The '5 Min' Test- week 18 'SENTENCES' recording **Pink to Red badge** šŸ”“ (Awarded Mondays)

So hereā€™s a shot at the first set of promptsā€“I hope I am doing this correctlyā€¦ many thanksā€¦

5 Likes

Excellent work, Josh! Great accent youā€™ve got coming along there - and youā€™re doing a good (and important) job of staying in Welsh there even when it starts to feel painful - well DONE :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

Thanks John. I just decided to do it and if I had any results, I would post it. I did far better than I thought I would.

3 Likes

Okay, so I removed my piddly 16-second entry and am replacing it with a whole minute. Wowza. I realize itā€™s not anything approaching 5 minutes (or 4, or 3, or even 2), but I wanted to have a shot at establishing a Soundcloud account, figuring out how my mic and the QuickTime recording app work (I donā€™t have a cell phone, so I canā€™t go the easy route), and posting something to get over my embarrassment at discovering what I sound like.

I donā€™t know why I should be embarrassed, as I was on radio for years, but I sound so different in another language! Itā€™s really weird to be very articulate in your native language, and then go all stumbly-bumbly in the one youā€™re trying to learn. :blush:

Anyway, here goes.

Myfanwy :grin:

7 Likes

OK my husband has our son for a few hours so Iā€™ve taken a run at this hoping it all worked and at least some of what I said us vaguely understandable yn y Gymraeg. Apparently under pressure I revert to the first few lessons of course 1 and forget everything Iā€™ve learned since!

3 Likes

Thatā€™ll teach me to read things in the right orderā€¦ :wink:

I think that deserves red - you were only a handful off the 10 sentences, and itā€™s 10 sentences inside 5 minutes, rather than a target of 5 minutes - so here you areā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, my! Diolch yn fawr iawn! :blush:

1 Like

This is my first attempt. It has made me realise I need to have a go speaking about topics more! It was quite hard to think of something to say haha. Diolch.

2 Likes

Okay. Hereā€™s my proper 5-minute test for Week 6 6MWS. It was terrifying, as you can probably tell by the way my voice is shaking, and took several tries before my tongue more-or-less stopped twisting up in knots. Oddly, it wasnā€™t the Welsh that was excessively difficult, but thinking of and remembering things to say in English was impossible (I think Iā€™ve mentioned memory problems, and what they most annoyingly affect are my English verbal skills). In the end, I went so blank on the English that I had to write out some lengthier prompts, but I didnā€™t write out one cheat in Welsh, soā€¦ yay.

Of course, if Iā€™d repeated over and over ā€œI canā€™t remember how to say what I wanted to say,ā€ I could have done that without writing down or thinking of any English at all. Probably would be a very useful sentence, too!

5 Likes

Donā€™t put yourself down - that was excellent! :star: :star2:

1 Like

https://soundcloud.com/naomi-vallejo-142360491/naomi-5-minute-challenge

Hereā€™s my attempt !

3 Likes

Outside of your speaking being excellent, I really love your ā€œScreamā€ avatar! :grin: Thatā€™s exactly what I feel like every time I hit that RECORD button :scream:

2 Likes

Thank you and well done. They sound great!

1 Like

Aw thanks, I need to record more to see if I have improved and get used to speaking it out loud. Ha gotta love a cross of Home Alone and the Edvard Munch :scream:

2 Likes

Hi there. I have recorded The 5 sentences and sent to Soundcloud - (I hope). And I also ā€œSentā€ my one word for week 4. Not sure if you have got them. Is there any way of telling? I hit privacy like you said but should I do anything else or would it better to leave it on public. Who does that go to? As you can tell - Iā€™m well out of my technical comfort zone! But always happy to learn new things.

1 Like

If you want us to see/hear the recording, you have to post the link to it here. Pasting the link into your message will be enough, the software will do the rest in order to embed it on here. Otherwise we canā€™t access the recording since we donā€™t know your username on Soundcloud and if recording is private, even if weā€™d know your username on there, we wouldnā€™t be able to see/listen to it. I believe you have to set things like anyone with the link can listen to it or something like this.

1 Like

Thank you, Tatjana. What link? Where do I find that?

OK. Letā€™s do some little tutorial here:

You uploaded your sound/recording to SoundCloud, correct? As it uploads, you get the link to that recording. Something like this:

Copying the link and pasting it on here will do all the magic. For example link like this: https://soundcloud.com/tatjana-prelog-knightghost/cwestiwn-cymraeg-5-anifail
will produce something like this:

Just to remind you, donā€™t use ā€œHyperlinkā€ functkion (a little chain icon) but purely paste the link into the post. This will do everything (as you can see from my example). Whoever wants to listen to your recording is just a click on the start button away from listening to it.

Hope it helps.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, here are my sentences for week 6 (eek!). I have no idea whether Iā€™m making any sense at all as Iā€™ve not listened to the recording past the first half sentence.

5 Likes