The '5 Minutes' Test - week 6 **Going PINK** 💮 (Badges Awarded Mondays)

Thanks for that suggestion Aran,

I had not heard of this ‘symbiotic economy’ approach–the things I am learning! However, somewhat related, although this may be more for the ‘Are you sitting comfortably?’ thread:

Do you or others on the Forum remember when folk had ‘allotments’ and exchanged produce? Then there was the cup of sugar over the garden wall routine which our neighbour regularly called out for because she baked a lot. An hour later she would pass a plate of warm, delicious Welsh Cakes back over the wall–I reckon we came off the winners there. Living in a terrace house, perhaps the funniest cooperative effort or exchange involved our other neighbour who a magnificent voice and often performed in chapels or at charity events, but had no accompanist to rehearse with. Over that garden wall would come the sheet music for me to play on our piano while she practiced in her house then would tap out in code on the adjoining living-room wall to indicate if we were to take ‘once more from the top’. The joys of growing up in Splott, Cardiff–happy days!

Now back to Sound Cloud…

Cheers,
Marilyn

6 Likes

One final hurdle to go Friends,

Can’t believe it–success at last downloading and recording on Audacity-- but now the final hurdle… How do I post the file to the Forum please? When I try to upload it here I can only find a way to attach photos.

Thank you for your patience and help!
Marilyn

PS Never could get SoundCloud to work for me–the final message was that is was ‘discontinued’. Pity.

You uploaded on SoundCloud? If so you just copy/paste link on here and the thing is done. Try and if something doesn’t work for some reason I’ll (if not any other member first) take a look what went wrong or what you have to do differently. But this should be the simplest part I believe.

Hi Tatjana,

Sadly no–SoundCloud says it is ‘discontinued’ so I cannot upload to it. However, I have made the recording in Audacity. When I try to copy and paste into here only the title copies, not the recording. I keep trying.

Still one hurdle to jump :confused: There must be a way…

Thank you,
Marilyn

Hi again Tatjana,

When I try to copy and paste here, this is all that happens…

Marilyn’s Welsh Recording copy

I can email the file successfully no problem, but not upload it here unless once I press the reply button magically the file is part of the response. So here goes…

Fingers and toes crossed,
Marilyn

We’re going to need to investigate this bit - we don’t have the forum set up to accept uploads of sound files, so that we don’t end up getting hit by nasty hosting costs…

How are you accessing SoundCloud? When are you seeing the ‘discontinued’ message? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you use DropBox?

This is the solution. You will not be able to embed the recording though, but the link will do to click on and listen.

So you don’t have a PC, just iPad? With PC it would be as easy as saying cake. What about that?

EDIT:
If nothing of suggested by @aran or me doesn’t work and if you trust me, I can “borrow” you my own DropBox or Soundcloud. I pay both so I have unlimited upload time on SoundCloud and big storage on DropBox. If nobody else, you deserve to be helped this way if neccessary. Just tose the coin into wishing well if you feel like …

1 Like

https://soundcloud.com/user-75735446/Marilyn’s-Welsh-Recording-Copy

Fingers, toes and even eyes crossed at this point… just hoping it works.

Thank you for patience,
Marilyn

Helo Aran,

I was accessing SoundCloud directly from the App I downloaded on my iPad. It downloaded fine, but repeatedly stalled as I tried to upload my recording from ‘AudioCopy’ giving an error message saying I had exceeded my allowance–but I was a new user, so that couldn’t be correct. After several attempts its homepage then displayed the notice ‘discontinued’. At that point I deleted SoundCloud from my iPad.

Today I downloaded ‘Audacity’ on to a Mac and re-recorded my 5 minutes (actually more like 2 1/2) as near as I could yet again, this time on Audacity. It worked and I was able to play it back, file it, email myself and a friend. All OK. Next I signed on to SoundCloud from scratch on the Mac. That went smoothly and I successfully uploaded the Audacity track, played it back etc. So it is there. I also uploaded my recording into Dropbox, but it demanded I sign up for a 30-day upgrade before it would allow me to share the file, so I reverted to SoundCloud and have now entered the https link in a separate post to SSiW. Let’s hope that worked.

Failing that, I will be buying my young musician friend (aka personal sound engineer) a glass of wine or two at the pub tomorrow evening and promised to do some fancy needlework in return for her to crack the ‘sound barrier’ :slight_smile:

In retrospect, I should have taken a screen shot on my iPad before deleting SoundCloud to show the ‘discontinued’ notice. Perhaps I am supposed to be buying one or some of the in-App purchases, but there is such a dizzying array of editing/sharing Apps I wouldn’t know which would help.

Sorry for this saga, but as Max Boyce would say “where there is a will there is a way!” :grinning:

Hwyl.
Marilyn

And here is my Dropbox link…

EDIT by @tatjana
Hope you don’t mind, but I’ve put link into text so that it’s clickable. Dropbox let’s you put the link separately and it embeds into the forum post, but it obviously does’t alowe the embed to really work so the link was unaccessable. Now, if you click on “my Dropbox link” it should carry you directly to the playable sound file.

2 Likes

I’m late to this thread, but @tatjana you are a shining :star2:!!! Diolch! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That link doesn’t work for me, but try this:

(the URL ends with “marilyns-welsh-recording-copy”, all lowercase and without punctuation)

I got it from the “Share” menu on the post which I found from https://soundcloud.com/user-75735446/

7 Likes

Diolch.

I’m doing my best.

2 Likes

Diolch @philipnewton I didn’t have the time to take a deeper look.

2 Likes

Absolutely amazing Philip!

You seem to have broken the ‘sound barrier’ for me. I cannot thank you and everyone else enough for helping and cheering me on as I stumbled through that last stretch towards the finish line. But it has definitely been worth it.

Diolch yn fawr iawn!
Marilyn

6 Likes

Done. Wedi gwneud. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Done it!

6 Likes

Done!

5 Likes

I did it. WooHoo.

5 Likes

Done it