Tatjana - progress reports

Ah, right - neither of these is (in isolation) wrong, but they mean different things.

‘Dwi’n cael amser i’w wneud e’ is more like ‘I get time to do it’ - so ‘I get time for a coffee if I’m in work early enough’. The meaning is certainly fairly close, but very much not interchangeable - if you want t say ‘I have time right now’ it will always need to be gyda/gen - ‘Dwi’n cael amser’ will always be a more present continuous kind of deal.

‘Dwi’n cael coffi’ would be used if you were saying ‘dwi’n cael coffi bob bore’ - again, present continuous. If you want to let someone know that right now you have some coffee in your possession, you will always need to use gyda/gen… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oooo …

Thank you. Now I know and I think this wasn’t really explained in the lessons so I couldn’t even forget as there was no such thing to remember. :slight_smile: (releived! :slight_smile: )

I hope I’ll remember now but I surely will mix all again. However, having things written here now I’ll always know where to look to remember. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, It seems to more interchangeable in the past though doesn’t it, but I guess if I was talking about something I always had time to do and did often like a hobby then it might be different to I got time to drink the pint (ges i)?

1 Like

I got time to drink a pint and I had time to drink a pint seem pretty interchangeable in English, but in Welsh the difference is much clearer/stronger, so sorry, no, still not interchangeable (although you will in most cases be understood, so it’s unlikely to be the end of the world!)… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I have to admit my “progress” really slowed down lately and I didn’t finish even Level 2. At the moment I’m (still) on the repeating the old course 3 and those shorten forms of all (possible) tenses really gets to my nerves, not because they’re there but because I just can’t quite understand them at all and I am not really capable of using them. So here’s one little question: Is there any list of short forms and from what verb/structure they’re derived. Maybe if I’ll know original I’ll more understand them. As much as i recall they’re not all in the written guide and (of course) there are not long forms written from which the shortenings derive. I tried to do such list but to be honest I didn’t have much success with this. If I could write short form down I all of a sudden didn’t know what it actually mean as they more or less seam all the same to me. “gesi”, “esi” “desi” … all the same …

I know not using shortenings isn’t the end of the world but it’s surely more natural to do so (at least on the South I presume), then not to.

I alos know listening to radio, watching TV would help, but, sorry, I don’t have that time to sit and listen/watch something at the moment. And besides, if you catcc yourself to snooze while listening to something, that has no particular use at all.

Well, don’t worry, I’m not getting back on track of moaning, I’d just like to give myself some aid because those shortenings really fell hard on me today. It was like I’d never be able to understand and use them …

Thans in advance.

1 Like

I don’t have much time right now but maybe have a look at these for starters-

Irregular verbs past tense:

http://clwbmalucachu.co.uk/cmc/cheat/cheat_irreg_infl_preterite.htm

Irregular verbs future tense:

http://clwbmalucachu.co.uk/cmc/cheat/cheat_irreg_infl_future.htm

2 Likes

As i have said to people before ‘you are not alone’ these still are not in place.
Thinking i will run through the old course 3 next week and see how i cope.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

I was reading the topic of @Eigentime’s progress in learning and went to see my stats on the same level he is right now. Then I was cruising through my progress logs a bit and came across this.(I even now feel the despare I was in at the time).

Do you remember? The result was at te time this

I forgot how this test looks like and did it again. “You have mostly a Growth Mindset” it says now. What my first thoughts were “Congrats to us both!”

You believed in my abilities and your wish you could help was enourmous. It radiates from this particular post even now. I wish you will succeede in helping Michael in his learning at the same level as you did with me.

I just can’t do anything about if I say big Diolch one more time! and all the best!

4 Likes

Tatjana annwyl. That’s such wonderful news… :star: :star2: :dizzy:

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn iawn! :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

1 Like

After 5 months I thought I’d write some little update which is actually not update at all as I didn’t get anywhere further than I was 5 months ago. However taking a break of learning and just do some little things on a daily basis didn’t get me much further. Actually I feel it caused me go a step or two back.

Some things which happened recently made me think about this all and made me aware I should be way ahead where I am now but I’m not. I gave a small interview to someone (you might already know to who) and when reading edited version of it I realized how much editing that poor person had to make for the interview to look at least a bit “advanced”. I have realized how simple my language still is and rather real “hwntw” what has nothing to do with South-North versions but it reflects on how half-way the language is used by me. I’m forgetting all kinds of "yn"s, “arguing” with myself where to put “i”, “yn” or something else, mutating where I sholdn’t and not mutating where I should for sure … and more “tiny” bits I’d have to know already. So, yah, don’t expect you’ll hear good Welsh speaker when talking to me. This is also the reason I don’t volunteer with anything related to those who actually only started to learn. Speaking with me would rather mean that one would be confused and would learn nothing or would learn wrongly.

The other thing which made me aware I stagnated was today’s Level 1 Challenge 25 repetition. I’m still not good at using shortenings and it’s hard even to remember them for me what to use them in such quick time which are the gaps inbetween English and Welsh in the lesson. I could use pause button, but it might not provide any challenge to me or I wouldn’t be forced to think too hard to remember things.

I also know that I use tenses all the way wrong. If earlier I wasn’t abloe to use “o’n i’n” and similar things now I’m using this all the time even when very simple past tense would be required. But mostly it’s still “nes i”, “nes i ddim” “nest ti” and such stuff we’ve learnt at first, what comes to my mind and what I use even when there would be more useful to use shortenings.

No, I’m not moaning and if I’ve written the last time how I’ve changed my fixed mindset into growth one, this stil guilts it’s just to let all know that one who’d talk to me shouldn’t expect to hear really “advanced” and fine tuned Welsh from my end. I’m stil where I was … at the very beginning although I understand mostly everything what’s been told to me but my answers are way too simple to be counted into something advanced or fine tuned.

Might be I’ve disapointed those who put so much effort into my learning, even comming to visit me and even made much more things for me, but that’s how it is … I’m trying my best to be able to really learn every day a bit, but the time is even more hard on me as it was before. Now I am comuting already for almost 4 and a hlaf hours a day and the things (despite i’m going almost the same distance as before just in another direction of the city) look to go even worse when winter comes. This week I’m at home and I put more effort into doing or re-doing more lessons but when this time passes I’ll have to switch back to “normal” again.

So, that’s basically why I don’t involve in any Skyping more than I already do (sgwrs with @brigitte and @ramblingjohn’s Skype practice when it occurs). I might do more damage to beginners than do them a favour.

So, this is it. Now back to learning. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh @tatjana fach.

You were looking in my head and writing how i feel about my Welsh.
I have spoken welsh once with one person in Oxford this summer, yes life/work gets
in the way at times.

The positives are look how far you have come and how you have inspired others.
Many on here would give you a gold star for determination and entertainment.
keep doing what you are doing which will help others do the same.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Tatjana, I’m sure no one will think that you would damage other learners.
We are chatting every week for at least 1 1/2 hours, nearly only in Welsh with the odd word in English or German.
And we are speaking about everything, politics, sports, learning, about Wales, Slowenia, Germany, raising children, work and I can’t imagine anything that we didn’t mention (well, maybe nuclear physic). So how can you say that you’re not advanced? What would you count as advanced? A poet, someone who speaks perfectly?
I started learning English 50 years ago and my English is still very basic. I use too many : go, do, have, thing, etc. where I know better words. I enjoy reading posts on the forum that are written in really good English and I know, that I’ll never be able to write in the same way. But I see myself as one who can speak English and can speak Welsh.
So go back to learning and stop running yourself down.:wink: I’m looking forward to our next sgwrs Ddydd Sadwrn.

6 Likes

A very kind, extremely helpful Welsh speaker who would never damage anyone one made me a beautiful video when I was feeling down about my own Welsh journey. You can watch it here :wink: I hope it cheers you up as much as it did me :slight_smile:

Be kind to yourself. Just keep on with learning, as much or as little as you can, when you feel like it. We are all going at our own pace, and no one is competing with anyone else. But never doubt that you can speak Welsh, and never ever think that you’ve disappointed anyone.

4 Likes

It isn’t learning you need, Fach, but ymarfer, ymarfer, ymarfer! You live furher from Wales than I do, so you have to rely on Skype and repeating what you’ve done before. Repetition leads to boredom and if you have a gap, you forget because you get no practice at all! Anyone living in Wales has some chance of using the language, if it’s only watching Cyw!

1 Like

Hmmm … let me think … It was my head, I’m sure it was. :slight_smile:

Yes, thank you. I walked some way in deed.

