So "chwech" can sometimes mean a number other than 6?!

I don’t know if anyone else has posted this. It made its way to my Facebook news feed today.

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Learning Welsh gives you such a boost that you walk faster! :grinning:

13 Likes

And to make matters worse, it should, of course, be “AN 8 minute walk”. :wink:

PS. “Lle chwech” is also a colloquial term for toilet as is “ty bach” but I believe there is no strict requirement for there to be exactly six orifices. :laughing:

6 Likes

I think they are accounting for the additional time needed by English-speakers, because it takes them more time to read the bilingual signs :wink:

9 Likes

from https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/gallery/18-signs-shocking-welsh-translations-6380985

6 Likes

Presumably Welsh speakers exit to the Left, whilst English speakers leave on the Right?

3 Likes

Welsh speakers know a secret shortcut :wink:

2 Likes

I’m relieved to hear it! I’d be concerned about a person with 6 orifices.

2 Likes

I’m relieved to hear it!

I see what you did there. :laughing::clap:
I hope we’ll eventually get to the bottom of this matter.

2 Likes

I’ve just done an inventory and I’ve got 6 (none of which involved any piercing :smile:)

1 Like

Really, I’m intrigued. According to Wikipedia I’ve got 9 or maybe 11 if you’re being pedantic. :thinking:

Or 12 if you’re me. :wink: (And I’m known for being pedantic) :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, the only reason I said 9 is that I’m not sure that two of them serve any purpose in a man and therefore whether there’s actually an orifice. I don’t know. I’m going with 11 for me and 12 for you. :thinking::grinning:

1 Like

I’ve always thought of them as something you could give medication via. This is a new one for me. Or these are.

1 Like

OK, I’ve got at least 6 :smiley:

2 Likes

Mae ‘Exit’ yn Lladin…

Ah! That’s why! :wink:

4 Likes

I knew we physicists would get in on the act
Human Body and Topology discussion :roll_eyes:

I hope @Baruch will forgive the massive digression from his original post. If not, I’ll move it. :smile:

2 Likes

I found that discussion fascinating. It’s amazing what we can learn by coming to this forum.
Sue

2 Likes

It’s favouritism. There’s a shortcut os ti’n cerdded that isn’t there if you only walk.

1 Like