Submitting the petition, update!

It could also mean that you are underestimating your own success Jackie! The petition has left the SSiW launchpad and is circulating out there in the WWW universe. Maybe that’s what caused the jump. It made contact with someone in a different circle and surged in a different direction. I find it quite fascinating!

A couple of reminders in the newsletter wouldn’t go amiss though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr!! Up to 860 nawr!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi Up to 868!!
Pawb: If it is you who has spread news of the petition far and wide, DIOLCH!!!

1 Like

Nobody signed for days after 870 and today it is 871 thinks to a lady from Lithuania!! Is she on SSiW? If you are reading this, croeso a diolch!!!

1 Like

Hmm, I had AirBnB guests recently who were originally from Lithuania … I wonder …

2 Likes

To ALL INTERESTED IN S4C inc @aran
The following is from the Welsh Affairs Select Committee Report published for release June 16th 2016:

As the only Welsh language television channel in the world, S4C is a bastion of Welsh language life and culture. We are concerned, however, that cuts to its funding have already impacted the channel’s output, and that additional cuts will have a serious effect on quality. As the Welsh independent production companies rely on commissions from S4C, there are implications for that sector’s contribution to the economy, as well as the opportunity to hear the Welsh language on TV. We therefore welcome the Government’s decision to cancel this year’s grant cut, and undertake a review of the channel, to assess its remit and scope, and the level of funding required. However, a prolonged period of financial uncertainly is neither a healthy nor a suitable way for any broadcaster to conduct long-term editorial planning decisions and fulfil their public service remits. It is regrettable that this has been the case with regards to S4C, and we recommend that the channel be the subject of an independent review as a matter of urgency, and that it is reviewed in future on a regular basis to counter the risk of further financial uncertainty and ensure it is fulfilling its public service remit.

I don’t think we could have hope for better!! I seem to be on the list for info. as I got this report while it was still under embargo and I couldn’t quote it, so I’ll see what happens now and keep you posted. @aran Is this the best thread for that?

3 Likes

A positive step in the right direction.

1 Like

Yesterday, I sent my favourite MP the following:

Sorry to trouble you, but I am slowly working my way through your Committee’s Report on Broadcasting and I came across the fact that, for S4C, “The Authority’s Chair and members are appointed by the Culture Secretary.”
I said it seemed to me that he was unlikely to know anything about Welsh culture!
Kind LizSR replied:
Many thanks, Jacqueline. I share your concerns as regards governance. This is because broadcasting is not devolved, although Plaid has and will continue to push for this to be resolved. This is important not only for Welsh-speakers and also non-Welsh speakers living in Wales.

It is good to know her Committee are keeping an eye on the Culture Committee!
p.s. I do hope your health is improving and you will soon be perfectly better!! :sunny:

1 Like

Update 14/09/2016
Diolch @Deborah-SSi for newsletter mention and diolch yn fawr iawn to all those who have already responded by bringing the total up to 908!!
I am letting the petition sit and collect signatures because Broadcasting in UK is a matter reserved to the say-so of the Westminster Government and the current one is not showing much sign of liking to support Public Service Broadcasting pf any kind.
The BBC are being cash-limited and expected to part-fund S4C out of licence fees. Folk are asked to pay licence fees to watch on line, but there is no way I can see that the Government can tell whether we watch on line and have a licence or haven’t one, so the chances of them collecting any more from this law change seem minimal.
Meanwhile, BBC are not to compete by showing popular programs at prime time!! It is commerce who should have to compete with the excellence of BBC not the other way around, and all tis goes for S4C as well - save that S4C is expected to be commercial and have adverts, but clearly has an audience limited by the number of Welsh speakers!
So - more signatures, more evidence of world-wide interest!!
Maybe we can shame the Tories into supporting S4C???

2 Likes

Addition:-

1. We are up to 910! Diolch yn fawr!
  2. Here in Scotland, moves have been afoot to make the 6pm news Scottish. That is, to take out all the stuff about Grammar Schools in England, Doctors’ Strikes ditto…and everything else totally irrelevant to Scotland, putting such things into a little snip of a moment or two of English-doings or not-doings! It seems the new BBC Charter implies that the BBC must represent the UK, and this is being taken to be a political directive to avoid mention of Independence. I don’t think they’ll get away with that, but it makes me worry lest the Westminster Tories start messing with what is seen in Wales, including S4C.
1 Like

Yet more…912 and counting! Diolch pawb,

And…letter from Secretary of State for Culture to Welsh Affairs Committee assures all that the Government (that’s Westminster) really cares about Welsh Language Broadcasting and promises to take the recommendations in the W.A.Committee Report into consideration, pointing to things which suggest they have already started this. Money, of course, is not really mentioned. Basically, “Wait for 2017!”
Will keep posting developments here.
@Deborah-SSi not sure this is worth newsletter mention, although 912 may be!
To @Deborah-SSi a Phawb: edit 08/10 - 915 nawr! (neu rwan yn y gogledd)!!
ac ar ol un mwy dydd - @Deborah-SSi, @aran and any on else interested, having got yesterday’s date wrong, now on 09/10 - we are up to 916!
Thanks to two Pauls, one near Bristol and one in Beverley Hills!! (Is that fame?)

2 Likes

More! Well. one more! Terrence from Telford makes it 917!!

1 Like

Another two!! Craig and Darren from Manceinion (Manchester). Diolch!! 919!!
Edit - @Deborah-SSi Up to 921!! Daniel ( @dannywithington) from Wigan and an anonymous American! (actually @ryanshelton).
Thank you both! Diolch yn fawr. Not sure how long you have been learning with SSiW, but everyone on the Forum is very helpful and welcoming!
Edit:- @Deborah-SSi Michelle (@michellefecio) from New York State takes us to 922! Diolch Michelle!

2 Likes

OK, now it’s 923!! Diolch yn fawr Paul from Whitchurch, Shropshire! @Deborah-SSi - we continue to creep upwards!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi - Thanks for n/l mention! Now 924!! - diolch Alice in London!

@Deborah-SSi
Wow! The wonder of the n/l!! It has shot up to 935 and I cannot thank all - some were anonymous, but I do thank all! Would you put that in the next n/l?

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi Up to 937! Diolch to Anon from Sherman Oaks, CA, USA and, more exciting, Anastasia from Tomsk, Russia! We only seem to have 4 on the map in Russia and none are in Tomsk!

2 Likes

I’ve always fancied wombling free in Tomsk. To think perhaps I could go there and speak Welsh!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

938 last one anon! Diolch if it is you!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi, @aran, @Iestyn - Pawb - 956!! Suddenly, overnight!!! I cannot remember all the names or where they are all from, but if you, reading this, are one of them : “Diolch yn fawr iawn!
Only 46 more to 1,000!! @Deborah-SSi I think this is worth a ‘Diolch’ in the n/l, no?