So, this million speakers thing - what are we going to do about it?

Do you mean Oban, Argyll, just up the road (a terrible winding road) from me? Are you on holiday?

1 Like

Yes, Oban, Argyll - but we are in Keswick now

1 Like

Lovely area is Argyll, by the way!

Lots of interesting historic and pre-historic monuments too.
I can take no credit for anything, I just moved here for reasons of convenience in 2003-4! (Anf have been muttering about hiraeth ever since!)

1 Like

Any opportunities to learn Gaelic there? Judging by public signage etc. it appears that thereā€™s Gaelic spoken there

There are courses, I think. I admit that I arrived with the notion that I might learn, but soon realised that absolutely nobody around here speaks it. I believe Janetā€™s step-father spoke it, or at least a bit, but he came from one of the Islands and it does seem pretty much limited to those now. Our MSP is a strong supporter, He sympathises with the pressures Cymraeg is under and signed the petition I started for fair funding for S4C! There are Mods (like Eisteddfodau, but in Gaelic), but Iā€™m not sure how many or how well attended. All I know is that our friend Sheila who moved here from Dundee did some Gaelic classes there. (Not sure why, just interested, I guess.) Then, when she came here and saw bits and bobs about the language, she want to a class locally, only to find it was very, very different to what she had learned on the east coast! Any differences between gogledd and de Cymraeg would, I gather, pale into insignificance by comparison!

1 Like

Sam84
Yes, or how about somebodyā€™s sitting room? Or a pub?

2 Likes

Hi Ian (Iā€™m guessing from the forum name that you are Ian from Wrecsam?), just a quick question off topic, do you go to, or are aware of, the chat sessions in Y Saith in town on a Monday night?

2 Likes

I have been given the go ahead to run a stand in the foyer of Llandough hospital. This will be to promote SSIW. Itā€™ll be on a Wednesday (because I donā€™t work a Wednesday). Would anyone in the Cardiff area be willing to keep me company?

My plan is to have laptops with headphones so that people can listen to snippets of the lessons. See the layout of the forum etc.

Any other ideas?

6 Likes

Wow, brilliant! Da iawn ti! :slight_smile: :star:

1 Like

Business cards or flyers - something people can stuff in their bag and find in a couple of weeks to jog their memory.

Stick the apps on a couple of old tablets/phones as well as the laptops.

Is this going to be a regular thing, or a one off?

2 Likes

@aran posted a video of a guy using the ssiw method with a group of his students in a class. Maybe you could try that - get a mass group of people around the stand all saying ā€œdwiā€™n siarad cymraegā€ togetherā€¦

2 Likes

What about a copy of the map showing where SSiW users live?

1 Like

Da iawn Anthony. Business cards? They do exist for SSIW. And someone came up with one of those square squiggly bar codey things that apparently links straight to the SSIW home page. There is bound to be a Welsh Language officer for Cardiff and Vale Health Board. Are they coming? Local SSIW groups, or other slightly structured speaking opportunities for the terrified. Pob Lwc gyda phopeth. Good luck with everything.

2 Likes

Let me know which Wednesday. I canā€™t promise, but I would love to be there!

3 Likes

This would be wonderful! I can work around you. We could look at October? That will give me more time to get business cards and flyers as @jamesmahoney suggested (also, this is initially a one off but thereā€™s no reason it has to stay that way, see this as a trial). It also gives me time to get a reply from the Welsh language officer as @margaretnock suggested.

If I can get a group of people who are willing to be filmed. Iā€™m also doing a talk to my team on the Welsh language at the end of next week so they might be keen.

1 Like

OK, looking at October - I canā€™t do the 11th, but other Wednesdays should be fine. The ones after the 11th would be best for me. I have the original design of the standard SSiW business card on file somewhere. Iā€™ll hunt that out and send it to you.

1 Like

That works well for me, the earlier Wednesdays sit either side of a
my working weekend. How about the 18th? Thatā€™s after Iā€™ve visited a friend in Llandeilo so Iā€™ll be on a Welsh high :smile:

That would be perfect. Iā€™ll get some printed out then :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ll confirm with the catering manager tomorrow (sheā€™s the organiser of the stands).

1 Like

What a brilliant idea @AnthonyCusack. Very inspirational.

2 Likes