Tatjana - progress reports

HAHA! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Do you know what, @aran? You made my day with this only sentence! I LOVE IT!

And, I promissed I won’t moan anymore so I WONT.

O boy, this single answer of yours made me happy to the bits!

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

2 Likes

Not as happy as I was yesterday regardless my “Lesson 0” of Course 2 went prety (um, let’s say) bad for my circumstances. 54 % was all I could manage to pull out of the whole thing and as much as “sai” “so” and similar “monsters” seams easy to cope with I just can’t go with that. However I was still happier yesterday with less correct to be done then today.

Today’s lesson was a bit better - about 64 % correct but this is more because it was longer so more things were about to be said.

To be honest, I’m siriously thinking about switching from south to north. From all I’ve read here northern course obviously has less “exceptions” and “do your way” stuff what surely is easily to learn. (or I’m wrong in that thinkiing?)

Please one of you be so kind and give me some comparisson to how much of “it’s correct this way but we tend to say it this way” tend to appear in north version in comparrison to south. I find it harder and harder to cope with “breaking the rules”, and thinking about what and how to say those “unique to south version” things I tend to forget the half of other parts of sentence I should say.

Don’t worry @aran. I won’t sing an ode about how bad I am and will carry on, but I would really like to know what I’ve asked above. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t do this, Tatjana. At this stage of your learning, it would be absolutely the wrong thing to do. It would give you an entire extra mountain to climb of dropping all the southern words/structures you’ve been working on, and making a lot of extra mistakes as you get used to the northern (something you know you don’t enjoy).

Your progress is not about south vs north - your progress is about relaxing vs worrying.

54% is absolutely fine for the lesson in which the entire approach to the negative gets switched. And 64% for Lesson 1 of Course 2 is equally encouraging. You do NOT need to be getting higher numbers than this - you just need to push on through to the end of Course 2 so that the spaced repetition has a chance to work.

Don’t change anything - just keep going, and keep telling us your percentages in here :sunny:

2 Likes

Are you sirious with this? I already had a feeling I’m a bit annoying with that. However it’s interesting to see what I really do right and what not and I’m “measuring” this from quite a bit curiousity as well.

Thank you. I intended to carry on however I was really pondering my thoughts about switching. That’s why I’ve asked here first not to do something what I’d have even more hard times with later on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely. I think it’s a vital part of the process for you, because it’s creates real accountability - instead of talking about going well/not going well, we can talk specific numbers.

2 Likes

I’ve mixed the data. The right percentage is 42.

Well, continuing the Course 2 with lesson 3 it’s obvious I went through Course 1 already for 3 or 4 times while I’m going through those first lessons of Course 2 only the second time. The percentage is only 49 for 3rd lesson and 54 % for all lessons in Course 2 I went through until now. I have to mention in Lesson 3 and partly also in lesson 2 are almost only long sentences what really causes me a problem. Give me short things I’ll shot them out, give me a long structure I’ll fail to say it (almost) completely along with all “yn” s and mutations even in the part of the sentence which I might manage to compose together.

Well, 3 more lessons to go this week and I’ll see what happens … :frowning:

Question: are you counting ‘so/sa’ as errors if you say ‘dim’ instead? If you are, please don’t :sunny:

I think it’s also important to give yourself a break with the long sentences - they’re meant to give your brain exposure to the structures, rather than to be something that you aim to get right in full every time. With the way in which you’re measuring at the moment, I’d recommend thinking about just not counting the long sentences.

But otherwise - please believe me, Tatjana, this is a high enough rate of correct responses for you to move on through the course :sunny:

No I don’t as I usually can’t put together anything instead … I all of a sudden become so confused I tend to forget what second option should be … :frowning:

I intend to move on, it’s just interesting to see how the numbers are dropping. I also have quite some problems with changing the tenses especially with “wedi” and “oni” (don’t know if’ I’ve written this correctly but I’m too lazy at the moment to check :slight_smile: ). That “wedi” just slips somewhere away as the sentences are often shortened with for example, instead of “He has made something.” is said “He’s made something.” Then the present and past cause me a bit confusion.

