Speaking Practice (summary + first WSP/Slack hangout!)

My problem with shops is that I don’t normally say anything much during transactions in English, so I don’t find I get any practice when buying things in Welsh, other than saying “Diolch”.

On one of my trips to Cardiff, I found the Welsh bookshop in Pontcanna and bought a book about Hedd Wyn. I contemplated saying something about having just visited the newly restored cottage, but then realised that if I was buying an English book in English, I wouldn’t say anything, so it seemed unnatural to try to start a conversation in Welsh.

Is this just me being my usual introvert self? Would an extrovert have made conversation about the book?

1 Like

It was so funny. I went to the chip shop on the Maes proudly asked for ‘Gai chips mawr os gwe… yn dda’. Such a simple question and I didn’t understand what he said next. I laughed though and he helped me out and asked if I was a learner. So we did continue in Welsh. I just need to buy chips more often. Get the practice in. :grin:

4 Likes

That’s the spirit! If you can laugh at any mistakes or misunderstandings rather than deciding you’ll never ever try speaking Welsh again, you’re 90% of the way there. It took me years, and a bootcamp, to get to that stage… And the decision to buy chips more often is inspired.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve ever made conversation about a book I’m buying, with anyone, ever… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sue[quote=“Rohini, post:22, topic:13306”]
I didn’t understand what he said next.
[/quote]

I bought fish and chips on the Maes and the man asked me a question. I think he was asking if I wanted curry sauce or mushy peas or a variety of other delights, but I panicked a bit, just said “dim diolch” and handed over the money. I should have been braver like you, but at least I got my fish and chips.

3 Likes

I suspect that having a not-so-widespread language as mother tongue is an advantage in this case.

I’ve practised embarrassing myself into the wild since I was 16, when I succeeded convincing my parents to let me go to Great Britain (and of course paying for most of the expenses)…

Nobody in the family where I stayed or anywhere in town spoke any Italian so I had no other choice than trying to speak and understand English somehow!

In Wales everybody (or almost, I guess) speaks English anyway, makes it easy to get lazy or shy I’m sure I would too.

1 Like