The '5 Minutes' Test - week 6 **Going PINK** šŸ’® (Badges Awarded Mondays)

Done it!

Bore da!

Sorry that no badges were awarded yesterday - it was Bank Holiday here in the UK. Your new Speaking Practice badges are on their way today! :smiley:

Great job everyone! You are now PINK! :smiley:

@megan-tiddeman
@tony-19
@Semele
@miriamj
@jane-bowe
@Jec
@dawn-fletcher
@lorna-bale
@sally-llewellyn

1 Like

Hi. Is this the right place to post to you that Iā€™ve done the 5min challenge? If soā€¦ then ā€œ yipppeā€¦ Iā€™ve done it!ā€

sorry i thought this was supposed to be a beginners course.
i have diligently worked my way up to challenge 6 as prescribed and find the 5 min test impossible other than some simple utterances for around three quarters of the suggested list. it seems these threads have been completed by some rather advanced welsh students. where did they get all their apparent grammar and writing ability, not from the first 5 challenges

The sentences in this task can be as simple as you like, and no-one is asking that they need a wide vocabulary or perfect grammar - the idea is that you pick out blocks of things from the first 5 challenges and ā€œmix and matchā€ with other blocks, and this helps you begin to form your own sentences rather than just repeating ones youā€™ve previously heard.
Some people find this easier than others, which is completely normal - there is not a ā€œone-size-fits-allā€ course in any form!
There could be many reasons why some people seem more advanced yet on the same level - perhaps theyā€™ve done a different course in the past but want to start again from scratch; maybe theyā€™re using extra tools outside of SSiW such as Duolingo; perhaps they spoke Welsh as a child but ā€˜lostā€™ it and now want to come back to itā€¦ and as for other threads/topics on the forum, there are indeed more advanced learners who still want to be part of this community - SSiW is so much more than just a beginners course! But the main thing is, there is no competition here, and no grades, everyone is on their own path at their own pace, so donā€™t be disheartened, donā€™t measure yourself against others, do what you can when you can, and you will get there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Done it!

1 Like

Yes I can! Sarah

Done :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Done it! very satisfying :slight_smile:

All done :white_check_mark: thank you I

Done!!:grinning::grinning:

That sounds as though youā€™re doing pretty well! It might be worth doing 5 and 6 again, to try and get to the point where you can make some simple utterances for everything on the list, but you seem to be off to a good start.

And as a point of interest, weā€™ve had people spend intensive Welsh-only weeks with us whoā€™ve said that most of what they ended up saying came essentially from the first 5 sessionsā€¦ itā€™s a very broad and important baseā€¦ :slight_smile:

Huge congratulations @chrys @sarah-meek @sarah-duncan-jones @amanda-greenough @fi-benson @paula-15 @aimee-6 - you are now PINK! :smiley:

2 Likes

Posted in wrong place

Done it!

Done it! Dw iā€™n hapus dros ben achos dw iā€™n mwynhau dysgu siarad Cymraeg.

1 Like

Done it!

Done it! :smile:

Hi I have completed the 5 minute test but donā€™t seem to have managed to get this info to the right place? i canā€™t even work out how to getonto the slack pageā€¦ i was on it earlier, but not sure how I GOT THERE? I must have clicked something but god knows what. Sorry to be so dense?