Superb video messages from Anthony, Deborah, Kai, Geraint, Sara to new Welsh learners

Diolch yn fawr iawn! Really glad it helped :grin::blush:

1 Like

And heeeeeeeere’s Geraint! :star: :star2:

40 Likes

I believe there are no words from me needed. You’re all amazing and my likes on YouTube and here probably says it all.

And, @gruntius you made my day with your “intro” in deed …!

4 Likes

Thank you @tatjana, I cringe. :slight_smile:

@Novem, wonderful. First time hearing you speak english. Weird. :wink: :smile:

5 Likes

Yes, good point @gruntius! Me too actually … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@novem Gwych! Wonderful to hear how Welsh has opened up worlds and helped you to grow. Keep spreading those wings - you are an inspiration!

@gruntius Thanks for sharing your story - I think I would have liked the long version, too! :slight_smile: So glad you were able to have those conversations with your dad, and a new sense of belonging and home. I can’t imagine how new learners could not want to continue after watching these videos!

I haven’t met any of you in person, but after having listened to you in the Speaking Practice session, it does seem odd to hear all of you speak English :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Brilliant, well done. Very encouraging.
Diolch yn fawr :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

So hard to keep it short isn’t it?!

3 Likes

Indeed it is, watching the clock ticking thinking ‘rap it up’.

3 Likes

Dee’s message is truly inspirational and not just for learners of Welsh, but for all languages. Immersion is so important, as I have seen in both Belgium and Spain, learning Dutch and Castilian (Spanish). Everyone who is thinking of learning another language should watch Dee’s video.

3 Likes

I was a little sad by the dismissive comment about Klingon. I think Klingon could really do with a SaySomethingin course as well – I think there are a lot more competent writers than fluent speakers, partly because we’re even more spread out than Welsh speakers are, and having a course that focuses on speaking and that would create a similarly (eventually) nearly effortless speaker of a limited range of sentence structures at first would do a world of good!

That said, thank you very much for the rest of that video – very good to hear about your story and the personal touch behind it.

2 Likes

I don’t know what to say to this, I make no apology. I personally don’t see Klingon in the same light as a language with a clear history that has evolved and has a culture etc. Esperanto was invented to try to create a universal language with a purpose and therefore different to Klingon which, as far as I can see, was made up to support a sci-fi franchise and learnt by uber fans of said franchise. You might say I, and many others, see Klingon as a language the same way I, and many others, see Jedi as a religion.

2 Likes

Absolutely fantastic videos!!! Diolch yn fawr iawn! tulu inspirational and moving - I feel very proud. :smile: :smile: :smile:

4 Likes

Wwww, new video - this one from the inspirational @sarapeacock :star: :star2:

Diolch o galon i ti, Sara! :cocktail: :fireworks:

35 Likes

Fantastic! (That’s the one that had me doing a double take because I’ve never heard you speak English before, @sarapeacock!)

3 Likes

@sarapeacock Loved hearing your story! From setting yourself the goal of learning before you moved to Cardiff and now living and working in Welsh, really inspirational! I know I keep using that word, but, well, you all are! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, fantastic success story, truly inspirational. Llongyfarchiadau @sarapeacock.

2 Likes

Aw… thanks, folks. I really, really want people to know that learning Welsh is perfectly possible!

(I don’t think I’d recognise your voice in English either, Sonia!)

3 Likes

Wow! What brilliant, inspirational messages. Thank you all so much.

3 Likes

Diolch Anthony for such an inspirational video. I know many Welsh born and Welsh speakers who refuse to speak the language and you have such enthusiasm that puts them to shame.

3 Likes