Submitting the petition, update!

Reached 1050 heddiw!! @Deborah-SSi

2 Likes

I have a Canadian friend who lives there, there are actually two big cities next to them on both the Canada and USA side, people often don’t realise the falls straddle the border.

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr - to all the organisers of groups in all the places I sent messages to!!
We have gone up to 1071 since yesterday!!
Look @Deborah-SSi - I think the n/l is also owed thanks for this!!
I have found another Island dweller, on Tiree!! Much further away than Islay, and smaller! Even if I was fit and well, I don’t think an ‘Argyll and the Isles Group’ would be practical!! Shame!!

@Deborah-SSi, @aran etc. Firstly 1078 at last look!
Secondly, if anyone else watched today’s PMQs from Westminster, they will have heard a Tory MP from Wales ask about S4C’s funding and be assured by the Leader of the House, standing in for T.May, that the funding has been agreed and is totally safe for 5 years!!
This was news to me. I have e-mailed Liz Saville Roberts to ask her opinion as in her I trust! I do not aim to wind up the petition yet! I want to thank all who have so far signed and tell then not to give up asking others yet!!
Watch this space!

5 Likes

Do you have a post where the petition is explained and linked to, @henddraig?

If so, I could make it a globally pinned post (so everyone would see it until they unpinned it) and then you wouldn’t have to contact new users on a personal basis… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think, @aran, it would be best to wait a day or some! It is just possible that S4C really does have enough money, as claimed by the Toryr Leader of the House standing in for T May on Wednesday. I am, after all, a cynical old dragon with a long memory of Tory promises!
I have e-mailed the one MP I trust, who is calm, trustworthy and on a relevant select committee. If she tells me all is well, I’ll happily ‘park’ the petition for now. If I am right about the fudge being perpetrated, I will set up an up-to-date thread. You could look at that, either pin it or tell me what you don’t like and we’ll negotiate!

1 Like

To @Deborah-SSi and all
1092!!!
Diolch!!!
To all who responded to my recent pleas and all who will in the next few days!!

2 Likes

This is great reading. Your enthusiasm and joy is quite contagious :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, diolch! Now, @Deborah-SSi, we have reached 1098!

Diolch those from USA, Australia and various parts of England who added their signatures! I am still trying to find out if anyone I trust feels that S4C finance really will be sufficient for the next 5 years as claimed. Only if I am sure will I wind up the petition. And even then, I strongly suspect that a new one will be needed in 2021!!!

Oh, @Deborah-SSi, I am not sure if you can ask anyone in Wales with an approachable, helpful MP, to ask said MP what he or she thinks of the current state of play? i.e. Did the promise mentioned by the Leader of the House to maintain the present License Fee share for 5 years really cover S4C’s needs? I had a feeling there is at least a £7 million gap!

2 Likes

Look @Deborah-SSi - MILESTONE!!! 1100!!!
Diolch, anon in Shropshire!!!

Hi I just signed this morning. Nice job and diolch!

Diolch ti! I think you are 1102! Look @Deborah-SSi

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr @vickiefreemanbabcock from Oklahoma, USA and to Damon from Worcester, @Deborah-SSi, we are at 1104!! Thanks for n/l mention. I am still hoping someone in Wales with a nice kind MP will ask him or her how the S4C finances are looking now!

2 Likes

Anghygoel! 1109!!! Diolch - London, Dublin, 2 from Texas and one from Bermuda!!! Wow!!

I finally managed to hear the question and answer, Welsh Affairs Select Committee, Mark Williams MP,Ceredigion, to Gito Bebb on S4C finance. Discussion of Government contribution to funding put off to ‘by the end of 2017’. Therefore current funding will apply until then. “If there is further delay, will the level continue until the discussion finally reaches a conclusion and will the Secretaries of State argue for current funding, at least to be maintained?” Much smiling, nodding and jocular,“I think I can speak for us both…” But I don’t think either actually said “yes”!!!
So, @Deborah-SSi, the petition continues to run! I haven’t had a reply from Liz SR, but I don’t trust the current UK Government. If anyone in Ceredigion would like to e-mail your MP and ask how safe he thinks S4C’s finance is, please do!

1 Like

See, @Deborah-SSi Up to 1113. Diolch to Nicolas in Notts and Eiryl in Staffs!!!

Diolch to the Medic or PhD holder from Brighton who is 1114!
Nadolig Llawen @Deborah-SSi

Gwyl San Steffan: Diolch 4 o USA, un o Awstralia ac un o India!!! I think that is the first! And all those take us to 1120, @Deborah-SSi! Blwyddyn Newydd Dda pawb!

Oh how happy I am!! Diolch - to three from England, one who is half Welsh, left a lovely comment about the quality of S4C’s broadcasts. Two from USA, one of those with a wonderful comment, and, by no means least, a lady from ISRAEL learning Cymraeg left a lovely comment too! If you are on the Forum, Ahava, diolch yn fawr!!
Number now is 1125! @Deborah-SSi, @aran

2 Likes

Wow! Still going up!

Are you keeping a spreadsheet, as far as possible, of the different countries? That would be interesting to make into a graph for the politicians and for S4C to help with their statistics.

2 Likes