Tatjana - progress reports

Did you get a speaking date? If not, I can do either of those times this evening. :sunflower:

1 Like

I spoke with @brigitte yesterday a bit but if you have the time, itā€™s no problem for me to go for one more chat. :slight_smile: Just say which time suits you more that from 7 to 8 pm my time (6 to 7 pm your time) or from 9 pm (8 pm your time)

6pm my time. :musical_note:

1 Like

Iawn!

Well, I donā€™t have set conversation practice for this week yet (apart from Brigitte) do ā€¦ whoā€™d be up to it this week?

Times as usual 7-8 pm and 9-10 pm my time.

Here we go. Monday has come and usually we start the week with Monday donā€™t we so Iā€™ve begun my 2 weeks journey. Iā€™ll put her pure stats with no comments at all just to show Iā€™m really doing things every day. As youā€™ll see by results thereā€™s a waste of energy to comment on this poor statistic anyway. Letā€™s begin then:

Day 1
Course 1 Lesson 25 = 47 % (when I did first ever measuring of it, it was 64 %)
Course 2 Lesson 25 = 8 % (when I did first ever measuring of it, it was 12 %)

Well, hereā€™s my whole progress through those 14 days. Well at least I hope itā€™ll be a progress although for Lesson 25 of Course 2 I for most of the thngs I donā€™t have the clue what Iā€™m doing. Sorry, but I just canā€™t understand those things presented in Course 2 ā€¦

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DoVREJdIZU0UMF1Z6HGJ-xOIWn2LtlXEbY2OpT1IDUE/pub

1 Like

Whatā€™s the latest on this? :sunny:

Nothing yet today. I intend to do it right now after I finish eating my apple. :slight_smile:

The table is updated when I write new result in so youā€™d have to return to post 427 every day. :slight_smile: if youā€™d want to see the result.

1 Like

Beginning of moaning!

I have just to say that the results would be much better if Iā€™d understand all those possesives comming in Course 2. Iā€™m getting nuts out of them! ā€œmy childā€ " his wife" " loving her"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just canā€™t stand this anymore! What in the name of God should I do to finally understand that (annoying) bit? Sorry, but itā€™s 100 times more complicated then in English or in Slovene for example. Iā€™m really giving up hope on this bit. I feel like Course 1 is all I really learnt and nothing else and this will probably be the whole level of my conversation even in a wild (if ever comes to that at all).

Any advise on how should I learn those possesives and reflexives? Or better how to memorize them. Repeating material obviously is not enough.

End of moaning!

Tatjana fachā€¦

I think you may have hit the stage where you just need to see them in writing to get your head round them.

There are three different kinds of ā€œsofteningsā€ that crop up with posessive pronouns.

Cath = cat

Fy nghath i = my cat (ā€œnasal mutationā€)

Dy gath di = your cat (ā€œsoft mutationā€)

Ei gath e = his cat ("soft mutation ")
Ei chath hi = her cat (ā€œaspirate mutationā€)

Ein cath ni = our cat

Eich cath chi = your cat

Eu cath nhw = their cat (Phew to those!)

Take a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh/pdf/welshgrammar_f_pronoun.pdf, in the same way that youā€™ve successfully learnt other languages. Then have another shot at the practices.

I think there is a series of lessons in course 2 that practises these fairly systematically - it may be worth seeking those out again. (And at the risk of being figuratively shot, I might suggest targeted use of the pause button until you feel comfortableā€¦ Scuttles off into the shadows!)

3 Likes

This is an area where i am far from confident , i will try to make a list tonight and post for reference (i need it).

Dw iā€™n drio cofio amdana gorffenol pan on iā€™n meddwl fel fydda i ddim yn dysgu gwrs 6.1 - 6.2, rwan dim broblem, felly dw iā€™n meddwl yn y difodol, bydd 'na rywbeth sydd yn anodd i fi bob blyddyn.

If you can make sense of what i have written (which i think you will), then you have come a long way in a short time. YES it really is frustrating and i would not be surprised to know there are a lot of people feeling the same (just not voicing their frustration).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Yah, Iā€™m ā€œvoicingā€ them too much shouting out of frustration as Iā€™ve gone through those things so many times. Thank you @ramblingjohn.

@netmouse, youā€™re actually right. I have to see them written down. I know the mutations when it comes to other things, but to possessives and reflexives Iā€™m liek frozen. Ant thereā€™s so much of it I feel like I donā€™t go anywhere with the whole learning because of that. Iā€™m slowly climbing up the Lesson 25/2 but this is because of other things not possessives and, yes, I know, Course 2 is full of those things all the way though. Itā€™s just that I just all of a sudden didnā€™t understand what comes where at all.

