Struggling to keep up the momentum

I had my first speaking practice (diolch yn fawr eto Bronwen!) and whilst I struggled a bit and was a bit nervous - blank mind episodes included - it helped as I was able to make myself understood a bit. It builds a little more confidence to try again and seek out other options. The message I get from the challenges is that it pays to keep up the momentum as bits will sink in. In this respect it feels a little like it did with an OU course I undertook several years ago now - some weeks I felt I was on top of it, other weeks I felt I wasn’t - but I knew that whilst it felt a bit relentless I needed to keep going. To help me ‘revise’ / reflect back I am building a reference by printing out the vocabulary list for every challenge. Soundcloud - I couldn’t get on with it on my iPhone and iMac … Probably me - but if it takes a lot of faffing about I get turned off - and so does the tech!

2 Likes

By the time you’re into Level 2, it gets harder and harder to assess accurately how much you’re progressing - the common experience is that it comes in fits and starts, and it’s not until you have a bit of a jump forward that you actually notice.

But ALL the work you’re doing here is giving your brain the exposure it needs - so as long as you understand the importance of process (rather than sometimes inaccurate measurement of results) you most certainly can feel proud of yourself every time you manage to fit in some of the challenges and listening exercises… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be kind to yourself, Jen - a busy life is a hard gig, and most of us are seeing things just get busier and busier these days - managing to do any learning in that kind of context is a hell of an achievement, so Well Done You! :star: :star2:

3 Likes

Thank you!!! I’ll get this sorted then

1 Like

Meant to reply to you, rather than generally to the thread. Thank you! I will get this sorted and crack on

2 Likes

Now I’ve had my third “is everything ok?” Email from Aran and to come to th Forum if it isn’t. I don’t know where to go on the Forum. I did release the pause button then got a challenge that asked me to listen and record something else as well as learning some more but I didn’t tick it off because I got muddled. Then two further challenges arrived but I feel completely out of my depth, have no Welsh speakers around, and fell it would make sense to drop out of the course. I nearly finished level 1 and enjoyed lots of it.

Anywhere on the forum is the right place if you’re struggling, there’ll always be someone to help you, including on the tech side of things.
Please remember that none of your Welsh learning journey is a solo one, that lots of others have trodden or are treading the same path, so all you have to do is yell, and we’re right here for you. Also, not everyone walks that path at the same speed, so if something is not clear or tripping you up, that’s ok - it can be sorted with some help and encouragement.

Before you decide to drop out of the course completely, take a deep breath and consider how far you’ve come already - and it’s a long way!
Please do consider joining the Welsh Speaking Practise group on Slack - there are plenty of Welsh speakers and learners in the group and at all levels. And if the tech side of things is daunting, again, there are always people around to help you with it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Please don’t give up @polly-pearshouse, at least not without trying a little speaking practice first. I too found some of it daunting at first until I had my first couple of conversations, and, though still a slow learner going at my own pace, I like helping other beginners because I know exactly how you feel.

Very happy to have a chat with you on Skype if you’re on it, or the Welsh Speaking Practice site - you can join this by simply sending an email to admin@saysomethingin.com with WSP in the title and they’ll invite you to the group.

Looking back at this thread, the same applies to anyone else still struggling and/or who may not have yet had a conversation? @rhiannon-thomas @david-thomas-1 ?
I know a couple of others have already joined Slack.

4 Likes

I’d like to put the course on hold for a couple of weeks as it’s been hectic for me…how do I do this?

1 Like

drop an email to admin@saysomethingin.com and they’ll sort it for you Steph.

1 Like

Thank you @siaronjames very much for your support- I am trying to think about it, I’m sure I’ve forgotten so much but maybe I’ll try

Thank you @AlanP for your support. I feel I’ve forgotten so much but I’m thinking about trying. I listened to my 5 minutes and wasn’t sure what I was saying at first. I might have another go.

1 Like