Well, thank you. I didn’t loose that determination for sure just that tieme isn’t my alley and many times being on the bus I’d have all the time to do something but I’m simply too tired. However I am reading/listening to books now in all kinds of languages I know. At the moment I am finishing listening to “Martha, Jack a Sianco” which @margaretnock kindly shared audio recording with me. I intend to read this same book Margaret kindly sent to me some time after visiting me to establish how’s Welsh reading going with me. From the time I’ve listened to the last chapter (it was Chapter 26 if i’m correct) and until now (I’ve came to the chapter 33 last week) I found out I understand much more than I did last time so yes, this is positive thing to hang on. :slight_smile:

Yes, @brigitte, we speak about 1 to 1/2 hour a week all kinds of themes (even maybe a bit of Sci-Fi when word comes to my son and his learning). But I’d count one being advanced who would at least be able to use some of those shortenings. You’re in that range while I’m not yet. This is not a comparrison but just a finding.

Did no one tell you that you speak (and write) excellent English.

I’m running … back to learning … and it’s not that hard, just realizing some things, that’s all. That interview really needed a lot of editing what made me think about what I still have to (re)learn.

So do I!

Thank you. Yes, I do remember that video. You’re always so kind. But with harming someone I actually meant about speaking. One in early stage of learning could get confused, that’s all I meant.

Yes, here I should agree with you @henddraig.

Thank you all for a bit of cheer up. And, speaking about videos (sorry it has nothing to do with learning Welsh though) … I’m doing a lot of stuff, not just learning Welsh and to cheer you up, I’d like to share this one with you today. It’s titled Night Traveling and I created this music much earlier than animation but this all just gets together really nicely.

Diolch am popeth bawb ac ioyo.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So glad you are enjoying Martha, Jac a Sianco, even though it isn’t a very happy story. If it makes you feel any better, I still hear new things in it every time I listen to it.

Three cheers for @tatjana. Hwre, Hwre, Hwre

2 Likes

You are so talented and creative! Your music is lovely and the video is mesmerizing. Thanks for sharing it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s rather sad story and it took me time to figure out who’s who in the story. At the beginning there seams to be so many names (Judy, Jack, Sianco, Ben (I believe it is Ben)) etc and the most memorabile “scene” I understood all perfectly too well even at the beginning was that one with a little bottle of strychnine. It really struck me. The little word made me listen to all the rest even more carefully. Now the scenes with stroke, hospital happenings etc, I understand actually quite perfectly. That scene about buying the piano and how Martha actually couldn’t play was quite fine to understand too. And I understand Judy is actually greedy only for money and when she saw there’s nothing for her anymore she took what (thought) is hers and went … Life catching story really. When my mother died my father found very similar person to that so I understand this even more even in Welsh. :slight_smile: I’m sure I’ll go through it one way or another at least one more time until I won’t be sure I understood everything perfectly clear. :slight_smile: To be honest inserts of English (since Judy can’t speak Welsh) help to understand some parts so it’s actually, if even a bit devastating at times, a good story for learners of a bit advanced level to read.

Hwre for you @margaretnock! Hwre, Hwre, Hwre :slight_smile: You’re always so helpful and kind to everyone. Diolch.

Thank you @AnnaC Sometimes I have some inspirational moments. At the moment I’m playing with various graphic software to test which is better and animation was always my playground apart from learning languages. But with a bit of excercise - as with languages - everyone can be creative. I can’t draw for example but with the aid of some software I managed to do some quite good works (for my soul mostly). :slight_smile: For some of such things you here on this forum were great inspiration.

So, you see, if I wouldn’t find SSi and start to learn Welsh might be I’d not do as half of things I do now. :slight_smile:

Well, @aran and @Iestyn with founding SSiW you’re responsible for many more good things than just helping Welsjh to live and us to learn it. Diolch yn fawr iawn in deed! :slight_smile:

Oh, what equivalents “in deed” in Welsh?

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Should? Compared to whom?

Don’t slip into this kind of negative self-judgement, Tatjana - it only hurts you, and it has no base in reality. The vast majority of our learners would be delighted to be able to spend hours on the phone using almost only Welsh.

So you don’t use short forms very often? Guess what, neither do I…:slight_smile:

How often you use short forms is NOT a very good measuring tool for your achievements.

How often you speak Welsh, by contrast, IS.

6 Likes

Sianco’s dog is called Bob.
The piano comes from Gwynfor but Martha never actually plays it.
I’d probably listened half a dozen times before realising that Martha had a baby in her teens which was born too early and died. She told no one at the time, and only Sianco much later on.