Letā€™s compare (just for fan of it) that Cath thingy to the Slovene one ā€¦ :slight_smile: [size=9]Yes I really want to do this for a long time already![/size]

mačka = cat (it can also be ā€œmucaā€ if itā€™s little one or too cute to call it ā€œmačkaā€)
moja mačka = my cat
tvoja mačka = your cat
njegova mačka = his cat
njena mačka = her cat
naŔa mačka = our cat
vaŔa mačka = your cat (plural)
njihova mačka = their cat.

BUT!!! We have duality too Gormod o problemiau hefyd. :slight_smile:

najina mačka = our cat (those of two of us)
vajina mačka = your cat (no matter of the gender)
njuna mačka = their cat (no matter of the gender)

Now you know to who cat belongs to in Slovene. - hehe :slight_smile:

All in all - thank you both of you. This will come handy in deed. Will try to investigate the thingys with plentyn, gwraig, dad and whatā€™s more to it. Sometimes I mutate right but forget to put ā€œdyā€ and ā€œdiā€ (for example) where they have to be put. ā€¦

1 Like

Tatjana fach, Iā€™ve got two really good grammar books with rules and exercises, I can send you the scans of the relevant pages - maybe they will be useful. Iā€™m also of the opinion that it might be helpful to see the possessives all in a table!

I wouldnā€™t argue if youā€™d do that. To be honest I didnā€™t buy any grammar book yet. I have some grammar rules explained in ā€œTeach Yourself Welshā€ but I think theyā€™re not noted as Iā€™d want them to or I donā€™t look into it properly. I also have a dictionary where there are always some gramar rules explained but to my sadness itā€™s so tiny print that my eyes are probably implemented inthere so it might be ā€œtatjanaā€™s eyesā€ is the new structure/word written inthere or youā€™d at least find a pice of my glasses inthere ā€¦ :slight_smile:

I donā€™t moan many times because of my sight but at such things Iā€™m irritated with it.

So, thank you in advance.

If you have Google Drive or Dropbox you can also put scans there and share link with me. Knight Ghost is my Google name. :slight_smile: Or Iā€™ll simply come to Skype for some file sharing. :slight_smile:

Just PM me your e-mail, I think itā€™ll be convenient for us both?:slight_smile:
I have Heini Gruffudd ā€œWelsh rulesā€ (thanks to my cariad who kindly brought it from the UK) and some other books as well, which I hope will be useful)

1 Like

My mailā€™s no secret - KnightGhost1(at)gmail.com

1 Like

Iā€™ve lost the challenge. I didnā€™t do any lesson today. So, I donā€™t deserve the ā€œrewardā€. I wonā€™t promise Iā€™d do them twice tomorrow (today) because I know it wonā€™t happen though.

:frowning:

[size=5]I just need to go to bed. ā€¦ good night (morning ā€¦ itā€™s 3 am again).[/size]

Iā€™m sorry. Hitting pause button and looking into the table what mutation to use and how to create the possessives and reflexives made me even more confused. I thought the result would be better, but itā€™s actually worse. I all of a sudden didnā€™t know even things I did before. All of a sudden Iā€™ve got the feeling even what I could say right is wrong ā€¦ No pause button is even less for me then drilling through in one piece ā€¦

[size=9]Refer to post 427 for results[/size]

Tatjana, I think this is something that is going to take time and practice to master. I donā€™t think its realistic to expect that you will do well with it the first time you try to go through the lesson with the chart in front of you. Too much to think about all at once! I know writing isnā€™t the SSi way, but I wonder if some written exercises to help solidify the structures in your mind would help, as @stella suggested.

I am struggling with the same thing (possessives & reflexives) but to be fair I havenā€™t done all the SSiW lessons yet. Iā€™ve taught myself a bit with my Gareth King book because Iā€™ve wanted to use them in my journal, but the mutations arenā€™t sticking for meā€¦I know I need the lesson practice for that. I think Iā€™m going to have more time and energy for lessons now - Iā€™m looking forward to getting back into it!

1 Like

Doing the whole course twice, going through Lesson 25/2 every day and nothing sticks with me ā€¦ itā€™s a bit too much.

Iā€™m glad youā€™re back in gaining energy for doing lessons on the contrary of me. Iā€™m loosing my energy, passion, whatever ā€¦ Christmas and New Yearā€™s time is always treating me this way already for quite some years. Hopefully when Spring comes things will start to be better again, who knows ā€¦

OK, sorry, I didnā€™t want to moan and feel pity for myself so I better stop here before I do the same stupid thing as I did some months back ā€¦