Tatjana - progress reports

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

This is fantastic news :sunny:

Seriously.

The fact that you got some new things right shows that consolidation HAS been happening for you. The fact that you got some ā€˜wrongā€™ that youā€™d previously got ā€˜rightā€™ isnā€™t important - all thatā€™s happening there is that youā€™re measuring such tiny details, the smallest of shifts means that you count it as wrong.

Youā€™re measuring yourself the wrong way, Tatjana - you obviously went into this repeat expecting/hoping that you would magically get much, much more right - it doesnā€™t work like that.

Your experiences here are normal. You are not doing badly. Youā€™re just measuring yourself badly.

The next step is easy.

You leave 24 and 25 for a month now - make a note in your diary - and in the meantime, you start Course 3.

Yes, I know everything youā€™re going to say about that! But nonetheless, itā€™s what you do next. As it happens, I think you might find Course 3 a bit of a breather - as long as you can accept the fact that it deals with things that you know lots of different ways to say, so your ā€˜get it RIGHTā€™ measurements will continue to be low. For a lot of people, Course 3 is boring, because itā€™s the most traditional piece of writing I did, working its way through the short forms of the verb - but I think you might find the process itself quite easy.

And once youā€™ve finished your first run through Course 3, Iā€™ve got something else in mind for you :sunny:

Those two sentences radiates such big ā€œhappynessā€ and chear that one just canā€™t be equanimous about this. Not that other people on here donā€™t manage to do that, but you really can push me forward when needed so here we go on ā€¦ :frowning: HAHA

Iā€™d be the least honest person of the world if Iā€™d say that this is not true. Yes thatā€™s how it goes ā€¦ pure math - or itā€™s right or itā€™s wrong catching myself sometimes that when I did mark answer as right I went back and marked it wrong as it wasnā€™t put from me the way I expected - the right way.

:slight_smile: yah ā€¦

I did them only once (was not in the working mood on Monday I admit). So does it mean I donā€™t neccessarilly need to do them one more time and then go on?

SURPRISE!!! Iā€™m gonna say nothing (for a change) :slight_smile: .

Curiousity is always the engine which (besides all lift ups from you and members here) can push one further so right now Iā€™m curious. I imagine Course 3 as kind of compatible with the first part of Level 1 in terms of short verbs and stuff so since I did Level 1 till the Challenge 15, this might (hopefully) come to my aid. (or am I mistaken?) :slight_smile:

O_o ā€¦ this sounds scarry ā€¦ :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: ā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been there, done that, and i apologise to any people that have got bored waiting for me to say something about the dog i donā€™t have. skype is like many things, wonderful but maybe it needs to be avoided at times.

We wonā€™t be chatting, You will have lots to say, mistakes or not understanding will be of no importance, and if you donā€™t find it useful you will be free to tell all on here.

The only reason i say any of this is because i sense you wish to improve as much as me.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Nope, once is fine. Youā€™d almost certainly see some changes if you did a quick repeat, but thereā€™s no need to - put a date in your diary to repeat them in four weeks, and get on with Course 3ā€¦ :sunny:

:star2: :star:

1 Like

Marked as today - itā€™s 13th and my husband says itā€™s lucky number so it must be it. :slight_smile:

On the more sirious note: Iā€™ll start with Course 3 today doing as I did until now - lesson per day (as I said curiousity is engine which pushes further so right now Iā€™m curious what still lays ahead ā€¦ :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Great advice MargaretšŸ˜Š

1 Like

1st week of Course 3

Iā€™ll put pure statistic here and nothing more.

L1=17%
L2=31%
L3=13%
L4=9%
L5=22%
L6=8%
L7=7%

L1-7=15%

Iā€™ll say only this yet that I have not the slidest clue what Iā€™m learning at all and I donā€™t even know where Iā€™ve found those above 10 percentages. (It must be Iā€™ve cheated and I donā€™t even know that) ā€¦

@Tatjana, Iā€™m just curiousā€¦how are you actually determining your statistics? Do you mark yourself as you are doing the lesson? I was thinking that If I tried to do that, I would be very distracted by the evaluation process and wouldnā€™t be able to have my full attention on the lesson (and therefore wouldnā€™t learn well). I think the only way I could accurately evaluate myself would be to have a voice recorder running while I did the lesson. Then I would listen to the recording afterward to mark ā€œrightā€ and ā€œwrongā€. I am just wondering what your ā€œprocessā€ isā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve recorded first two lessons of Course 1 then I went strait into statistics while learning.

Well set Excell table with well prepared formulas for counting, conditional formating and calculating percentage and youā€™re set. Then, when you set all those things you only have to press whatever you determine is mark for right and wrong.

In my case mark for right is C (which colors green when pressed) and F for false (which colors red when pressed). You donā€™t count anything, you just look at the result at the end. I usually have fingers set to those two letters (since I can blind typinng) usually having eyes closed so that I can only listen and not look what appears on the table. I can focus to the lesson very well, not being (too) distracted.

In my case the thing is I donā€™t cope with those short forms anymore. For majority of you theyā€™re way more simple to form sentences with (as much as I could establish) for me the whole thing became WAY harder now. I tend to say long forms for things but even those donā€™t appear right anymore and all my vocabulary went somewhere in the background and it seams I canā€™t dig it out anymore.

As much as I could establish I only remember basic things from early lessons of Course 1 all the rest (despite I did the whole Course 2 too, those 7 lessons of Course 3, whole Course 1 vocabulary units and 15 Challenges of Level 1 + I listen to listening practices when Iā€™m in position of doing this) is like a blur. Most of the things I canā€™t (donā€™t) remeber anymore and when repetition in some Lesson occurs itā€™s usually like something new at first to me. If thereā€™s more sentences then I might remember that they were taught in some lesson but I constantly fail to form them especially those shortened ones. They always appear to me like almost the whole sentence would be missing and they donā€™t sound right to me at all.

Iā€™m sorry, this is not going hand in hand with SSi aproach, but I find myself in the position when I seam to being able to produce much less with learning those shortened things then I was able after doing just Course 1 where there were none (yet).

But since you all are doing (majority of you) according to your writings on the forum) EXTREAMLY WELL (Iā€™m almost jelous about that to be honest) this is ONLY ME AGAIN who obviously is not capable of going with the flow.

No matter what, the whole SSi way is brilliant. Iā€™m the one who isnā€™t. This for Iā€™m anticipated to see some languages Iā€™ve already learnt here so I can establish for sure whatā€™s actually wrong with me. If I canā€™t re-learn even those, then I really donā€™t belong here and Iā€™ll go away to make room for more new, way more positive learners.

1 Like

Wow, high tech! Iā€™d have a pad of paper and a pencil :smile: Thanks for explaining that to me.

I canā€™t comment about short forms, since the only one Iā€™ve seen so far is sa/so in Course 2 Lesson 0. Iā€™m only on Lesson 1 now, because the last two weeks have been very busy. I at least do some kind of listening practice every day, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to get back to lessons seriously until next week.

Try not to get discouraged, keep to Aranā€™s plan, and then we will see what he has in mind next. His previous post sounds like he has something up his sleeveā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, he always has. When I already think heā€™d lost his hope he says something like ā€œI already have something else on my mind.ā€

Sometimes I wonder whos limits I push more - my, @aranā€™s or those of all of you who might all loose patience with me at one point ā€¦ However I canā€™t help myself ā€¦

Just a thoughtā€¦ How are you marking your answers? I was finding it difficult to get 80%of the questions ā€˜totallyā€™ right as even if I got the right words/tense etc I would inevitably slip up on a mutation for example. Then I would get fed up with going over the lesson again and again. So I decided that if I got 80%of an individual sentence right that was good enough and I could learn from what Iestyn said and carry on and enjoy the course, occasionally dipping back into a lesson as and when I wanted to.
I am sure that those doing the high intensity method cannot really be getting 80% right first time especially if not using the pause button!
Hope this helps but please ignore if not especially if Aran doesnā€™t approve!

1 Like

Oh, dear @AnneEvans! If Iā€™d have 80 % of the sentence correct it would be enough for me but these days most of the time itā€™s 0 % right because I say (if I say them at all) totally wrong. I really struggle to the data that Lesson 2 was even 31 % correct. But yes, I tend to mark them wrong if they arenā€™t correct but mostly because itā€™s not the whole sentence spoken from me at all but just 1/4 of it and even that 1/4 is more then 1/2 wrong.

Those short forms are so similar one ot another that I canā€™t devide them anymore to what they actually mean.

Iā€™m sticking to the @aranā€™s plan though - Lesson a day going on without repetition, no pause button (well that last wasnā€™t exactly his instruction or idea). Even if Iā€™d use pause button there would be no better. Iā€™d probably do tha lesson for several hours using it because remembering difficulties probably wouldnā€™t vanish though.

Sounds as if you are pretty much doing the high intensity method then so you are braver than I am ! Well done.

This keeps me going and @aran obviously knows this. If I wouldnā€™t do this way, I might very well not be here anymore. And this has nothing to do with courage, believe me.

These numbers are great, Tatjana, no problem at all.

Do you remember me saying that you might find Course 3 a bit of a breather IF you could accept that ā€˜it deals with things that you know lots of different ways to say, so your ā€˜get it RIGHTā€™ measurements will continue to be lowā€™ā€¦??

When you let yourself feel bad about your percentages, thatā€™s the trap youā€™re falling into. Those percentages, for Course 3, are ABSOLUTELY FINE. :sunny:

So, keep on going, keep on giving your brain the exposure you need, and when youā€™ve done your first run through Course 3, weā€™ll talk about the next stage of the planā€¦

1 Like

I remember, @aran, but I actually am not iritated with percentage, but with the fact that I canā€™t even form the beginning of the sentence. I all of a sudden CAN NOT remember even things (ways to say things) I should know. This is what Iā€™m irritated with.

If I take only percentage into considderation, then some particular lessons aare really good (31 %, 17 % ā€¦).

It also bothers me not noticing the difference inbetween shortenings. Theyā€™re all the same to me ā€¦ Iā€™ll have to look for all into written guide (didnā€™t do that yet) to picture the differences and bond them with the meaning and ā€œaudioā€ of all.

Well, if you deal with your irritation - because we know that you get irritated about things which arenā€™t actually a problem in the learning process - you will find it all much easier and much less stressful.

So you have a choice - you can listen to me telling you that this is not a problem and that you are doing fine, and feel happier - or you can choose to ignore me, and carry on kicking yourself. Itā€™s up to youā€¦ :sunny:

1 Like

Itā€™s not about feeling but rather about understanding things. ā€¦

Percentages are not important anymore ā€¦