Tatjana - progress reports

Thank you @aran

I felt like it would just drop down from the sky out of nowhere and despite I’ve heard it I just wasn’t able to use it in any way … :slight_smile:

Agreed. I did until now but for some things it just doesn’t sound right for “wnes i” to be used (like in combination with “rhaid i fi” for example) …

I hope it comes out quickly,. :slight_smile:

Too early … even present tense is too foggy for me at that time. - hehe :slight_smile:

On the sirious note: Thank you. It’s good idea. I’ll try this one and see how it goes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What in the name of God is the difference between “taw” and “bod”. I’m obviously dumb not to see it at all but I’m annoyed i am not able to properly use that “taw” at all …

It’s for emphatic clauses - take a look at:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Welsh/Grammar/Clauses

or for ‘focused clauses’ here:

But you’ll be best off choosing one or two examples of it and making them part of your speech until you feel ready to extrapolate from them - so, for example, ‘Dwi’n meddwl taw hi sydd yn moyn siarad nesaf’ or ‘Ddudodd e taw ni oedd i fod i’w wneud e’.

Are you comfortable with/aware of the ways we change emphasis in a sentence?

I understand too little of this … To be honest, I’m not sure if I totally understand what you’re asking me at all.

Sorry. …

It’s the kind of thing it’s much easier just to get the hang of by listening to enough Welsh until it suddenly makes sense…:wink:

But…

Mae hi’n hoffi rhedeg - she likes running/she likes to run.

Hi sydd yn hoffi rhedeg - it is she who likes to run

Rhedeg mae hi’n hoffi - it’s running that she likes.

Now, if you add these to ‘Dwi’n meddwl’…

Mae hi’n hoffi rhedeg -> Dwi’n meddwl bod hi’n hoffi rhedeg.

Hi sydd yn hoffi rhedeg -> Dwi’n meddwl taw hi sydd yn hoffi rhedeg.

If that helps, fab - if it doesn’t, don’t worry about it, let the shift happen naturally… :sunny:

1 Like

Now, let’s see if I’ve got it correctly:

• In the first sentence we’re focused on subject (on what she likes to do) so here’s bod
  • In the second sentence we’re focused on her (on that she’s the one who likes something (in this case running) so here’s taw.

Or is it all even more complex than that???

Sorry, I’ve been thinking about when to use bod/mai/taw too.
My understanding is that mai (or taw) is used in emphatic sentences (when word order is changed for emphasis. Also that it can be used for stress on the pronoun after ‘mai’, like in English when we put emphasis on ‘He/She’?

So: Mae hi’n hoffi rhedeg: Dw i’n meddwl bod mae hi’n hoffi rhedeg, neu, dw i’n meddwl mai hi sy’n hoffi rhedeg, neu arall, dw i’n mewddwl mai rhedeg mae hi’n hoffi

That bit is definitely right - I’d say that in the first one, there isn’t really any focus/emphasis - it’s just an ordinary declarative statement, ‘she likes running’.

This is a common hiccup - mae is a part of the verb bod, so you don’t need it twice - so ‘dwi’n meddwl bod hi’n hoffi rhedeg’ is what you want here. The others are right on the money :sunny:

Thank you @aran.

Sorry, but here’s one more which bothers me for a while already. I know it was explained in the lesson, but at the moment I’m in the state of mind (general work happenings caused that obviously) I need really simple explanation.

So …

When to use “si’n” and when “pwy si’n”? (sorry my possible misspelling).

Thank you.

In full I think it’s “Pwy sydd yn rhedeg?” - who is running?
sydd and yn are contracted to sy’n
and if the question isn’t Who? but something like beth, i think it works the same way : Beth sy’n rhedeg? (What is running) Mae dafad yn rhedeg (The sheep is running)
Please correct me if I’m wrong!

1 Like

If you’re asking a question, like Y Ddraig Las’s example, ‘Who is running?’ then you would use ‘Pwy sydd yn rhedeg?’ (or ‘Pwy sy’n rhedeg?’)…

But if it’s in the middle of a sentence, where you would use ‘who is’ in English - ‘I know someone who is ready to help’ - then you do not need the ‘pwy’, because that’s expressed in the ‘sydd’ - so ‘Dwi’n nabod rhywun sydd yn barod i helpu’ (or ‘Dwi’n nabod rhywun sy’n barod i helpu’).

Hope this helps… :sunny:

2 Likes

It helps. Thank you both. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, cruising through the old lessons for the 3rd (or what amount of) time already I all of a sudden, repeating structures with “teimlo” got the idea … (oh, ja, idea of my own again!)

I know (of course, by now I just have to know that, don’t I) that “I am tired” is said “Dw i wedi blino.” but what if I want to express that statement the other way like “I feel tired.” Is it possible to say “Dwi’n teimlo yn blino.” or such thing just doesn’t exist in Cymraeg?

Might be stupid thinking but it just clicked and I have to ask. :slight_smile:

Dw i’n credu mae’n bosib i dweud : bod yn flinedig . felly mae’n bosib i dweud “teimlo’n flinedig”.
I believe it’s possible to say : be tired, maybe it’s possible to say “feeling tired”.

Not at all sure how correct my welsh is but it was an interesting question, and the only way we will improve is keep trying.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn @ramblingjohn

This, mostly - John’s right that you could say ‘Dwi’n teimlo’n flinedig’, but it’s a much less common approach than ‘I feel tired’ in English.

2 Likes

Well then … I’ll stay with “wedi blino”.

It’s just that ideas running through my head all the time. We, in Slovene can say both and both is equally common:

• “Utrujen(a) sem.” would be something like “Dw i wedi blino.” despite we don’t say “I have tired” but just as English equvivalent “I am tired.” Oh, and that (a) means feminine. Woman says “Utrujena sem.” and man says “Utrujen sem.”
  • “Počutim se utrujeno”, “Počutim se utrujenega.” is something like @ramblingjohn’s version of feeling tired so “I feel tired.” Again "Počutim se utrujeno (or utrujena, both is right) is woman’s statement while “Počutim se utrujenega.” would be man’s statement.

That’s why it clicked to me in Cymraeg migh tbe just the same although it isn’t used much.

Thank you to both for your answers @aran and @ramblingjohn.

2 Likes

And if you’ve come to this thread to see Tatjana’s progression over time, you’ll want to finish by reading what she had to say after she came to Bootcamp:

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Let’s say a word about my learning again …

… no, no, I’m not complaining, just describing stuff, that’s all …

I’m continuing doing my lessons (ummm, well, lessons repetitions) where I’ve finished before going to bootcamp and now I’m finding myself speaking much worse then I did at the bootcamp or even before. I know this is not the lack of knowledge, confidence or something like this, but simple fact that I want to implement the stuff I’m (re)learning in the lessons in the conversations and to be honest this doesn’t go very well.

I had conversation with @brigitte yesterday as we have it (more or less) every Saturday and not only I’ve talked quite messy trying to use things I’ve just re-learnt but I all of a sudden couldn’t remember the words I should know already. Well, but it’s neccessary to mention that our conversations are always very complex and for averaga learner a bit “hard” as we talk about literally everything - from weather all the way to babi bach and her developement, school and happenings around the globe - so it’s not strange there are many words we (maybe) both are not knowing them.

However my sentence formations are aweful lately (and I believe at the time I was in Cymru they were not any better but I just passed that fact for some (maybe confidence) reason)). And, yah, my memory is still lousy and I just have to laugh upon my forgetness as I find almost every lesson I’m re-doing as totally new one.

And there’s one more thing: Past tense in any form is aweful, really. The form “Wnes i/ti…” (simple forms of past tense from first old lessons) is so rooted in me I just can’t switch my brains to use anything else no matter I try. And with trying to say past tense sentences different (more common way maybe) it causes my sentences are real mess. I came to idea that now it’s maybe the right time ot write all forms down and try to remember this way how they should be used and when. That in Slovenian language we use mostly only one form of past tense now really comes on my way and is really disturbing thing in deed.

Any other idea how to wipe out that “simple past tense” form? …

Make a list of the alternative examples of the past tense that you’d like to use more often/naturally.

Put them all together into two or three paragraphs talking about your life.

Record yourself reading it once a day, until you can record it all without looking at the text.

:slight_smile: