*Sold out* Bwtcamp 23-30 June 2018!

It’s a ford focus.

Hi everyone,

Jack here, the last one to sign up for the june bwtcamp. I’m a recent arrival in Wales and on the 6 month SSIW course, so definitely a beginner.

I will have my truck with me, it’s old but can get around. I am travelling from Bridgend area, if anyone needs a lift. I am not sure about departure times on the 30th but I think i’ll have to head off by midday. Does anyone know what time we should be finished by?

I’ve just read @sarahayes you’re in Cardiff, i’m in Pyle, if you did need transport let me know.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

1 Like

We usually finish up by 10am on Saturday morning, which gives time for everyone to then join in the Clonc-edigion meetup, which will be in The Ship in Tresaith and starts around 11. People are often rather reluctant to leave their Welsh world behind after the whole week, so it’s a good chance to extend it that little bit … unless you’re heading back to Cardiff to immerse yourself in Tafwyl, of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok perfect. I have to be in Stonehenge in the late afternoon. I absolutely know i won’t want to leave at all, but i will be headed to meet some welsh speakers, so hopefully the transition won’t be too harsh.

Diolch Dee

1 Like

Thanks for the offer of a lift jackolusgallowaymcta but I’ll be travelling with Paul and Phil, who are coming along the M4 from over the bridge. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

2 Likes

Apologies for the late log in. I wasn’t sure until today that I’d be able to come.

I’m Tudor. I live in London but am from Aberdare originally - I came to university in London 48 years ago and stayed. My father was a first language Welsh speaker but my mother didn’t speak Welsh so I grew up in an English speaking home.
I first began trying to learn Welsh almost two years ago and have had a few false starts since then. I retire next month and it’s my main retirement project.
I enjoy modern and traditional Welsh music eg Elin Fflur, Gwawr Edwards, Rhys Meirion, Dafydd Iwan, and particularly gymanfaeodd (Sp?) ganu. I’m not a singer but love joining in. I wonder if a visit to a local Welsh chapel could be included in the Sunday programme? Although sadly declining now, chapels have played a very important role in Welsh culture.
I look forward to meeting everyone and will bring extra supplies of dried peas - I’m going to need them!

6 Likes

It’s the enthusiasm that counts Tudor. It was wonderful to hear you sing.

Anyway, I have three bags, one huge one and two smaller ones of stuff that was left in the Canolfan that Iestyn asked me to bring to Cardiff.
If they are yours, please get in touch with me to arrange there return to you.

1 Like

It was lovely to meet some of you today (I think @PhilgJones, @Tall_Paul and @sarahayes - hope I’ve got that right!) Thanks for the impromptu musical entertainment and I hope you got safely back to Bristol and Cardiff. Sara, good luck with your knitting project, and all of you, including the bootcampers I didn’t meet - enjoy your Welsh!

4 Likes

It sounds from this and @Deborah-SSi’s dispatches from the frontline when she dragged herself from the hotspots of the Tresaith beach of action, that it has gone well and been the most laidback battlefield training in the history of bwtcamps to date! I am so glad if/that all you busy high achievers have had to give in to letharg… Although it may be sad that the “programme” & all effort that went into preparing it, succumbed to heat”stroke”, it sounds as if you’ve had a memorable time, and your fluency levelswill be top notch! Sheer effort of speaking means that like athletes training at altitude when you are all back in your normal climes, I guess, there’ll be no stopping you! Happy Recovery!

Thanks Gareth, I was the numpty who left the bags. I’ll text you later in the day when I know my whereasbouts.

Well that was a fantastic bwtcamp.
Big thank yous to everyone; to fellow bootcampers, especially for being patient with my faltering Welsh; to the kids for their help and being better than us at the dim saesneg rule; to Iestyn, Cat and Dee for all the help and the hard work behind the scenes and running of the bootcamp.

8 Likes

Thanks Isata, it was lovely meeting you and Helen and hearing about your experiences. I was very impressed. And what a wonderful setting to learn Welsh in. If you think @Tall_Paul was entertaining you should hear him read Sali Mali. We couldn’t wait to hear the ending.

3 Likes