But OK, This is not such a disaster. :slight_smile:

Hehe, If count long sentences out there’d be nothing left to measure in lesson 3 as it’s almost completely composed with long structures of all kinds. :smiley:

Last lesson for this week tomorrow and I even now can establish two things:

1. I’m not satisfied with quite amount of my results and
  2. I’d never survive High intensity challenge.

However the whole impression comes tomorrow after I finish the last lesson for this week - 6th one.

On Course 2 - First 6 lessons (counting Lesson 0 in of course)

Now I’ll do as much pure statistics as I can so that no one would feel this is a kind of moaning (again).

There were 871 things to be said in first 6 lessons of the course (what is quite less then in first 6 lessons of Course 1) and I’ve said 410 of them wrong. I was all the time below 70 % among which I only once made 63 % of the lesson correct - it was lesson 1 which also was a bit shorter then the others have been except of lesson 0 which was really shotr. I was also below 50 % three times: in lesson 0 - 42 %, in Lesson 3 - 49 % and in Lesson 5 - 47 %.

So the first week of Lesson 2 wrap up would be
Alltogether succcess would be 53 % what actually surprises me a bit especially after today’s Lesson 6 which i felt it went really bad.
I also have to say that the whole material is packed with long sentences so there’s no way I don’t count them into measuring as there really would be nothing to be measured at all if I do that.

Despite all material i went through I still believe that besides some short structures I could not produce any quality conversation at all as I found my brains almost uncapable of switching from one form and tense to another in short split of moment what is invitable to be able to in real live conversation.

Now I also know why Level 1 caused me such trouble. It might be better if I’d headstart with it but since I’ve gone through old Course 1 before, there is confusion in my head many times and I’m awed with those of you who can switch fortth and back from Course to Level and vice versa. Da iawn chi!

Now to week 2. This will be the last week I’ll go through material for the second time from then on there will be “fresh” material for me to study which might give even worse results. But, as we in Slovenia say, “Pustimo se presenetiti.” (Let us be surprised.) :slight_smile:

I know this is going to be an emotional challenge for you, Tatjana, but it is absolutely the right thing for you to be doing - I promise you :sunny:

1 Like

Just gone through the Lesson 7 of Course 2 and have to admit I don’t have a slidest clue for the most content about what I’m doing. Those “na” and “nac” structures just don’t stick into my brains. O, boy… I’m really wondering why people just couldn’t stick with those way simplier “ddim” structures?

And I swear if “If” sentences would I need to use I’d use the shortest as possible.

I can already see how the conversation would be inbetween welsh speaker and me
Welsh speaker: …
Me: …
Welsh speaker: …
Me: …
Welsh speaker: Oh, boy it has no use (and he/she turns away … :slight_smile: )
:slight_smile:

What were your stats on it, Tatjana?

I’m not quite sure. If I remember correctly it was 63 % but all thanks to those past structures for them, you, us which there were quite a lot and were quite simply short.

Gee, if you ask me today I can’t quite remember what all was in this lesson. I know there were long sentences, if structures, negative with na and nac …

That’s the ‘lack of conscious control’ I’m always talking about. You have to let go, and not worry about it. If you were over 60% on this lesson, you’re ready for the next one :sunny:

O, yes. I intend to. I just wondered yesterday when finishing the lesson to what numbers I’ll come at last lesson of Course 2. But, to make things clear, that was just a split of moment thought which made me more curious then frustrated. I imagined as low as under 30 % what actually made me laugh … :slight_smile:

It will be very interesting to see :sunny:

Just for fun of it … your predictions? (if you have any at all) :slight_smile:

I don’t make predictions on individual results. But I do predict that by the time you’ve finished Level 2, you’ll be more than ready for your first ‘No English’ Skype session with a fellow Welsh speaker…

Hmmmm … this is interesting answer I didn’t quite expect. Then you really have more belief in me then I hae myself … Thank you @aran.

Now I have to go on hunting for new computer which will be capable of bearing Skype connection. :slight_smile: