Speaking Welsh in Jiu-Jitsu class

I had an interesting time this evening, practicing some of my Welsh with some of the speakers at my Jiu-Jitsu class in Cardiff. I knew a few of them spoke Welsh, but it’s the first time that I’ve really attempted to have a conversation.

I’ve been planning on joining a hangout or going to a meetup since I started the 6 minutes a day course in March, but I haven’t found the confidence yet. Hopefully this will give me some encouragement.

5 Likes

That’s one of the things about Cardiff. There are Welsh speakers everywhere, if you pluck up the courage to speak to them. Da iawn ti!

Well done and we hope to see you online or at a meetup very soon. I’ll be in Cardiff again next week and holding another meetup. If your jiu-jitsu class is Wednesday evenings, then I’ll make the meetup another night so you can come along. Any preference? No pressure :wink:

2 Likes

As a first experience, Q&A in English is a good way to start the Jitsi meet or Google Hangout aspect of the 6/6 Slack workspace, Oliver.

(If I lived in Cardiff I’d take up Deborah’s offer to meet like a shot - SSiW tutors and longstanding students make speaking what Welsh you have so easy & fun!)

Also on the Workspace is the opportunity to do some direct calling, and you could start to speak to fellow students, those at your level (or higher), in English first, just introducing the occasional Welsh phrase. It is all just a matter of building confidence! Pob lwc!

P.S. Llongyfarchiadau! on starting to speak with people from Jiu-Jitsu class! Da iawn ti!

Was it decided which evening the meetup is going to be? I’d like to see if I can make it.

I haven’t chosen an evening yet. I’m in Cardiff now, and I have plans for tomorrow night, but I can make the meetup Weds or Thurs evening. Which would suit you better?

Thursday is better for me this week, this Wednesday evening I’m on-call for work.

Ok, let’s make it Thursday evening. Is Chapter OK for you? It’s a bit noisy so I’m open to other suggestions, but otherwise I’ll be there from 6pm.

Chapter is fine for me. I’m coming from Newport so I might not be there by 6, but I’ll get there as early as I can.

I’ll be there for quite a while, so don’t worry. Just turn up when you can. I’ll try to grab one of the bigger tables in the centre of the eating area if I can, but we’ll just have to take what we can get.

1 Like

I was really looking forward to attending this evening, but the weather is horrendous so I’m going to give it a miss. Sorry!

I’ll try and join a hangout tomorrow instead.

1 Like

Yes, it’s pretty bad, but luckily a lot better at the moment. I’ve come to have dinner anyway. Hopefully I’ll organise something next month and you’ll be able to make it.

I’ll definitely look out for another one in Cardiff. My 8 year old son was quite keen to come along too, he’s been doing some of the challenges in the car. Maybe I’ll take him to the one on a Saturday morning in Newport next month.

1 Like