Taith Heb Saesneg

Hi All,
I have recently been on a cycling tour of Ireland, including cycling from the southern tip to the most northern point. This inspired a new idea.
I will be due to complete the 6MWS course on 20th August, but I thought of an idea to coincide with the National Eisteddfod to create a bit of interest.
My idea is to cycle the National Cycle Network route 8 from Holyhead to Cardiff trying to use only Welsh for the entire journey. Taith heb Saesneg!
The trip will start on 6 August and I will ride the length of Wales finishing at the National Eisteddfod on 11 August. My idea is to meet up with other SSiW learner’s, maybe they may want to ride parts of the way with me, or join me for a meal in the evening or recommend places to stay or generally just chat. It could be an event that builds support as I go along. I could make a video log of the journey. Anyone with any ideas to help please let me know.

12 Likes

Route is Holyhead - Bangor - Caernarfon - Nefyn - Pwllheli - Barmouth - Fairbourne - Aberdyfi - Machynlleth - Rhyader - Brecon the Taff Trail into Cardiff.

2 Likes

More than happy to try and meet up in Caernarfon :grinning: Can’t join in though - I don’t have a bike.

Will you be raising money for anything on your way? If you are and want to raise some publicity (and if you’d be up for it), I could perhaps mention it to media colleagues if you’d like me to - the Heno team and maybe Aled Hughes at Radio Cymru might be interested, but of course I can’t promise anything.

2 Likes

I’d love to try to meet up in Barmouth or Fairbourne. Depending on timing, I might even be up for cycling a mile or two with you. :bike: :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m well of route but would like to convey my best wishes to you with your venture.

2 Likes

I haven’t planned to raise money because I am doing another ride for charity in July. I’d be happy to speak to the media. The idea is just to raise the profile of learning Welsh

2 Likes

Great. Be lovely to meet anyone learning Welsh. I will keep you updated as I get more organised

Many thanks John

I’m sure we can get some people out to meet you in Rhaeadr. @theresacorbett - are you up for this?

2 Likes

The more people involved the better. Look forward to seeing you.

What a fantastic idea!

Definitely up for a panad in Caernarfon… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Aran
I’ll probably be heading for Caernarfon to spend the first evening after getting a train to Holyhead to start the ride. It’s about 60km from Holyhead so its easily doable in an afternoon. I plan to start on 6th August so that will be my first evening stop.

1 Like

I live near Caergybi. My cycling days are over (to be honest they never really started), if you need any local help PM me. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks. If you’re available on the start day (6th August, start time TBC) it would be good to see you.

Hi Gog, fantastic that you are doing this.

I’ve cycled parts of Route 8 previously and I would have loved to do the whole route with you but I don’t think I could get the time off work, seeing as I’m going to the whole of the Eisteddfod, but I’ll see if I can manage a full day or a couple of days. It sounds like I’m a slower cyclist than you though!

Andy

1 Like

Definitely up for a panad in Caernarfon or thereabouts on 6 Aug. Do you need somewhere to stay that first night? If so, we have a spare room and are in Penygroes, just off Lon Eifion, the main cycle track out of Caernarfon. PM me if you need a bed for the night.

Cheers

Stine

2 Likes

Hi Andy,

It would be great to have a bit of company during the trip and a chance to chat in Welsh to a fellow cyclist too. I usually manage to creep towards an average speed of between 18 and 20 km/h on a journey with luggage but the speed isn’t that important its all about enjoying the journey.

Hi Stine,

it would be great to see you and Aran in Carenarfon. And a really generous offer of a bed for the night too. I will PM you about it in the next day or two.
Mark

1 Like

No worries - whenever you get a chance. Chat soon!

1 Like

You from Rhayader? My hometown!