The '5 Minutes' Test - week 6 **Going PINK** šŸ’® (Badges Awarded Mondays)

Done!
(But @aran, when you said ā€œbo fi angenā€ you surely meant ā€œbod eisiau i fiā€, onā€™d do? :wink: )

6 Likes

Done! :smiley:

1 Like
3 Likes

DonešŸ˜€x

Done it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

done it but bit late in seeing your message

Done it :blush:

1 Like

It took me slightly under six minutes because most sentences went something like: ā€œDw i newydd ddechrau (snapped out instantely)ā€¦ erā€¦ what have I just started? I donā€™t knowā€¦ erā€¦ Have I just started anything recently? ā€¦ erā€¦ The crochet hat? No, Iā€™ve finished one and not yet started the other. ā€¦erā€¦ā€

Iā€™ll try again tomorrow and this time Iā€™ll think up some pretend activities in advance, things that I want to do, things that I canā€™t do, things that Iā€™ve forgotten, etc. because this activity highlights my problem with most artificial speaking exercises that we do in class. I struggle to think of things Iā€™ve really been doing. Next time Iā€™ll give myself permission to be more fanciful and say things like, ā€œDw i newydd ddechrau hyfforddi fy nraig fach!ā€

8 Likes

Yes - thereā€™s no need for any truth, honesty or normality in practice sentencesā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Superb - diolch, James! Iā€™ll see if I can get that to behave itself nowā€¦

[drum rollā€¦ tick, tockā€¦]

2 Likes

I am very glad you told us that, as I had assumed it when I said mine!!
ps If you tried to award me an Editor badge, something went wrong - likely I didnā€™t really deserve it!

1 Like

I remember a Dydh Stoffya ā€œcrammingā€ session during a Cornish Language Weekend (to prepare one for taking the language exam) where one teacher suggested to always use five of everything ā€“ you have five sisters, five television sets, went on holidays five months ago, etc.! Because that way you donā€™t have to worry about gender or mutations :smiley:

Since, as you said, the examiners are interested in seeing whether you can use the language; theyā€™re not necessarily interested in the truth about your personal life.

5 Likes

Okay, so it turned out that badges wasnā€™t a good fit - they donā€™t show in the thread, only when you click on someoneā€™s nameā€¦ but a bit of fiddling with custom groups and this little ā€˜flairā€™ effect on the profile pic has given us something which shows up a lot more obviouslyā€¦ :slight_smile:

So if youā€™ve done the 5 minute test and said so in here, youā€™ll have a little red speech mark on your pic - which means youā€™re ready to be having chats with people in Welshā€¦ :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

4 Likes

Interestingly enough, it doesnā€™t seem to be retroactive!

Eh? What? :slight_smile:

Wedi gwneud.

Is that like doing Dad dancing at a weddingā€¦? :wink:

1 Like

Either my browser had been caching things (so my earlier post, that I had already seen, still lacked the ā€œflairā€ while my later one, which was new to my browser) had it, or youā€™ve been working a bit of magic :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this Aran! Really great visual goal! I went through the list at Emma while she was eating her breakfast (does she get a ā€œsaintā€ badge too?!)

3 Likes

Done it. =)

2 Likes

Yes, that worked! Done it now in 3 minutes with the help of some flash cards to provide random nouns which which to finish the sentences.

Done it. Could we have more of these in the future?