile:
I used to be bilingual as a kid, but then I stopped talking Slovenian with my mum so now my speaking is really poor. Add to that the fact that I never studied it, so my written Slovenian is very messy (declensions…). Speaking/learning Slovenian properly has been on my wish list/guilt list for many many years now. It’s nice to get the chance to speak some with you!
Mae’n braf cael yr cyfle i siarad yn bach efo chdi. (!)

1 Like

No problem. I’m always willing to help lerarn/re-learn Slovene. I am from Slovenia and my native language is Slovene. If this above you’ve written on your own, then it’s quite good and can be improved.

Ni problema. Če želiš, lahko pomagam. Mogoče kakšen Skype pogovor za začetek? Tu sem … :slight_smile: (No problem. I can help if you wish. A little Skype talk for the beginning maybe? I’m here …)

Dw i’n hapus i gwrdd â ti yma.

1 Like

hvala za pomoč - ja ja napisala sem sama. a misliš da je boljše zame da govorim, ali da pišem najprej? se mi zdi da najpomejnše je da berem/pišem - ampak prosim povej mi kaj misliš.

thanks for your help - yes, I’m writing this on my own. do you think that it’s better for me to speak, or to practice writing first? I think that the most important is for me to read/write (any advice with this? I always stop reading after a while), but please give me your own advice.
(I’m translating this in English in case anyone wants to join in - that’s how it’s supposed to be done, right?)

dw i’n meddwyl bof i’n ofni i siarad ar y skype! ^^

Odlično ti gre! Pišeš čisto v redu. Mi Slovenci tako ne uporabljamo preveč naglasov v pisanju in, uporabljaš šumnike, kar je zelo dobro. Če se “bojiš” govoriti prek Skype, je najbolje, da pišeš in bereš, ampak morda je dobra vaja v govorjenju, če kaj naglas prebereš. Ker ti gre pisanje odlično, domnevam, da razumeš pravzaprav veliko, če ne vse, torej znaš že vsaj polovico vsega. Ampak pisanje pogovornega jezika ja malo čudno zame in bi bilo morda dobro tudi malo govoriti. Vsak Slovenec te bo razumel (saj se ne razlikuje toliko) pa vseeno.

Ja, prav je, da prevajaš v Angleščino, da se nama lahko kdo pridruži. Tudi jaz bom, tako je prav.

You’re doing great! You write very well. We Slovenes don’t use stress marks in writing too much and you use sibliants in the writing, what is very good. If you’re scared of speaking through the Skype, it’s the best for you to write and read but maybe it’s good exercise in speach if you read something aloud. Since you’re writing excellently I presume that you actually understand a lot if not everything so you can at least half of everything. However writing in colloquial speach appears a bit odd to me and it might be good to speak a bit too. Every Slovene would understand you (it is not that different ) but anyway.

It’s good that you’re translating all to Engliszh so that one can join us. I’ll be doingn this too, that’s how it should be.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

ja no a vidiš - “naglase” pa “šumnike” sem pa mogla googlat - moja slovenščina je velik bol koker da bi govorila ne pa pisala. ali poznaš neko spletno stran/knjigo kjer bi lahko “zabavno” ali pa “preprostno” se naučila gramatiko - pa tudi spletno stran/knjigo da bi lahko prebrala mejčken tekst vsak dan.
naprimer: nikol ne vem če je kam/kjer prov; katera iz med brati/čitati je bol stara beseda, če se piše jaz/jast
besede ki jih ne bi uporabljala sama: “domnevam”, “polovico”, “pogovornega”
se strinjam da pisanje pogovornega jezika je mogoče malo čudno - mislim da bi rada delala vaje za pisanje “literaturskega” jezika

yes you see - I had to google “naglase” and “šumnike” - my Slovenian is a lot more spoken than written. do you recommend a wesbite/book where I could study this (i.e grammar!) in a fun/easy way? or just read a short text every day?
for instance: I never know whether to use ‘kam’ or ‘kjer’, which of ‘brati’ or ‘čitati’ is the oldest verb, and whether it’s spelt ‘jaz’ or ‘jast’
some words I’d never have thought of: “domnevam”, “polovico”, “pogovornega”
I agree that writing oral speech is a bit weird maybe - what I’d like to do is improve my written Slovenian - by writing and reading surely?

diolch am chdi help!

1 Like

Am I the only person absolutely loving the fact that someone who came along to the forum to learn Welsh is now getting some extra Slovenian revision?!.. :slight_smile::star: :star2: :heart:

9 Likes

Nope. Here’s at lreast me too, but I’ll get back to @Efenj a bit later to answer her questions. Now I have - apart from learning Welsh - a new mission. Here’s (at least) one who needs to get back one of thir tongue. :slight_smile:

A, diolch o galon @aran.

3 Likes

No, zdaj pa lepo po vrsti. (Now one by one)

Tole bom morala mal pogledat. Nikol se nisem poglobila v to, kje bi se to dal naučit. Bom pobrskala in povprašala … Nisem pričakovala, da bi se v resnici kdo kdaj rad učil slovenščine (razen @brigitte seveda).

This I’ll have to look at a bit. I never took a deep search into where the language could be taught. I’ll search a bit and ask … I didn’t expect that someone would be interested into learning Slovene (apart from Brigitte of course).

“Kam” uporabiš, ko hočeš nekoga vprašat kam gre/bo šel, kam je nekdo nekaj dal in podobno - to je vprašalnica. “Kjer” je pripovedna beseda, ki pove lokacijo. Na primer: " Šli smo tja, kjer cvetijo rože." Ker znaš dobro angleško, veš, da je v angleščini za oba primera le ena beseda, med tem, ko imamo v Slovenščini dve.

You use “kam” when you want to ask someone where they are going, will go, where someone has put something and similar - this is a question word. “Kjer” is the narrative word which tells you the location. For example: “We went there where flowers bloom.” Since you can English very well, you know that in English for each of these examples you use only one word while in Slovene we have two.

Nisem sicer čisto prepričana, ampak mislim, da je “čitati” starejša beseda, kot “brati”. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure but I think that word “čitati” older word than “brati”. :slight_smile:

Velikokrat boš naletela na to, da ljudje pišejo besedo “jast” ali pa celo “jazt”, kar je popolnoma narobe. Pravilno je “jaz” in pogovorno (ampak praviloma samo ko govorimo in ne ko pišemo) lahko zaslediš besedo “jest”. Pogosto se zasledi tudi beseda “jas” ali “jes” kar je popolnoma napačno.

You will encounter many times that people write the word “jast” or even “jazt”, what is totally wrong. “Jaz” is correct and in colloquial (but by the rule just in the speach and not in written word) you can encounter the word “jest”. You can often see the word “jas” or “jes” what is totally wrong.

Je čudno, sploh za nas, ki smo navajeni pisati (vsaj delno) pravilno (kot ti praviš literarno) vendar se med mladimi to veliko uporablja. Sin mi je rekel, da ne znam pisat, ker sem pri pisanju sporočil njemu uporabljala vejice, pike, velike začetnice in kar precej pravilno slovenščino … :smile: Takšna je danes mladina. :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s strange, especially for us who are acustomed to write (at least partly) formal (as you say, formal) Slovene, but among youngsters colloquial Slovene is used in written language a lot. My son said to me once that I can’t write, because when writing messages to him I’ve used commas, full stops, capitals and quite formal Slovene. … :smile: That’s how youngsters are these days. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Malo sem raziskala stvari in moram reči, da Slovenci nismo ravno diamant v predstavljanju našega jezika na lahkoten in zabaven način. Še najboljše, kar sem našla je tole: http://www.101languages.net/slovenian/slovenian-vocabulary-lessons/ Malo sem pogledala zadevo in tam lahko najdeš vse od lekcij za povečanje besednega zaklada pa vse do informacij o Sloveniji, novice, slovenske radijske postaje. Prav gotovo se najde tam tudi kaj za prebrat. Na strani katere povezavo sem ti poslala, lahko preneseš 100 zvočnih datotek s pomočjo katerih se naučiš govoriti, nekaj slovničnih pravil, poslušati in bogatiš besedni zaklad.

Moja bivša učiteljica angleščine mi je priporočila tole: https://knjigarna.ff.uni-lj.si/si/kategorija/1302/ucbeniki-in-prirocniki-za-ucenje-slovenscine-kot-drugega-in-tujega-jezika/ ampak, če sem odkrita, tu ne najdem kakšne posebno zabavne ali lahkotne stvari. Mogoče pa vseeno kaj najdeš. Zgoraj imaš gumb, da preklopiš stran na angleški jezik. Kar mi je na tej strani padlo v oči pa je tole: Žepna Slovenščina skoz Angleščino ali pa Žepna Slovenščina skozi Francoščino. Seveda pa je ta ista Žepna Slovenščina na volljo tudi skozi druge jezike, kot so Nemščina, Italijanščina, Kitajščina, Ruščina, Litvanščina in mnogo drugih.

Nekaj ponuja tudi Simon Arger na svoji Omiglot strani in, seveda, kot sem lahko videla, se Slovenščine lahko učiš tudi prek Memrise, Quizlet, ipd. Edina pomanjkljivost na Quizletu je ta, da ponudi angleško namesto slovenske izgovarjave, kar prav gotovo ni v redu, saj se tisti, ki se uči, želi naučiti slovenske izgovarjave in ne angleške.

Upam, da sem s tem kaj pomagala in da se bo našlo kaj, kar iščeš. Kar se tiče kratkih besedil za branje, nisem še raziskala tega, bom pa v naslednjih dneh.

I did some research about this and I have to say that we - Slovenians aren’t qute a diamond in presenting our language fun or light way. The best I’ve found is this: http://www.101languages.net/slovenian/slovenian-vocabulary-lessons/. I’ve checked this a bit and you can find there everything from lessons for expanding vocabulary and all the way to information about Slovenia, news, Slovene radio stations. I’m sure there’s something to read. On the page I’ve sent you the link to, you can download 100 audio files with the help of which you can learn to speak, some gramar rules, to listen and to expand your vocabulary.

My ex English teacher recommended this: https://knjigarna.ff.uni-lj.si/si/kategorija/1302/ucbeniki-in-prirocniki-za-ucenje-slovenscine-kot-drugega-in-tujega-jezika/, but if I’m honest, I don’t find some special funny or light thing to learn. Maybe you find something there anyway. Up on the page you have the button to switch it to English language. What actually caught my attention on this page was this: Pocket Slovene through English or Pocket Slovene through French But this Pocket Slovene is available through other languages too of course, like German, Italian, Chinese, Russian, Lituanian and many more.

Simon Arger offers something on his Omiglot page, and of course, as I’ve seen, you can learn Slovene also through Memrise, Quizlet, etc. The only downside of Quizlet course is tghat it offers the recordings of pronunciation in English and not in Slovene so the one who learns can’t grasp the spoken language what is surely not good to go with as one who learns wants to learn how to speak Slovene and not English though.

I hope I could still be of any help and you’d be able to find something. About the texts to read, I’m not sure. I didn’t explore that part yet bu I will in future days.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I’ve promissed some recordings of Slovene words I’ve presented in my FB album, but first thing first so here’s the recording of Slovene alphabet and of the letters which are not included into it but we use them when writing saying foreign names or possible words. Hope it helps in any way.

The videos 10 by 10 presented words will follow in a time.

3 Likes

Are any of DZ, DŽ, LJ, NJ considered individual letters in Slovene?

1 Like

Yes, they’re all individual letters. So if you’d write Ljubljana for example you’ll use letters “L J U B L J A N A” and not “LJ U B LJ A N A”. As long as I know letter “DZ” doesn’t exist in the alphabet of the Yugoslav nations either but there exist DJ DŽ NJ LJ Đ Ć and I’m not quite sure if maybe ST exists aswell. I know ST exists in brailles script in all alphabets of ex Yugoslavia nations but I’m also not sure if it exists in Cirylic script though.

The Slovene alphabet with all included letters (included I mean those Slovene alphabet doresn’t have) too woudl be like this:
A B C Č Ć D Đ DJ E F G H I J K L LJ M N NJ O P Q R S Š T U V W Z X Y Ž

Oh, and one more note to the video above: Yellow letters are sibliants, red coloured are vowels and blue are the letters which are not included into Slovene Alphabet. There are no DZ DŽ DJ LJ NJ ST ŠT and what’s more of those because we write them separately in any case even when we write down names and names of places and similar things oriiginally consisting of those letters.

Our alphabet also doesn’t know anything about LL in any form and way of speach either. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

mae drwg gen i Tatjana, achos onni’n ddim cytunod i ti
beth ti di ffindio yn gwir!! diolch!
hvala da si mi vse to razlagala - “jaz” pa “kam” pa “kjer”, zdaj celo zelo dobro razumem!
bom pogledala vse tole in upam da mi bo pomagalo! ta prva spletna stran se mi zdi malo kot ssi kaj ne?
pa poznas ful stvari - Braille pa to! zelo interesantno!

sorry not to have replied earlier Tatjana!
thanks so much for what you found, it’s great!
thanks for explaining all that - “jaz”, “kam” and “kjer”. now I understand it very well
I will look at all the resources you recommended and I hope it will help! that first website seems to be a bit like ssi, doesn’t it?
and OMB you know lots of stuff - all this about Braille etc… it’s so interesting!

2 Likes

Odlično! To je bil namen, a ne? :slight_smile:

Perfect! That was the purpose, wasn’t it? :slight_smile:

Nekaj podobnega. Mislim, da si boš lahko pomagala. Če kaj ne veš ali ti ni jasno, vprašaj.

Something similar. I think you’d be able to help yourself with it. If you don’t know something or something isn’t clear to you, you just ask.

Hvala, trudim se, da vem čim več tudi zato, da drugim lahko pomagam.

Braillove pisave sem se naučila, ko sem bila majhna (kakih 6 ali 7 let) in sem kar 4 leta v šoli delala samo po tej metodi, šele v 4. razredu osnovne šole sem se naučila pisat in brat “normalne” črke.

Thank you. I’m doing my best to know as much as possible so I can help the others.

I’ve learnt Braille script when I was little (about 6 or 7 years old) and I’ve worked for 4 years through this medium. I’ve learnt to write and read “normal” script only in 4th grade of primary school.

2 Likes

hvala!! (merci - thanks - diolch - gracias)

waooooow zakaj pa to?
how come?

Ko sem se rodila, sem bila slepa, potem pa so mi zdravniki z operacijamo povrnili najprej čisto majhen del vida. Takrat še na obe očesi. Na enem sem videla 20 % (z očali seveda), na drugem pa 7 % in tako nisem mogla delati po “normalni” metodi. Tisti, ki so videli tako malo in slepi smo v šoli delali po braillove metodi. Torej, smo se, namesto, da bi se učili pisati, učili “tipkati” na braillov pisalni stroj. Do četrtega razreda se mi je vid toliko izboljšal, da sem se lahko naučila brati in pisati, še vedno pa sem uporabljala knjige s precej povečanim tiskom, zvezke s precej bolj debelimi črtami ipd. Trmasta, kot sem, sem prestala še nekaj operacij oči s katerimi se je vid na eno oko toliko izboljšal, da sedaj vidim 50 % (še vedno z očali seveda), drugo pa so mi žal morali uničiti, ker bi drugače postala popolnoma slepa. Z izboljšanjem vida sem vedno več brala povsem “normalne” stvari in se vpisala v popolnoma “normalno” srednjo šolo in kasneje pričela uporabljati tudi računalnik. Poleg braillove pisave smo se v šoli učili tudi slepega tipkanja na pisalni stroj in tako sem se kar zgodaj naučila obojega - tipkati na braillov in na navadni pisalni stroj. Seveda sem tudi brala po braillovi metodi in to kar precej hitro, danes pa sem iz vaje in tudi prstne konjice mi ne služijo več, da bi še hitro brala, čeprav seveda še znam.

Tako, to je zgodba o braillovi pisavi. :slight_smile:

When I was born, I was blind but after that the doctors restored a little of my sight with operations. At the time on both eyes. On one eye my sight was 20 % (with glasses of course) and on the other 7 % and that way I couldn’t work by “normal” method. Those of us who had such little amount of sight and those who were blind worked in school by brailles method. So, instead of we’d learn how to write, we’ve learnt how to “type” on brailles typewritter. Until 4th grade of primary school the sight was that much restored that I could learn how to read and to write but I still used with much bigger print, notebooks with much thicker lines in itetc. Stubborn as I am, I went through some more eye surgeries with which the sight on one eye restored that much that I now see 50 % (still with glasses of course) but the other eye unfortunately had to be “destroyed” in order not to become totally blind. With imrpoovement of my sight I’ve read more and more “normal” things and enterred totally normal middle school and later on I started to use computer aswell. Besides learning brailles script we’ve learnt how to type on normal typewritter aswell (without looking on the keyboard of course) and so I’ve quite early learnt both - typewriting on brailles and normal typewritter. I’ve read through brailles medium aswell and I’ve read quite fast, but today, however, I’m out of practice and my fingertips don’t suit me anymore to be able to read as fast as I once did, but I still can read of course.

So, this is the story about brailles script. :slight_smile:

I’ve deliberately written it in Slovene, too so that you can get a bit more feeling about the language.

A, diolch am chwestiynau.

2 Likes

waaaaaaow
hvala za zgodbo!!
ja pa valda hvala da si napisala po slovensk - sej jaz samo to verzijo čitam. res bol zanimivo koker pa da bi brala nekaj drudzga (ker nekega, ‘randomega’) po slovensk
res sem naodušana z vse ker si zmogala: lepa, pozitivna, močna zgodba
vesela sem da ti je moje vprašanje vredu/da te ne moti - saj to je zelo personalna zgodba!

waw
thanks for your story!
and thanks for writing this in Slovenian of course, as it’s the version I personally read - although in my replies I’m more comfortable answering in English (for now at least!)
this is so much more interesting than reading some random texts/news to practice my Slovenian! ^^
I’m really impressed by what you achieved: this is such a beautiful, positive, and powerful story!!!
I’m glad you enjoy /don’t mind my questions by the way, I realise your answer is putting something really personal out there.

Wyt ti isio gofin rhywbeth wrsaf fi? Dw i’n mynd i (drio i) ateb yn y Slofeneg

2 Likes

Ni za kaj.

Všeč mi je, da lahko tu napišem tudi kaj po slovensko, še posebej, ker vem, da je tu nekdo, ki ga zanima tako jezik, kot kakšna zgodba. Tudi nimam težav s takšnimi osebnimi vprašanji, saj to ni nič takega, česar ne bi mogla javno povedati. Vesela bom, če komu dam navdih, da se v trenutkih, ko mu ne gre najbolje, poskuša dvigniti nad vse in dati nekaj pozitivnega v morda sicer negativno dogajanje.

Rada kaj napišem po slovensko tudi zato, da tudi drugi dobijo občutek kakšen je ta naš jezik in koliko je lahek ali težak za učenje. Tisti, ki bodo vsaj nekaj poskušali prebrati in razumeti, so že v prednosti, če bo kdaj vendarle ugledal luč sveta tudi tečaj Say Something In Slovene. :slight_smile:

Prav, pa greva lepo od začetka: Morda sem spregledala, pa si to že kje napisala, pa vendar: V kateri državi živiš?

You’re welcome.

I like that I can write something on here in Slovene too, especially as I know here’s someone who is interested as in language as in some story to read. Also, I don’t have any problem with such personal questions as this is nothing what couldn’t be said publicly. I’ll be glad if I give inspiration to someone that in the moments when things don’t go the best way, try to lift themselves above all and give something positive into maybe generally negative happenings.

I like to write something in Slovene also that other people get the sense of what kind of language is our language how easy or hard it is to learn. Those who’d try to read at least something and maybe understand, are already in advantage if there once Say Something in Slovene might come out too. :slight_smile:

OK. Let’s go from the beginning then: Maybe I’ve misslooked somewhere and you’ve already written this but anyway: Where (in which country) do you live?

(or in Welsh: O ble ywt ti’n dod?) :slight_smile:

1 Like