Suffix 'ish'

Is there an equivalent in Welsh to the English suffix ‘ish’ to indicate approximation?

Colloquially, and very informally, it’s ‘ish’.

1 Like

I think the word “lled" can be used. I means “rather or somewhat”. So lled annibynnol is “semi-independent”.

Its not an exact like for like.

Thanks for the info @robbruce and @AnthonyCusack. I just bought Gareth King’s book ‘Modern Welsh’, and looking through the section on adjectives derived from nouns and verbs and what caught my eye was ‘- aidd’. The equivalent of English ‘ish’. So, oeraidd/coldish, plentynaidd/childish, gwastadaidd, etc. So three alternative methods to choose from. :grinning:

4 Likes

I think you might occasionally hear oer-ish on the street, but the chances of encountering plentyn-ish are nil. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

-aidd is the closest to it - often works in that way… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good man - thank you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Brilliant tome @garethrking. How you’ve decided/remembered to include all the little phrases etc in there is beyond my ken. Clear and succinct. Terrific. Thank you too.

3 Likes

While I was writing it I kept a little notebook always in my pocket - whenever something NOT to be omitted popped into my head, I wrote it down there and then! And another notebook on the bedside table. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m sure there are many who are grateful that you did @garethrking!

3 Likes