Speaking Practice- Must try harder!

Hi all, I’m 2 weeks away from completing level 2 of the 6 month north Wales course, and have thoroughly enjoyed it, which is half the battle.

My main issue and one I completely hold my hands up to, is that I haven’t done anywhere near enough speaking practice, so feel woefully behind the curve at the moment.

I haven’t engaged as much with the extra-curricular items such as having the conversations with others, so I need to make this a priority.

I am Welsh, love the language but having left when I was 3, never really had a chance to learn it, hence my decision this year to roll the sleeves up and get stuck in.

I have downloaded Amikumu, and plan to go to the Milton Keynes or Oxford meet ups once a month.

My current plan is to restart from the beginning of Level 2 and engage properly with the practices. With only 2 weeks left to go, should I continue as I am and catch up on the “extra-curriculars” or should I reset to the beginning of Level 2 and do the activities at the same time?

It is an amazing course, I have already learnt so much and am excited about being able to converse in Welsh every time I visit, but I need to get over this hurdle of non-speaking practice. Part of it I know is confidence, it’s always the start that’s the hardest, feeling that you are somehow making a fool of yourself if it’s not right, although I know just how welcoming and supportive everybody is on this forum.

So what’'s the best way forward?

Diolch yn fawr iawn pawb.

1 Like

One way to get more speaking practise in is to join the Welsh Speaking Practice (WSP) group on Slack - you can have one-to-one chats or join group hangouts and there are people of all levels from all over the world all happy to chat, and don’t worry - EVERYBODY has gone through the lack-of-confidence-what-if-make-a-fool-of-myself stage! :wink:
To join, just send an email to admin@saysomethingin.com with WSP in the title and they’ll invite you to the group.

As for your question about the course, I’ll leave that to someone who knows better than me, as I haven’t actually done the course myself, but whatever you decide to do - congratulations on what you’ve done so far! :slight_smile:

Hi @dylan-jones,
If you can get to Oxford, that will be great. The number of people who turn up can vary greatly. It might be a good idea to look at

just to check that people will be there. If you say that you are coming then we will look out for you.
I can’t comment on the 6 month course, because I did the levels before the structured courses started. We just worked through the levels without the extra tasks. Joining the Oxford group has made all the difference to me. It’s great. We are at all levels, some are north, some south. I hope to see you.
Sue

Hi Dylan-Jones
Not sure if you will see this so long after your post…but you would be very welcome at the MK group too. We are rather a small group at the moment but very friendly. We are a mixture of bilingual Welsh/English speakers and learners and we meet in the Old Swan in Woughton on the green on the first Thursday of every month, 6-7.30. We don’t do anything very structured, we just talk in Welsh - at whatever level. (And usually at least a couple of us eat there too; the food is not bad at all) So me of us are retired and travel quite a lot so sometimes there are just three of us, which would give you a good chance to practice. Why don’t you come to the next meeting if you can?
Let me know if you want further information: very much hope to meet you and good luck!

I just finished level 2 and I’m in the same position. There’s a learners group once a month where I live I’ve been to one but I need to practice more and might not make next month. I’m going to go over the last few challenges and also aim to do at least one practice a week on Slack if people are free when I am.

I am just tagging @dylan-jones so that he sees @anncarolynjones’s message.
Should you wish to join WSP on Slack, Dylan, and would like an introductory chat to get started, I know only too well what it’s like taking those first initial steps and am always happy to help other beginners (indeed, a lot of the time I don’t feel much beyond a beginner myself, compared to others) - so get in touch if that’s any help.
That goes for you also @jen, if it’s of any help to get started.

Thanks I’ve had a few chats but not often.

Diolch Ann! I have had the MK meet in my calendar for about 4 months but not made it, I will do my very best to get there in March.

Thank you for getting in touch!

Diolch Alan, yes I will join up, I also want to sign up to the postcards too, so I get practice with writing too.

Hello Dylan
I have just sent my rather late reminder about our next cylch siarad 6-7.30 this coming Thursday. If you can make it it would be great to meet you. No idea how many can come this time - but we are a smallish group. Not sure how far away you are - but if you don’t know it you should be able to get there via the post code. Newport Rd, Woughton on the Green, Milton Keynes MK6 3BS

with best wishes
Ann

Hi Ann! I have it in my calendar as I am very keen to meet up with more speakers, spurred on after going to the London Welsh Male Voice Choir on Friday eve!

I may be delayed leaving work (in Luton), but will let you know during the day if that’s likely. Otherwise, look forward to meeting you all.

Hi Ann, unfortunately I’m still at work so wont be able to make it, but I still plan on coming next month.

Hope you all have a good evening!

Dylan